Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Dinosaur/J News & Discussions › Play Louder Review Of More Light
- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 22 years, 3 months ago by OriginalPosterLost.
March 4, 2001 at 3:50 pm #43597
J Mascis his Voice is Pure Sex
Forget Queens Of The Stone Age.
No, don’t. Rush out, buy their CD, headbang yourself into something approaching senility and then hear this. It rocks. It rocks so heavy and strong and loud, you wonder quite what Mascis has been doing with himself since the demise of Dinosaur Jr. It does the whole guitars-in-a-wind-tunnel bit so effectively, it makes you wish that the British shoegazers Â and yes, we are talking Ride and Coldplay here Â would just pack up their Flaming Lips records and bugger off back to the sports field. It has three songs, at least, that are heaped with laconic grace and such splendour, you almost do a double-take and think you’re listening to Dinosaur’s debut back in ’88 or whenever that was. You know, back when you were genuflecting at the front of the Fulham Greyhound, videoed for posterity on your knees in front of Lou and J. You weren’t? Ahem. That must’ve been future Wiiija boss Gary Walker and me then.
The three songs for today are ‘Waistin’ Â a ‘Freakscene’ or ‘The Wagon’ for today’s benighted generation of bed-wetters. Forget the guitar for one moment, riding on the coattails of turbulence, Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine adding more than welcome assists. Listen to J’s voice. Pure sex! I tell you. Pure sex! Then there’s the laidback, but on-fire, ‘Ground Me To You’ that sidles up to you as sweet and sensuous as last night’s cup of tea. ‘Back Before You Go’ and single ‘Where’d You Go’ are just built for standing upright in the wind, the rain lashing back your ears.
I could go on, and probably will Â but you need to hear this. Believe me. You need to hear this.
reviewed on 30 Oct 2000
Sometimes all I really want to feel is love
Sometimes I’m angry that I feel so angry
Sometimes my feelings get in the way
Of what I really feel I needed to sayMarch 4, 2001 at 4:19 pm #57406
First time I had heard his voice described that way as well…odd but very cool at the same time.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)