Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Fossils Punk Rock Aerobics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Wait… was that sent by J.? Huh?

Cool either way.

Robert
    Participant

Punk Rock Aerobics, now that’s something I’d like to witness! Especially people freaking out, listening to Freakscene [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I would also love to check that out, heres hoping they post some pics or webcast a class or two. Wonder if people figured out who was taking their cash at the door… [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Hey J here punk rock aerobics. A punk workout from Maura Jasper in Boston.

People go free form pogo during Freakscene I took money at the door for saturdays 2pm class at the middle east in cambridge. They play Freakscene at every workout and have gotten tons of tv and newspaper press in Boston check out punkrockaerobics.com

later J

dfkgurl
    Participant

What? No video available? I have tried a lot of video workouts and the most unbearable thing about them is the music. Usually the cheesiest in the world. I actually just donated every one I had bought to charity cause I just couldn’t take the tunes.

Punk rock aerobics is just what I’ve been looking for and never finding! Maybe since they are getting lots of press, there will be a video or Florida franchise coming my way!!

SG
    Participant

Sounds cool as long as Richard Simmons does`nt get into it and releases a video like"slamming to the Pistols".

maxini
    Participant

Kool idea indeed. Working out to the Stooges’ Funhouse sure as hell would whip me into shape in no time [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

pruce76
    Participant

Soon they’ll be teaching line dancing to the "take a run at the sun.

Anthony
    Participant

that video is cool when evan dando smacks the boom box with the brick

bob
    Participant

Article in Maxim:Blender

"1-2-3-4…
    …pogo!" Boston punks give Richard Simmons’s Sweating to the Oldies a DIY makeover. J. Mascis gives it a thumbs-up

TWO AGING PUNKS have started a punk-rock aerobics class held in Boston-area nightclubs. The class, aptly, is called "Punk Rock Aerobics."

The class encouarges attendees to throw themselves around to songs by the Sex Pistols and the Stooges. But pint glasses are filled with water, cigarettes are temporarily stashed, and people lying on the floor are totally conscious.

Since August, Hilken Mancini, 31, of the Boston band Fuzzy, and Maura Jasper, 35, a visual artist, have led growing numbers of tattooed clubgoers through a one-hour regiment of Pete Townshend air-guitar windmills, quad-building pogoing, and muscle toning lat pumps using cinder block bricks as weights.

"I used to go to the Y, and people stared at me like I was a freak," Mancini explains. "I’d much rather dance around to a Dinosaur Jr. song than some techno shit."

To that end, while Mancini uses the music of blondie as a cool-down, Dinosaur Jr.’s "Freak Scene" comes at the class’s sweaty climax.

"They’ll probably equate the song with the pain they felt after the aerobics class," groans Dinosaur Jr. honcho J. Mascis. Still, the veteran guitar hero, who is also dating Mancini, is amused by the track’s new use. "I’ll have to consider the aerobic possibilities of my other songs." – Nina Willdorf

there is also a picture of J and Maura (for those of you not in the know Maura did the artwork for lots of the early dino stuff) with punk rock aerobics shirts and a picture of Hilken with cinderblocks in her hands.
    and what’s with this other stuff are J and Hilken really dating?

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Cool, thanks for posting that Bob! They is also a brief snippit in Rolling Stone this month (with Alecia Keys on the cover)

[img]http://www.freakscene.net/news/images/rspunkrockaerobicsa.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freakscene.net/news/images/rspunkrockaerobicsb.gif[/img]

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: jeremiah ]</p>

passion
    Participant

Hey Jeremiah…cool pics!…J doesnt seem so shy… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

passion
    Participant

…yeah…thats why we want to be his friends…! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

bob
    Participant

yeah on the right of the picture.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: bob ]</p>

maxini
    Participant

hehe, can’t stop lmao at that first pic [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.