Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

RedBull will be live-streaming from Primavera 2016 over the next few days including the Dinosaur Jr set

http://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1KNWFRCZ91W11/primavera-sound

Redbull TV will be live streaming Primavera Sound Barcelona 2016

empire3
    empire3

Is that a tele? Unusual for J !?

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I think J has been using a tele during recording for years and seemed to break them out more on tour during the Fog years

The whole show is up on Dime now which makes me very happy since my connection hung halfway through the show.

if you go to upload any of this to youtube beware that it will probably get blocked before it finishes processing. That was my experience. I think they (redbull) has it scanning for the watermark on youtube. Avoid that extra strike on your acct!

Obseqio
    Participant

Empire,

I would say it’s J going back to the tele. I think he first started touring with them in ’94. He used to tour with the blue mirror pick guard tele and a bunch of jazzmasters until the jazzmasters got stolen in ’06. He stopped taking 5-7 guitars on tour opting for 2-3 after that incident. So for him to bring a tele with him shows he’s going back.

I don’t expect to see the blue mirror pick guard one on tour again though. It’s a ’54 worth a lot of money and worth more to j. I do expect that he would you it to record though.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I rolled the dice. Doubt it will be up for long

Dinosaur Jr – Primavera Sound Festival 2016

empire3

Cool!

Yea, I just watched a few bits from the hand it over tour and he was swapping between (Tele / Jazz) I just forgot he did that.

I still think about that stolen stuff!

Matthoney
    Participant

J never used any Telecasters in the Fog, or at least as far as I’ve seen or read about….he switched to the Teles in the mid 90s for Dinosaur (favoring two different blue ones), but by the Fog he had decidedly scaled back to just the Jazzmasters. He still uses them in studio for the leads and solos.

Personally I don’t think he will keep it around long. Since about 2005 J has tried using different guitars for shows (the Rory Gallagher Strat, the reverse Flying V), but always goes back to the JMs. Always nice to hear different sounds though!

Obseqio
    Participant

Ah good point Matthoney,

I think once I got More Light J already had the accident and, as far as I could tell, he didn’t tour with a full band much after that. I saw him twice in 2002 and they were both acoustic set and maybe a couple songs on electric with the opening band like Cobra Verde.

I will say that the cover of More Light J is holding the telecaster. It always gave me the impression that most of that album was done with the tele, but that’s a huge assumption on my part and I’m probably wrong.

Hatchetface
    Participant

I think the blue sparkle esquire/telecaster got prety damaged when his studio burned down right before Free so Free came out. I think he tried to get it restored though, I remember reading that it was the most expensive guitar he had ever bought at that time

mind_glow
    Participant

I saw J + The Fog back in 2001 in Sweden. He used two different Teles at that show.
    Remember that he switched guitar between every song.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.