Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rd
    Participant

I’m having a small problem when I download mp3’s from a webpage. What happens is the file extension automatically changes from mp3 to mpga. This does not happen when I download mp3s from a ftp site or from a file sharing software program. This only happens when I download files from a webpage. Having a mpga file instead of a mp3 is usually not a problem until a want to burn an audio cd. My burning software won’t let me burn mpga files in to an audio cd format. I can rename the file extension to mp3 to make it an mp3 file but when I go to burn one of these files I get a message saying that the file is corrupt and it won’t let me burn it. So my question is why is the mp3 file extensions (.mp3) changing to .mpga and how can I correct ths problem? If it matters the browser I use is IE 6.0.

Thanks
    RD

jeremiah
    Keymaster

do these files play automaticly when you download them or do they just get copied to your drive? If they do play each time, what program plays them? (I am hoping this is it!)

What Operating System are you using?

rd
    Participant

The files play automatically with Winamp when they download. Unfortunately I’m running Windows ME. It was on the system when I got it.

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Did a little digging and it looks like this may be a Real Player issue.

Real Player changes the Extensions of Windows systems so only Real Player will know these are MP3 files. Disable RealPlayer for handling MP3s on your system. Then download your file again.

Here is another option – When grabbing a mp3 from a site… right click, then choose Save target as… IF the file tries to save itself as *.mpga file at that rename it back to *.mp3

Hopefully one of those will help! If not, someone else jump in here!

rd
    Participant

Jeremiah, thats for you help. I really appreciate it. The renaming the file extension works but when I looked to see if Realplayer wanted to handle mp3’s I noticed that that box was not check. So I assume that my Reaplayer does not handle mp3’s, right?

I have one other question. How do I get the mp3’s of your site without the extension changing to mpga. I tried right clicking and saving but I can’t download the file that way. It makes me save an html file instead. Any ideas? Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.