Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Matthoney
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZo3Yif8TDo&context=C4e77ed6ADvjVQa1PpcFP5XBzDQ4Fz5pcY_4gkXUKJjxVN-oaZjSM=

Look what someone finally put up. Check out J’s jacket!

There’s so much good Dinosaur stuff on youtube that isn’t on FreesoFree. I’m hoping it’ll all be in one place eventually, so nothing slips through the cracks.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I was thinking the same thing.
    I hate the late show band had to join in and even sing over J in parts of it. Still great to see!

Matthoney
    Participant

Agreed. It was a unique concept, but it doesn’t work with a band like Dinosaur.

SimonM
    Participant

Cool. I have this on a VHS tape somewhere, but it had deteriorated compared to the quality here.

That said, I can’t really say I enjoy watching it; Makes me feel slightly uneasy. I’d love to hear what J would say if made to watch that back now.

The 1997 Jenny Jones stuff is my favourite of the uncomfortable TV appearances. It amuses me (and probably J too) that most of the clowns in the audience probably turned up with their tickets to watch the show filming, not bargaining for the fact they’d leave with their ears bleeding.

SimonM
    Participant
    Matthoney
    Participant

My problem was always that I didn’t care for Johnson or Berz particularly. The JLouMurph lineup was the very definition of “power trio”, and the J-Mike-George lineup was much more mellow and I think counter-productive at what the songs were going for. So any footage found is always interesting to see (and it seems like a lot of footage from the later era has been popping it a lot more), but I don’t think it’s particularly amazing, and it always blown out of the water why anything with the classic lineup.

King Tubby
    Participant

I saw J and Mike later that night (after they taped the Letterman performance) at the Sugar Beaster show at Roseland. J was still wearing the jacket.

I thought the J-Mike-Murph lineup was great. George was the problem, with his sluggish drumming. The funny thing is, J much prefers George’s drumming to Murph’s. That’s just loco.

Hybridge
    Participant

I like the cognitive dissonance of this performance but the backup band joining in is a mistake, with Paul Shaffer’s chimes clams and the sax way off at times and sucking in general. Is that David Sanborn? Whoever it is, his playing style and tone is super unpleasing.

‘Out There’ sounds sort of like the beginning of Ligeti’s ‘Musica Ricercata II’ (used in Eyes Wide Shut).

Obseqio
    Participant

The link doesn’t work for me. Are you sure it Letterman or did you mean Jenny Jones?

I like the Letterman ensembles. I think it makes the the songs sound great. How could J argue with that? He created all the parts.

I sure didn’t mind the Bertz and Johnson trio while it was going on so I won’t complain about it now. All I know is Dinosaur Jr. today sounds fantastic. I think J upped his game a lot since the 90’s. Though I wish he would wear suites again….

Matthoney
    Participant

Not sure if it’s really possible to confuse David Letterman and Jenny Jones. Unless the woman really stopped caring about her looks that year. This should be the correct link.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZo3Yif8TDo&w=420&h=315%5D

Matthoney
    Participant

Damn. All of the links youtube is giving me seem to be broken. But if you go to youtube, search for “Dinosaur Jr I Know You’re Out There”. it should come up. And hopefully someone a bit more savvy than I am can properly link it.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

“Out There” on Letterman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZo3Yif8TDo

“The Wagon” on Letterman

Obseqio
    Participant

Thanks Jeremiah! I couldn’t find it for the life of me…

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

anytime! I had them recently bookmarked since I sent them out on the Facebook & twitter streams recently 🙂

Obseqio
    Participant

It’s funny to see how low J used to sling his guitar.

I’ve always loved Letterman’s “Wagon” performance, but “Out There” seemed off time and the sax just aint cuttin it. Boo!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.