Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Oct 10th Newport Music Hall Columbus OH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bearcat93
    Participant

Thumb
    Budge
    Imagination Blind
    Get Me
    Pieces
    Crumble
    Out There
    Over It
    Feel The Pain
    The Lung
    Freakscene
    Gargoyle

Encore

Been There All The Time
    Just Like Heaven

xindeed
    Participant

Anyone else impressed by the lameness of the sizable Columbus crowd? The place was packed…packed with uptight white midwesterners who don’t know what to do when they’re bombarded with punishing psychedelic rawk driven by guitar solos that can peel the paint off yer soul. So they stand there and nod their stoic appreciation of a well done number and glance nervously at their watches. Jeezus, the place should have been an orgiastic den of whirling dervishes and instead we get people standing around. No mosh pit even.

Thought the band was incredible – J. was fairly animated and the sound was damned good. The solos were awe-inspiring. I enjoyed the Akron show earlier in the year much better, but only cuz that was a tiny venue and the folks there were more willing to fully participate in the transcendence offered.

How have crowds been at other venues?

Bearcat93
    Participant

Pretty accurate on the crowd, I was groovin’ and was stared at :lol: Anyone else notice J wearing anything?

grzesieksz
    Participant

I come from Poland but i was present at one of the dino’s gig in Germany last month. I went there by train with my friend and on the way there we emptied 3 bottles of red wine and right before the gig a few cans of beer. Man. i dont remeber the crowd cause i always stand at the front. geeeee Im afraid to think that i would watch their gig standing like a faggot at the back. Anyway, right before the gig went off me and my friend started to mosh around to the feel the pain i think it was. after that song the security fags told us to not to do so or stage dive or anything like that and threatened to kick us out. We thought " wowoooo you morons. those people have no clue that this is fucking rocknroll and know shit about like lets say good 90s music and the atmosphere of those times. Later on we as if "activated" a few people to jump with us and then the whole front ( well most guys had nirvana and sonic youth t-shirts so you know that those people know whats what) started to jumping around, crowd surfing and playing air guitars and everybody up there had a good time although extremly tired.The whole show was like a trans for me or something like that :) partly thanks to alcohol blood content it went really well. i would like to thank the crowd for helpin my out beacause i fall down on the slippery floor. It was a good show but if it hand been for few people it woulve been a crap. So i assume that you people should drink a little and the stir will come up :) now i see on youtube that people only nod their heads and stand there like lamp posts. REALLY NOT FUNNY AND NOT PUNK ROCK. GUYS this is dinosaur jr, not wanky arctic monkeys shit. Sorry for my Enlgish and patronising i hope you more or less understand something :) . i want dinos play again!Unfortuanately they didnt play Been there all the time :(

xindeed
    Participant
    King Tubby
    Participant

Man, I’m going to be PISSED if they play a set like that in Chicago. I’ve been dying to hear Farm material, and there’s precious little on that list. Hope that was just a one-off fluke of a setlist, because I know that Plans and I Don’t Wanna Go There and I Want You to Know have been in regular rotation this tour.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "grzesieksz" wrote:
    I come from Poland but i was present at one of the dino’s gig in Germany last month. I went there by train with my friend and on the way there we emptied 3 bottles of red wine and right before the gig a few cans of beer.

pijany znowu, który jest tak, niezwykły dla Polskiego chłopca, No?

Annastefka
    Participant
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    Man, I’m going to be PISSED if they play a set like that in Chicago. I’ve been dying to hear Farm material, and there’s precious little on that list. Hope that was just a one-off fluke of a setlist, because I know that Plans and I Don’t Wanna Go There and I Want You to Know have been in regular rotation this tour.

I just remember you using the phrase "deep-six" for Feel the Pain…..it keeps coming up for air.

King Tubby
    Participant
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    "King Tubby" wrote:

I just remember you using the phrase "deep-six" for Feel the Pain…..it keeps coming up for air.

Yeah, that one’s been cemented into the setlist with heavy duty concrete.

At this point, if I never hear Just Like Heaven again I wouldn’t complain either. Freshen things up, guys! Down with autopilot!

Robert
    Participant

I wonder what the reasoning behind playing fewer Farm songs than earlier on the tour is.
    I do hope they’ll broaden their setlist, but J has stated over and over again that he hates practicing, so it’s not like I’m holding my breath. It’s a shame though, because they’re really tight this time round, so it would’ve been great to hear songs from the entire lifespan of dino. And I think they would profit from that.

Annastefka
    Participant

Tubby, I just spilled the same feelings out over under Dinosaur/J opinions.
    My last entry under the astrology/ NPR/Lou/ thing.
    Oh, hey Robert, you jumped in while I was typing.
    Oh, no and our Polish friend is back after I was sort of "bitchin" at him for drinking so much.
    I thought I could trash talk and then run.

Obseqio
    Participant
    "xindeed" wrote:
    Anyone else impressed by the lameness of the sizable Columbus crowd? The place was packed…packed with uptight white midwesterners who don’t know what to do when they’re bombarded with punishing psychedelic rawk driven by guitar solos that can peel the paint off yer soul. So they stand there and nod their stoic appreciation of a well done number and glance nervously at their watches. Jeezus, the place should have been an orgiastic den of whirling dervishes and instead we get people standing around. No mosh pit even.

Thought the band was incredible – J. was fairly animated and the sound was damned good. The solos were awe-inspiring. I enjoyed the Akron show earlier in the year much better, but only cuz that was a tiny venue and the folks there were more willing to fully participate in the transcendence offered.

How have crowds been at other venues?

I was at the Philly show. The crowd was moving around a bit. I was standing in the back. I’m no stiff I was definitely rockin’ it, but I’m considerate too. I’m 32 now and I’m glad to see that the days of moshing at a Dinosaur shows are over. I think it’s totally cool to listen, but there has to be some movement. Lou made a comment about the D.C. crowd standing around for most the show and how Philly was awesome. A band needs to see a little movement.

paulcalypse
    Participant
    "Obseqio" wrote:
    I’m 32 now and I’m glad to see that the days of moshing at a Dinosaur shows are over.

Actually, last night in Pontiac there was some considerable moshing during Pieces and Feel The Pain. However, I think this isn’t a very common thing, haha.

grzesieksz
    Participant

haha yeah

xindeed
    Participant

I’m very close to 45. I try to respect everyone’s preference for enjoying a show, but I just felt an overwhelming urge to go crazy at that Newport show, but had no pit of freaks to freak with and found that frustrating. I understand some people can be really getting off at a show without moving much, but that can be difficult for me at a show like a dino show.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.