Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Official FS Board Jazz Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #136274

    essgee09
    Participant
    "Tom" wrote:
    I actually do have The Incredible Jazz Guitar in my music collection, and that certainly is excellent.

    Cool!
    I`ll recommend Pat Martino`s El Hombre for a guitar album then

    #136275

    essgee09
    Participant

    Kenny Burrell-Midnight Blue(1963)

    One of jazz`s greatest guitarists.Hendrix was quoted as saying he wished he could sound like him.This record lives up to the title as a late night record.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5m92TwKKA ig5m92TwKKA

    #136276

    tom
    Participant

    sg,

    Thanks for the recommendations. I grabbed the Bill Evans , Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, and Stan Getz that you suggested. I’ve really enjoyed them all. Right now I like the Bill Evans one the best. Thanks again.

    #136277

    essgee09
    Participant
    "Tom" wrote:
    sg,

    Thanks for the recommendations. I grabbed the Bill Evans , Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, and Stan Getz that you suggested. I’ve really enjoyed them all. Right now I like the Bill Evans one the best. Thanks again.

    Glad to hear it!I kinda thought the Bill Evans album would be the thing you`re looking for.Actually it`s one of my top 10 fave jazz albums.You can get the entire sessions on a 3 cd set called The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings,great sound quality too.I would`ve recommended that earlier,I just thought a 3 discer would be too much for an Evans starter.

    I think you should check out Cannonball Adderley-Somethin Else.Miles Davis plays on it,they do an amazing version of Autumn Leaves.Adderley was a ex teacher who could play sax like crazy,he also ate like crazy and folks called him cannibal which eventually became Cannonball.

    #136278

    tom
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    "Tom" wrote:
    sg,

    Thanks for the recommendations. I grabbed the Bill Evans , Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, and Stan Getz that you suggested. I’ve really enjoyed them all. Right now I like the Bill Evans one the best. Thanks again.

    Glad to hear it!I kinda thought the Bill Evans album would be the thing you`re looking for.Actually it`s one of my top 10 fave jazz albums.You can get the entire sessions on a 3 cd set called The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings,great sound quality too.I would`ve recommended that earlier,I just thought a 3 discer would be too much for an Evans starter.

    I think you should check out Cannonball Adderley-Somethin Else.Miles Davis plays on it,they do an amazing version of Autumn Leaves.Adderley was a ex teacher who could play sax like crazy,he also ate like crazy and folks called him cannibal which eventually became Cannonball.

    Thanks again SG. I’ll check out the Cannibal!

    #136279

    essgee09
    Participant

    So just in time for Xmas Sony are releasing a 70 cd set of Miles Davis.70 cd`s! :shock: $370 american.That would be more than 500 bucks in Canada.If I could get that it`ll be better than finding a Miles Davis Korner in my dreams :wink:
    One of his best bands he had was in the mid `60s.Here`s a tune from his 1965 album ESP with Wayne Shorter,Herbie Hancock,Ron Carter,and Tony Williams

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsRzt0T-Bw dWsRzt0T-Bw

    #136280

    essgee09
    Participant

    Lester Young With Oscar Peterson(1952)

    Lester was born 100 years ago today in Woodville,Mississippi.One of the leading saxman in jazz of the `30s and `40s.By the `50s most critics felt Lester was past his best work but I don`t think so.This 1952 session is some of his best work.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VChuer_Awc 7VChuer_Awc

    #136281

    essgee09
    Participant

    Singer Chris Connor died yesterday at age 82 :(

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkiVkinGx8U KkiVkinGx8U

    #136282

    essgee09
    Participant

    John Coltrane would`ve been 83 today

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olOYynQ-_Hw olOYynQ-_Hw

    #136283

    essgee09
    Participant

    Ornette Coleman is 80 today! 8)

    Born in Texas,got his start in blues bands in California.Made a couple of records for west coast label Contemporary that did`nt get much attention.His third album The Shape Of Jazz To Come for Atlantic in 1959 was like the first Sex Pistols album.Critics and fans hated it.He played a plastic sax and his trumpeter Don Cherry a pocket trumpet which looked like a toy just to piss off the haters more :lol: in the mid `60s he hired his 9 year old son on drums to make them really go over the edge.He stuck to his guns and did`nt give up.In the `90s he won a genius grant and award worth a quarter of million.Take that critics!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbD1JIH344 DNbD1JIH344

    #136284

    maxini
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    Pharoah Sanders-Karma(1969)

    So imagine this.A group of hippies dancing in a field with tambourines and bells,hollaring the joys of peace and love and love and peace.Then suddenly an alien craft lands and starts directing strange beams of light taking the happy hippies captive!Until they show the alien beings their message.The strange little guys dig it too cuz the creator has a master plan…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixv0kX3niA 3ixv0kX3niA

    I always loved Karma, but haven’t listened to it for ages… now where do I have it? Was it in our cellar when it got flooded?

    #136285

    essgee09
    Participant

    Pharoah was making some great records around that time:Tauhid,Thembi,Jewels Of Thought… there should be a box set of this stuff

    #136286

    malcolm tent
    Participant

    Hey, SG, John is cool, but his wife deserves cred as well. Sure she practically abandoned Jazz, but her Hindustani-based meditation music is simply fantastic. Plus, you name another Jazz harpist without using Google.

    #136287

    essgee09
    Participant
    "malcolm tent" wrote:
    Hey, SG, John is cool, but his wife deserves cred as well. Sure she practically abandoned Jazz, but her Hindustani-based meditation music is simply fantastic. Plus, you name another Jazz harpist without using Google.

    Oh yeah Alice was great too though I`ve met people that did`nt think she was much more than a Yoko.Her 1970 album Ptah The El Dahoud is a genuine classic.She played harp the same way she played piano.There`s also a great record with Joe Henderson called The Elements that`s excellent as well.
    Dorothy Ashby played the jazz harp as well though a different style from Alice.

    #136288

    essgee09
    Participant

    Guitarist Herb Ellis has passed away at age 88 :(

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-ul6Lep3w mJ-ul6Lep3w

    Herb is most known from being part of the Oscar Peterson Trio of the 1950`s.One of the great trios in jazz history.They did`nt have a drummer so Herb would often pound on his guitar body and get a bongo sound

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.