Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Radio Head?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

My youngest daughter has taken some of her Christmas money and purchased tickets to see Radio Head in Atlanta March 1st at like Philips Arena. I’m taking her…Urgggg, I don’t think I’m going to enjoy an arena show but it will be her first (she is almost 14) I’m a little embarrassed that I don’t know this band Radio Head…I’ve heard of them but….is this show going to suck or is is going to be a fun evening. How is a band that I don’t know much about playing an arena size event…the tickets are over 100 $ WTF? I’m confused but hey, I just have to pay for the gas, parking and dinner. I think a much more productive evening would involve me eating about three pot cookies and just playing every damn Radio Head song she likes on her Father Speakers!

essgee09
    Participant

They`ve been really popular over the past 15 years and everyone seems to think they`re The Beatles or Pink Floyd.I`m not a fan but if I had kids that wanted to see them I would`nt say it`ll be as bad as some other bands out there

King Tubby
    Participant

Radiohead bore the crap out of me — mopey, insufferably pretentious “art rock” — but if you get baked there might be a moment or two when they generate a mildly compelling sound.

King Tubby
    Participant

Radiohead bore the crap of me — mopey, insufferably pretentious “art rock” — but if you get baked there might be a moment or two when they generate a mildly compelling sound.

King Tubby
    Participant

I don’t know why that posted three times, and why I can’t figure out how to delete the other two……

Annastefka
    Participant

Yeah, I know why it posted twice…the Universe really wanted to drive home the truth. :-S. She’s 14, She’s excited, we’ll make the best of it….always something interesting to do in Atlanta.

tom
    Participant

I thought the Bends was the best album of the 90’s. OK Computer was awesome too. I havent liked anything since. They were great live, but I was lucky enough to catch them in tiny venues touring for the Bends and OK Computer.

michielster
    Participant

Well, Radiohead are my favorite band, I gotta say it’s pretty cool if your 14 year old kid is into them, as their music (especially the more recent albums) incorporates alot of unusual/experimental sounds and structures. She must have good music taste! I’m posting beacause I think you’re very lucky to be able to see them with your daughter, but because you don’t know them and the other negative reactions in this thread might be going in fear of a bad show. Now I don’t know what music you enjoy apart from Dino Jr, so I can’t tell whether you might like them or not. They started out as an alternative rock band, made two awesome rock records in the 90s (The Bends and OK Computer). Here’s the video for Just, one of their earlier rock songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8&ob=av2e Jonny Greenwood, their main guitarist, is a great musician. While his style is quite different from J’s, he is an incredible player and apart from guitar also masters piano, ondes martenot, viola, harmonica, and has composed classical music for orchestras.
    Then in the 00s they started incorporating more electronic sounds in their music, delivering Kid A, a pretty experimental album. They’ve done a lot more since, and each album is new and different. Whether you like them or not, they’ve been very influential, do new things with each album they release and are a truely original and daring band. On top of that, they are great live, and for a kid as young as yours, a great starting point to get into all sorts of music. I got into them when I was 15, and they introduced me to lots of other great bands.

A couple songs I consider some of their best, check them out, you might enjoy them:
    Idioteque:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9UkgkzUkUA&feature=fvst
    The National Anthem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7MeqSIj4E
    There There:

Annastefka
    Participant

Some of the first shows I went to see were big shows at venues like this. (first show in 1977) It’s really wasn’t until the mid ’80’s….and partly due to Dinosaur Jr. and other bands that I really saw how much fun live music could be in a smaller venue. I have a question for J Mascis…..really, I wish someone would ask this question in the next interview because I’m curious.
    J Mascis…Are you making a lot of money doing what you do? I’m really glad you are not asking almost $100 to come and see you play. Your tickets are affordable but the last time you were in Athens I saw that you were driving that huge honking tour bus around. That thing must eat a lot of gas and I suppose you must rent it as well. Then, you have to pay to eat and of course you have to pay your “make music together friends” as my Japanese friend calls his band mates. Oh, and the other folks you have to pay….the sound guy, the guys that unload “the stuff” for you and other people, like the ones who make phone calls for you and stuff.

Hey, J Mascis, I’m curious, like Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, could you just go ahead and post your last years tax return? Curiosity killed the cat so, are you making lots of money…lots of memories, or both?

While I’m really just having a bit of fun drinking my coffee on a Sunday morning, I am serious, however about my curiosity. I’ve paid $10 fucking bucks to see Dinosaur Jr play not $100, Do musicians like J, Lou and Murph make a good living or is it like “tour and work your ass off just to keep your nose above water” (which is where I am in my life right now, but by the Grace of God, my house is paid for, Thank You!)
    and it’s a pretty good life, if I do say so myself. Are you driving that tour bus to Alaska for the shows in March? (LMAO) God, that would be a good road trip!

Annastefka
    Participant

of course, just kidding about the tax returns, sometimes joking doesn’t come across with computer type…you know what I mean?

laurenedonnell
    Participant

I’ve got to chime in on this too even though I’m obviously too late. I’m interested to hear what you thought about the show…

I went and saw Radiohead in an arena venue as well two weekends ago in Houston. It was a spectacular show, musically. I also have a few freinds who saw them the following week in Austin and reported having the same experience. While I agree that the Bends was a mind blowing album, I also really loved Kid A, and they played a lot of that. They are definitely different than DJ, but that’s okay. It’s good different, in my opinion.

The really funny thing is that I live in Dallas, and on the drive down to Houston, I was listening to a lot of DJ. When I arrived at my buddy’s place, I told him that the only thing that would make this show better was if it were to start with, “And for tonight only – special opener Dinosaur Jr.” Didn’t happen. But it was a kick ass show anyway. Damn near perfect, actually.

And as to the money… Radiohead has a much, much larger fanbase than Dinosaur Jr. If they didn’t play in large venues, they wouldn’t be able to reach as large of a population of that fanbase, and that would suck. As long as the quality of the sound is as good as it was at the Toyota Center, I can be happy. Of course, with large venues come large price tags. I would think that Radiohead has a bit more overhead to cover than DJ does. There are definitely pluses to seeing a show in an intimate setting, but sometimes if you like the music, you take it where you can get it. When I saw DJ at Lollapalooza, it wasn’t exactly a small crowd… Then again, I’ve seen them several times in Austin for smaller shows, and it was just as good.

Annastefka
    Participant

lauren, I just read that you asked, what I thought of the show…funny, we didn’t end up going. After, I went out of my way to alter my schedule and made arrangements to stay at my sisters house….a couple of days before the show, I came home and my daughter and my husband were laughing…he helped her to sell the tickets for twice what she paid for them and then she said (she’s 13, almost 14) Wow, I could make a business out of doing that…and then I had to tell her…I think that’s sort of illegal.

empire3

I remember reading years ago (so could be a little different) but they are big dinosaur jr fans and thom yorke said we thought everyone would say we are ripping off dinosaur jr for Pablo Honey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.