Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic New Vinyl Sucks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    essgee09
    Participant

So I bought Where You Been on vinyl today.Side 1 played fine but Get Me and Drawerings are scratchy and skipping :evil: It`s a brand new record!The Rhino 180 gram version so what`s the probem?I can`t see anything with my eyes that could be causing it :?
    I`ve had trouble with other new vinyl with the hole being too small to fit on the turntable.I think I`ll stick with old vinyl from now on

Robert
    Participant

A lot of vinyl from the past two or three years have suffered from too small center holes and microscopic bits of cardboard stuck in the grooves. We’ve had to switch from eastern european plants to a plant in England to make sure that the vinyl we put out meet the expected standards.

I haven’t spun the Rhino Where You Been yet, but I’ll try it tomorrow and report back with my findings.

I’m not saying that I know what’s wrong with the lp you’ve got, but this is a well known problem amongst indie labels in europe. The rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for, as manufacturer that is, and that it’s wise to spend the few extra dollars to get it done by people who take pride in their work.
    The last time we tried to press something in an eastern european plant they needed three attempts to make the cut.

So, does new vinyl suck ? Not necessarily. A lot of companies put out vinyl that bear the sign of real craftmanship, but sadly some companies are willing to let inferior pressings be released on the market. I’m astonished if this is the case with Rhino, they usually know what they’re doing.

essgee09
    Participant

I did pay alot of money for it so I was expecting it to be fine.I have the Green Mind reissue too which is no problem.
    Since it`s only 2 songs I`m not going to return it

Robert
    Participant

After replying to you last night I decided to check my repress of Where You Been and compare it to the original pressing. The only flaw, and I admit, it was a major flaw, in my plan was the fact that I had spent the better part of the day and night getting next to incapacitated on Fernet Branca, the most evil of all the evil things one can drink. For some strange reason this influenced my aim and ability stand straight, the result being that I broke the needle.

So I’ve played it on my portable recordplayer which tracks lp’s with the grace of a tumbling rock. Even so the repress played fine all the way through on both sides, no scratches, nor skipping of the needle. And you should definetely get it replaced, listening to Where You Been without being able to enjoy Get Me and Drawerings is like, well, some smarty pants comment about having a girl undress infront of you without touching her her girly parts. Mostly her shoulder.

essgee09
    Participant

I`m not one to return things plus I`m not sure they have another copy.Get Me is the real problem one,Drawerings improves towards the end.
    Come to think of it I did have a similar problem with another record.Side 2 of Richard And Linda Thompson`s Shoot Out The Lights.It`s not a new copy.
    I bought a 50 year old Miles Davis record too with minor scratches.Amazes me how these old records can hold up so well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.