Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Oct 11 2009 – Dinosaur @ Pontiac, MI Crofoot Ballroom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    paulcalypse
    Participant

Here’s the setlist. I’ll tell stories about the show tomorrow after I wake up. Had a 2.5hr drive home after the show.

Thumb
    Tarpit
    In a Jar
    Been There All The Time
    Imagination Blind
    Get Me
    Pieces
    Plans
    Feel Pain
    Over It
    Raisins
    Wagon
    Freak Scene
    I Don’t Wanna Go There

Little Fury Things
    Just Like Heaven

Awesome setlist in my opinion. The band was really rocking tonight, and it sounded as great. More info later on taping and stuff…

King Tubby
    Participant

OK, good. They’re back to playing at least 5 Farm tracks. I wonder why they decided not to do that the other night?

Obseqio
    Participant

Very Awesome set! I wouldn’t have minded hearing Tarpit and In a Jar.

weezerfreak942
    Participant

I had the most amazing experience. Best night of my life by FAR!

My friend Knox and I showed up a few hours early to increase our chances of getting time with the band. Sure enough, we show up, and there’s a door wide open in the side of the venue where Dino were sound checking. We were in there for a good 5 minutes just watching when some asshole from the venue said "the band requested a closed soundtrack". We went in a different door to the restaurant/bar side where another asshole who happened to look like Ron Jeremy kicked us out…After sound checking, Murph walked out and headed up the street. We caught him on the way back down and both got pictures with him. Half hour after that, J walked out and was willing to take pictures with us as well. That was really amazing.

8:00 rolls around, the doors open, and I’m in the front. I walk in and show my ID, turned out the venue had put all my friends on the guest list but somehow I was left off! I was kind of upset, but said "fuck it" and almost bought a ticket. Knox kept insisting we go look for Lou instead and ask him to help us straighten it out. I was just thinking, what if we dont find lou? what if hes inside? if we dont find him and i have to go to the back of the line and buy a ticket, after looking near the tour bus and just about to head towards the venue line, we caught Lou heading back towards the venue. I explained my situation and he was as surprised as I was and amazingly cool to talk to and willing to help. After seeing the huge line I would have to wait in, he just let me in a side door. That was the coolest feeling!

The show was amazing. Lou’s band did great! They and dino were both spot on with everything and the audience loved lou+the missing men. All around I heard positive remarks and nobody was pushing for lou to end for dino. Tom and Raul were just as awesome to talk to, really genuine guys.

Afterwards, my only goal was to get a picture with Lou, complete the trio. We went out to the bus and waited for a minute, nothing. We went back in the venue, I was gonna buy another shirt or a CD. While talking to Raul, Lou just pops up next to him and was more than happy.

This was really amazing.

Robert
    Participant

Great story :) So, where are those pictures ?

paulcalypse
    Participant

Ok here’s my story. Showed up about 1 hour or so early with my girlfriend. We were pretty much at the front of the line. I watched Lou’s soundcheck through one of the side doors and was very excited to see him play as well. Got into the venue when the doors opened at 8pm. Walked right up to the stage and staked out a spot right in front of Murph, front row. To my right was a guy with a video camera. He explained to me that he and his friends had permission from the band to video tape with 3 or 4 HD cameras shooting in 1080i from different angles, and they had a dedicated audio setup on the balcony. They’d been there most of the day, too. He couldn’t say if we would see these on the internet at anytime. They also taped the october 10 show, too.

Towards the end of the Lou + missingmen set I could tell that Lou was looking for a guitar pick, but he couldn’t find one, so I quickly pulled out my wallet and grabbed the green pick I always carry with me. As soon as he asked the crowd for a pick, I was holding mine up, and he immediately came over and grabbed it from me. He played through the second to last song with it, kept it in his pocket, and then played the Dinosaur Jr. opener Thumb with it. At the end of the song he dropped it on the ground and kicked it my way. I picked it up and put it back in my wallet. It’s a bit more worn down but not bad. I was pretty ecstatic, and still am, haha. Way cooler than getting an unused pick from the mic stand or whatever, imo.

The banter between the crowd and band was limited as usual. Someone kept yelling for DJ to play Green Mind, and eventually J just made fun of them by squealing "Greeeen Miiiind" into the microphone. They didn’t honor any requests (as they stick to the setlist) until the encore when they played Fury Things for a girl to the left of me about 6 people down, I think. Then they weren’t digging what the crowd wanted to hear for the closer so Lou said "Ok, lets do the stand-in" and they broke into Just Like Heaven, which was as good as always. If i was seeing them a lot, id get bored of it, because they usually play it. I would have preferred Chunks, that song is so heavy.

J broke a string on Plans, and he switched out for a different sunburst Jazzmaster with white colored pickups. He played this guitar until the encore, when he switched back to the original jazzmaster he started the show with. The other Jazzmaster on stage was his signature purple model. He never picked it up.

Moshing was big on Pieces and Feel The Pain from what I noticed. It was a solid mosh pit, and I think I saw some people get hurt, so that sucks. People are crazy, but whatever.

Lou kept asking the crowd if everything sounded ok. He was quiet for the first couple songs, until he and the roadie started fiddling with his amp. It was louder, then. At the beginning of the encore, he said that he blew 2 amps tonight at the show, and everyone thought that was cool. He also mentioned a girl outside was taken to the hospital by ambulance, because she broke her leg in 2 places trying to climb back into the venue (maybe she was kicked out?). He seemed to feel band and he said "This show is for her."

Anyways, that’s about it. I had no energy to wait for the band by their bus, so I took off back to Grand Rapids right after the show.

weezerfreak942
    Participant

[img]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/25/l_f7c77d03d5854ec18a560ccc2c47620a.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/56/l_c3981e1cd7154fbd99ac14b8e4c1a9fe.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/4/l_cae46b58555244ed84271ead3aa426ec.jpg[/img]

at first i thought J had ranch on his face. now i think he cut himself shaving

paulcalypse
    Participant
    "weezerfreak942" wrote:
    at first i thought J had ranch on his face. now i think he cut himself shaving

Man, that picture with J is priceless. I love his Alien Workshop hat, too. I remember talking with you before the show, too. I saw you singing along to like every Lou song before DJ played, do you think you can remember the setlist?

skatersonic2002
    Participant

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, FUCK YOU WEEZERFREAK!!!!!! Haha, jk man. Very, very cool. Out of the 4 times I’ve seen em, that was the best! Great setlist. Lou’s band was great too! I really wanted to get a picture with Lou or something. That woulda been awesome.

grzesieksz
    Participant

wow you had "raisians". envious much

grzesieksz
    Participant

during my dinosaur jr gig, we couldnt hear J’s vocals at all so we yelled at them to fix it and lou kicked his two monitors towards us and the sound improved a little. i really envy you that off the chain setlist, really. They packed everything dope in it and yeah pieces and feel the pain are moshable songs too :)

weezerfreak942
    Participant

was it your girlfriend who had the daniel johnston bag, or was she the blonde, or neither?

paulcalypse
    Participant
    "weezerfreak942" wrote:
    was it your girlfriend who had the daniel johnston bag, or was she the blonde, or neither?

I was the tall dude with glasses and the orange shirt with blue zip-up hoodie that wouldn’t zip up. She was the girl with me, if that helps. She’s shorter than me.

paulcalypse
    Participant
    "paulcalypse" wrote:
    "weezerfreak942" wrote:

I was the tall dude with glasses and the orange shirt with blue zip-up hoodie that wouldn’t zip up. She was the girl with me, if that helps. She’s shorter than me.

This might help…I just realized that you also went to the Ann Arbor show at the Blind Pig. I was the one taking photos at that show. I looked back at those old forum threads.

tonas

Cool Pics Weezerfreak, its pretty cool getting to meet your heros. Great post. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.