Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Premier Guitar – Rig Rundown: Dinosaur Jr.’s J Mascis

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zwischenzug
    zwischenzug
    Participant

PG’s Shawn Hammond is on location at the Majestic in Madison, Wisconsin, checking out Dinosaur Jr. frontman J Mascis’ rig. In this segment, he shows us his arsenal of modified Jazzmasters, a powerful four-amp setup, and then demonstrates some of the tones in his pedalboard.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20121127/2079/Rig_Rundown_Dinosaur_Jrs_J_Mascis.aspx

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

awesome. I was just checking this out

turboviet
    Participant

Cool, but I would be more interested in a studio rig rundown (he talks a bit about it at the end), I wish he would use other guitars than just Jazzmaster on stage

zwischenzug
    zwischenzug
    Participant

Fender Jazzmaster is his trademark guitar (sound). I guess it’s kinda hard to use other guitars (Gibsons for example) when you have your own signature model.

turboviet
    Participant

yeah but it’s been a long time J hasn’t used any Jazzmaster on a record.
    Anyway I watched it in its entirely and the video is awesome, especially when he goes through all his sounds.

Obseqio
    Participant

J used to tour with the Tele, but after he got all that gear stolen he scaled back a bit. He could still tour with those, and I did notice at the Bug 9:30 show he had a Tele there. But it looks like he realized that it’s really unnecessary for the road. Looks like that Jazzmaster is all he needs. As far as recording goes, he’s using more than just the Tele. There’s no way he’s doing whammy on solos without one. He’s also been vidioed using Jazzmasters while record recent records.

Anyways, a search on here should provide enough information on his recording gear, but yeah I would mind seeing an updated video on that. I certainly found out something new, J’s not using Curt Novak pickups in any of those guitars at least. Very interesting that he chose the Antiquity’s. They are the closest to the real deal out there. Also, the fuzzface is missing. Is it broke? Too valuable to bring on tour? Doesn’t like it anymore? So many unanswered questions…

turboviet
    Participant

Yeah that sparkling blue tele was cool.
    Remember when he was playing the rory gallagher strat on tour, always thought it was cooler than the Jazzmasters …

Annastefka
    Participant

Oh, I’m dying here…not kidding, I’m on day 6 of bed rest, so bored I decided to watch this. Wow…..that was a little slice of boy heaven….man, I’m so slack, if I were J, the only guitars I would haul around on a tour would be the top performers, trusty crusty 1 and it’s double, trusty crusty 2. I’ve seen trusty crusty 1 (the crustier) handle a lot of work. I wish I didn’t feel so bad because there were some things that made me laugh but my ass has been kicked so hard to the ground that I have little energy to make humor. I’m just too weak. Although, the last shower I had was on Monday and I had a friend come and visit me and she was like “good god girl, let me help you, you’ve got J Mascis hair” It looked really just about like J’s in this video. We got the hair fixed up, you know when you feel like you are dying you just don’t give a shit. She was like, you will feel better if we fix your hair…..and she was (ba_pa_dum) incorrect, I still feel like shit. Had to edit…wait…I think J said that he just likes to travel around these days with trusty crusty 1 and 2…but it seems like I always see more than that.

King Tubby
    Participant

My friend and I passed J on the sidewalk last night on our way to eat just before the Pearl Street gig. He looked stunningly bedraggled. We were stunned.

Obseqio
    Participant

@ King Tubby – Somebody get that man a spa treatment for Christmas! 😀

King Tubby
    Participant

On stage he looked basically how he looks in the Rig Rundown video (minus the cap), which is how he generally looks. But on the street he looked seedier and more rundown than I’ve ever seen him. The huge wool hat and schlumpy ski jacket didn’t help matters.

The show was great. They’re playing at a really high level these days, and there were numerous moments when J genuinely interacted with Lou and Murph, turning towards them and egging them on like he used to with the Schools/Spence Fog. He even smiled a couple of times! I made the trip back east because I wanted to hear some of the new material before they drop those tunes and it was a good thing I did — they’ve already dropped two of them (See It On Your Side & What Was That).

Obseqio
    Participant

King Tubby said: They’re playing at a really high level these days, and there were numerous moments when J genuinely interacted with Lou and Murph, turning towards them and egging them on like he used to with the Schools/Spence Fog. He even smiled a couple of times!

Yep, it was like that when I saw them in D.C. and and Philly, J’s having a good time. They’re all having a good time. J said, “Murph likes to lay ‘Just Like Heaven’ because the girls like it”. He’s totally trying to set Murph up with a girl!

Annastefka
    Participant

Stunningly bedraggled…… gosh Tubby there might have been a bit of divine inspiration involved in the throwing together of those two words. I really did laugh out loud…brilliant. J has been working the bedraggled look for some time now. I start to feel bedraggled every time I see a list of Dinosaur Jr tour dates….it’s like on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on OFF, on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on OFF.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.