Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Philly show last night

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Caught the Philly show last night. I saw the DC show the night before- and I have to say the DC show smoked the Philly show. Only for a couple of reasons. The crowd aspect was quite mellow. Id say the venue was barely half full- if that. The boyz came on at 9:30
    on schedule and opened with The Lung. J fully wailed that tune. The theater seemed louder than the DC show (ears still ringing) and i chose to wear ear plugs for philly. They played a few less songs than they did in DC and only 2 encores vrs the 3 in DC. They didnt do Severed Lips or Wagon like they did the night before. As usual J really gave us alot of feedback and distortion in Philly. At some points it was just blindingly loud in there. After seeing the Philly show i remained super happy that i caught the DC show. Could it be the DC show was on a saturday nite vrs philly’s earlier sunday nite gig? Maybe the crowd was hungover from the nite before of partying? The crowd was undoubtly more mellow than the DC crowd- and I feel the band was a touch more mellow as well. I would of loved if J broke out some mellower tunes- seemed like the mood was right for Goin Home- or Alone- or even What Else is New. Without a doubt for me the highlight was Get Me only because i really dig how J is really jamming that song out. Toward the end of the song J just steps back as all 3 of them just go off into a wild jam.
    The song that got the crowd off the most seemed to be – Freak Scene. hehe.
    I just feel that the band gelled better the night before. Seemed tighter. Everyone seeing shows in the future – your in for a treat.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I have to say, I agree with erics. I, too, saw both shows (d.c. and philly) and the dc show was way more upbeat. this goes for the crowd, and the band. what was up with that philly crowd–did somebody die? was everyone in the balcony on smack? it was soooo dead compared to the crowd at the black cat. yes, there was a small mosh pit towards the end of the show, but other than that i barely saw anyone even moving! the band responded, it seems, with a more laid-back, shorter show. here’s a song comparison:
    D.C. show: (dino songs, not new songs)
    Raisans
    Lung
    Severed Lips
    Little Furry Things
    Out There
    Get Me
    Thumb
    What Else is New
    Freak Scene
    Wagon

Philly Show:
    Lung
    Little Furry Things
    Get Me
    Out There
    Thumb
    Freak Scene

10 vs. 6 What else can I say! Yes, maybe there were one or two new songs played at philly that weren’t played in d.c, but damn.
    I dont normally count songs or anything, but it was so drastic I had to take notice. Hey, for anyone who caught the philly show and loved it, god bless ya. I’m sure there were many people there who loved it. I’m just trying to make the point that it was like night and day, those 2 shows. This was very surprising to me, as the 3 times I saw dino.jr, it was consistently hot. I guess everbody is entitled to an off-night, or maybe it was just me. I dunno. Anyway, the new stuff is pretty good, i guess. I really like Ammoring and Waistin. The rest is ok, but I think I need to listen to it some more before I really get into it. I guess Im a sucker for the old stuff. Buh Bye.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

without a doubt, the show in DC was by far the best dinosaur show I think ive ever seen. The atmosphere was perfect.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Anybody catch the 9:30 Club show in DC from 1997? That show was freaking amazing. After seeing Philly and DC 2000 i popped that show in the vcr- I think that show remains my favorite. The Sludgefeast (watch the video right here on freakscene.net in the video section) was so unbelieveable. J really stepped it up huge that night. Thankfully HBO REVERB recorded it. [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

im really galad to hear hes playing his older stuff it sucks though that i have to be 21 to get into the show near me or that my car died 5 days before the philly show, maybe ill get a fake I.D. and go to the show tomorow night

"You look down at me and see a fool, you look up at me and see your lord, you look at me and see yourself"
    Charles Manson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.