Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions OK to sell J boots on ebay?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Robert
    Participant

I’m not really sure which thread this would belong in, so if anyone one wants to move it to a more appropriate one, feel free to do so.
    Ebay is currently hosting two auctions of J mascis boots, and I want to hear what the "offical fs oppinion" is on the issue

My views:
    The only person that should make money on J mascis material is J Mascis, and his management, recordcompany etc, not some guy who recieved the boot in a trade, or taped it himself, and then goes on to sell it on ebay or similar sites.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love bootlegs as much as everyone else, but I feel strongly about boots being traded not sold. Because, as I’ve said before, the only one making money on the music should be the artist. Also, the selling of boots could turn an otherwise taperfriendly artist, such as J, into being more unwilling to let people tape his shows. Which would be a very sad sad sad thing if it happened.

So I would like to hear what views J, the site admins/mods/fs members has on this issue.
    The links to the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … egory=1572
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … egory=1572

simmons
    Participant

selling a cdr with album tracks… what a cheap way to make money. the person who buys that cd is no good either. :x :)

bootlegs shall never be sold, that’s a golden rule.I’m totally with you on that, Robert.

the consumers of bootlegs is half the problem. if we took either the seller or buyer away, the circle would be ended.

But when people have limited knowlegde on how to get in touch with the bootleg society, they have no clue how to get the bootlegs they want without paying for them. thus some people see the opportunity in making money at selling bootlegs to persons who are not part of the bootleg society.

maybe someone should enlighten the public.(are there any organisations dealing with this stuff? )
    at the same time I feel that parts of the bootleg society don’t want to share the stuff. they hold back and want to keep the trading underground..

that’s my thoughts.

Robert
    Participant
    "simmons" wrote:
    selling a cdr with album tracks… what a cheap way to make money.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It’s really low!

"simmons" wrote:
    But when people have limited knowlegde on how to get in touch with the bootleg society, they have no clue how to get the bootlegs they want without paying for them. thus some people see the opportunity in making money at selling bootlegs to persons who are not part of the bootleg society.

True. Regarding J/dino it’s my hope that freesofree.net will become well known amongst people who’re on the lookout for live/rare J/dino material. And therefore don’t have the need to buy bootlegs. Hopefully the mp3 sourced show will be replaced by shn/flac(because of people either uploading or sending boots to Anthony,) thus killing the market for J/dino boots being sold.

The selling of bootlegs on ebay can be stopped by reporting to the administrators of the site, if that’s desirable. I think it is. But I feel that this is up to the admins/mods to decide.

Thanks for the input Simmons!

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I think we all agree about ‘The Golden Rule of Bootlegs’: Trade, don’t sell….

From the eBay policies pages

Quote:
    Do not list unauthorized copies of live shows or concerts on eBay.
    Warning
    Listings offering bootleg CDs and video may be ended early by eBay. Multiple violations of eBay’s bootleg recording policy could result in the suspension of your account.

ammaringnyc
    Participant

You would have to be stupid to by a Dino bootleg when they are available for free.

Robert
    Participant

Buckmeister, does this mean that you, or someone like you, have or will send a mail to ebay telling them to stop the auction?

AGAP
    Participant

According to ebay copyright infringement statement if we’re not the owners of the intellectual property the only thing we can do is contact the person who owns the material…then they contact ebay.

Completely sucks some lameass is copying cd’s & selling them for profit, apparently some people suck in a huge way.

I did email the guy thru ebay, telling the person what I thought about him ripping off the Dinosaur Jr guys & J Mascis. Will let a certain tall guy know, hopefullly the message will be passed on & the plug gets pulled on this ripoff artist. I suggest everyone here send the guy an email as well.

here’s the copyright infringement info from ebay

eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program

eBay’s VeRO Program was developed to facilitate cooperation between eBay and rights owners protecting their intellectual property rights.

Highlights of the program include:
    expeditious removal of listings reported to eBay by over 5,000 VeRO Program participants;
    specific, detailed warnings designed to deter the listing of potentially infringing items before a listing is posted on eBay;
    voluntary daily monitoring and removal by eBay of listings offering potentially counterfeit or otherwise infringing items;
    voluntary daily monitoring and removal by eBay of listings that violate eBay policies designed to prevent the listing of infringing items on eBay;
    ability to save searches and have the results emailed to you through Favorite Searches;
    suspension of repeat offenders;
    continuing efforts to identify and prevent previously suspended users from reregistering for eBay; and
    cooperation with rights owners seeking personal information on alleged infringers.
    However, because eBay is not an expert in your intellectual property rights, and cannot verify that sellers have the right to sell the millions of items they post on eBay each day, we need your help in identifying listings which do not appear on their face to infringe your rights.

How to report a listing to eBay

Step One:

If you have a good faith belief that a listing on eBay infringes your copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights, all you need to do is download our Notice of Claimed Infringement (NOCI) form, fill it out, and fax it to eBay. Download eBay’s NOCI form.

You will need Adobe® Acrobat Reader to view and print our NOCI form. If you do not have Adobe® Acrobat Reader, you can download a free copy at Adobe’s web site by.

Step Two:

After we receive your first NOCI, you can report listings through Ranger Online’s new VeRO tool. Learn more about Ranger Online

Alternatively, we will send you an electronic version of our NOCI form so you can send future notices to us via email, if you prefer.

Step Three:

We encourage you to educate eBay users about your products and legal positions by creating an "About Me" page. We have found that many of our users cease listing potentially infringing items when presented with such information.

Learn how to set up your About Me page. Once you have posted your About Me page, send us an email and we will include it in our list of VeRO Program participant About Me pages.

Email us for more information.

Related Help topics
    Protection Programs: Overview
    Prohibited and Restricted Items: Overview
    Why did eBay remove my listing?

Robert
    Participant

Allison,
    If you go to:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html”>http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html
    and press the "Report" button you can report a member who’s selling bootlegs.
    Or is that what you tried and then you got that whole copyright lecture?

AGAP
    Participant

I was trying to report the Dinosaur Evolution disc, thats where I got the copyright lecture.

Will definitely report the bootleg..actually just did :wink:

Robert
    Participant
    "Coma Girl" wrote:
    Will definitely report the bootleg..actually just did :wink:

Thanks :D Glad that worked out, was a bit confused by the copyright lecture you got, because the guys at sharingthegroove said that everyone could report bootlegs.
    If the only one who could complain about it was the artist/copyright holder, J would have to search through ebay all the day looking for boots, and I like to think that he’s got better things to do. Such as making sweet music for my ears :D

AGAP
    Participant

Shame someone would be so lame as to copy multiple songs from a bunch of different Dinosaur Jr/J Mascis discs & sell for their own profit…lame :slap:

Thats the one I’m most concerned about, hopefully it gets removed asap :!:

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Coma Girl" wrote:
    According to ebay copyright infringement statement if we’re not the owners of the intellectual property the only thing we can do is contact the person who owns the material…then they contact ebay.

Completely sucks some lameass is copying cd’s & selling them for profit, apparently some people suck in a huge way.

I think anyone can report this to eBay as this is in their policy:

Quote:
    Unauthorized Copies

Do not list unauthorized (such as pirated, duplicated, backup, bootleg, and so forth) copies of software programs, video games, music albums, movies, television programs, or photographs on eBay.

Examples
    The following items may not be listed on eBay:
    Pirated copies of video games
    VHS or CD-R copies of television programs taped off of television
    "Backup" or "archival" copies of software programs
    Pirated copies of music
    "Bootleg" recordings of live music performances
    "Home video" versions of a movie still in theaters
    Software loaded onto a computer hard drive that is not being sold with the original media (disks, manuals, etc.)

Warning
    Listings offering unauthorized copies of software, games, music, or video may be ended early by eBay. Multiple violations of eBay’s unauthorized copy policy could result in the suspension of your account.

As I am one of the very few people in this world without an eBay account I am not able to report it …… :roll: :?

Anthony
    Participant

i have bought a couple dino boots before.
    I’ve then uploaded them to share for free though.

The tunes for download on my site (and videos) are somewhat tagged by either myself or jeremiah or sometimes whoever was the one who originated the files. Some are wide open right now.

If they were sold, that would not be cool.
    It would most def. be found out though by taking a peak at the ID3 tags accompanying the mp3 if you bought a boot and wondered where it came from. But then, the seller could change the tags too.
    :?
    Rip the CD to your hard drive, use winamp or something to take a look at the tags.

I think it should totally be brought out when you see something for sale like this.
    J would not be cool, and im not cool at all when I see one for sale.
    I don’t make one dime for hosting fsf.net.. turning people on to f*cking kick ass music is why that site is there.

i hope they take that auction down.
    :slap:

Robert
    Participant

Yeah, that’s pretty low, and I must say that I would never have thought it possible to come up with the idea. It’s by far the worse item for sale yes, though I’m not a fan of selling live boots either. But selling collections made out of album releases is pretty far out.

Anthony
    Participant

that artwork isnt even neil blender.

wtf

take it off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.