Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions PrefixMag takes a look back at ‘Where You Been’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster
    empire3

I could write a book about my love for this album, I can sing the solos 🙂

one thing, Keeblin ? He could have looked at the track titles ha ha

tonas

It seems like the author forgot that J wrote Murphs drum parts. I think that alone discounts most of his arguement in the article.

Nowadays J is a bit mellower and allows Murph to come up with his parts with little guidance, but that wasn’t always the case.

I agree that Where You Been is a great album but not for the reasons the author states.

empire3

Completely agree with Tonas…..

Always long train rides so (and please forgive my NME/Q/pretentious or just plain crap review)
    I thought I’d just start with out there….. Anyway just a bit of fun for me.

When a storm comes a few drops of rain tap the window as the wind swirls, bringing an uneasy atmospheric feel to the air, you can feel it, a shift in pressure, a release of power and with all weather a undercurrent that nature can be devastating beautiful even at its gloomiest. To try and put into words the opening rift and awakening solo to Out There is out there, but I’ve not been taught these words…. I have not seen a tornado or witnessed its devastating impact but if you could capture it then J Mascis has. I don’t know anything behind the meaning of this song and for me as with all music people should interpret for themselves, there’s no right equation it’s just an infinite amount of things you’ve gone through that take you somewhere. So back to Oz, and a song that has more notes in it then a whole Oasis album is churning through where you live, this is music about death – not a person per-say, but an idea, a day to day way of living, people well have different opinions but I challenge anyone to find a melodic guitar solo that plays as if a choir is in unison with a full backing orchestra and although its one of my favourite songs of all times, sometime, just some ………I’m glad it’s over.

Obseqio
    Participant

Wow, that was pretty terrible. I’m not familiar enough with Lou Barlow’s work to make the deductions the author made, but I can smell a ‘huge leap’ from a mile away.

1. Did J Mascis produce ‘Freed Pig’?

I could do a google search or something to find out, but while this guy is taking wild stabs in the air I’m going to take a less wild try at it and say say no.

2. Murph may drum on albums, but I’m sure we all know J writes the drum parts. Murph is great and does contribute to the sounds, but there’s not much of a collaboration to speak of.

3. The great ‘leap’ the author takes to insinuate that songs like “Not the Same”, “Going Home” and “Keeblin'” were J’s conscientious attempts to make songs like Lou Barlow. Pft!!! I mean, as if! This guy is trying to paint J as a guy so concerned what Lou Barlow is doing that he’s trying to sound like him. Really? You wish buddy! It’s an interesting thought, but you are asking your readers to compare and the conclusion is uhhh, no!

4. He reverts back to some concocted collaboration between J and Sebadoh! Am I a big idiot? Will later posts prove that he’s right? Because as far as I know they did not talk to each other during this period.

5. The writer really wants to believe that somehow Lou Barlow has a connection and influence in Dinosaur Jr. in the 90’s. For what reason I don’t know, but I can tell you I don’t really see it or the point of it. The issue is moot, but moreover makes the writing look ridiculous to me.

And those are my thoughts Jeremiah….

goodguytoo
    Participant

J produced the Breeders EP Head to Toe that had a cover of seBADoh Freed Pig

Obseqio
    Participant

I remember he produced the Breeders album. Had no idea Freed Pig was on there. Interesting, very interesting.

empire3

When searching discogs the other day I noticed he produced a track on Hole – Live through this ….. Not that this has anything to do with much, just kinda interesting.

goodguytoo
    Participant

Speaking of freed pig. This song is a self reflection by loo on loo. Only negative line on J is your big head has more room to grow. All other lines refer to Loo.

goodguytoo
    Participant

Speaking of freed pig. This song is a self reflection by loo on loo. Only negative line on J is your big head has more room to grow. All other lines refer to Loo.

Obseqio
    Participant

Glad you clarified that goodguytoo, when it came out it was presented as a song about J Mascis. My impression was that Lou was saying J was a freed pig meaning that he’s done a lot of wrong, but people give him a free pass. I know those old days are all water under the bridge now, but an integral part of their history.

goodguytoo
    Participant

It has often presented as an anti J song. I am sure there is a lot going on. But it also has a lot of self reflection. Not sure about the title. Listen to it keeping in mind Loo is self reflecting and it changes the tone of the song.

Hybridge
    Participant

I like wild conjecture as much as the next person but this writer gives baseless claims, tenuous logic, and confabulation a bad name.

Aside from the fundamental stupidity of the article’s premise, there’s a mean-spirited wrongness throughout the piece that is a mockery of the music and music criticism itself.

By the end of the article the reader is fatigued (from wading through bad logic, lousy prose, meandering malignancy), not convinced.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.