Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Modest Mouse

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

I never understood why Neil teamed up with Pearl Jam,the album was`nt too bad but I thought if Neil was going to work with another band, bands like Uncle Tupelo or the Jayhawks
    would be more in line with Neil`s music.

jeremiah
    Keymaster

I agree, Uncle Tupelo or the Jayhawks would accent his sound nicely.

SG
    Participant

Jeremiah;have you heard anything about this incident with Iassic Brock I mentioned?I think it happened in 1999.To make myself more clear
    the woman complained to the police but no charges were brought to Iassic,the way i wrote it earlier seemed like I was trying to say
    people are anti-mouse because of no charges
    to Iassic,that`s not what I meant;I don`t know how much an uproar there was from seattle fans or if there was`nt any.Any info on this Jeremiah that you know?

jeremiah
    Keymaster

No, this is the first I had heard about it. Going to ask Jamie (most of you guys remember him from the Turnip Farm). He will probably have some info about it. [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

* He indirectly introduced me to ‘the Mouse’

turnipfarmer
    Participant

hey mm experts,

Modest Mouse is quite unknown to me, only took a listen to "Edit The Sad Part", like it alot. now I have the chance to get to those 3 MM albums offered for reasonable prices:

The Fruit That Ate Itself
    Building Nothing Out Of Something
    The Moon & Antarctica

would you recommend me to get all 3 in a bunch?
    could you please describe them? are they comparable to the only song I know?

thanks!

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey Turnipfarmer

Yes, buy all 3 of them

"Edit The Sad Parts" was the 1st song I heard of them, I really loved that 1
    & now I have every other album of them

So I would say give it a try

Not really a help but at least I tried [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

C Ya

rosa
    Participant

random interjections, if I may

1- I own no Modest Mouse
    2- I think I’ve heard them twice
    3- my sister worked at a coffee shop in Seattle; one of the MM bandmembers was a regular customer. According to her, he was not only a jerk to the employees, but he enjoyed flashing his expensive clothes
    4- I like Pearl Jam
    5- another story from my sis: Creed were on a radio show in Seattle, and one of the members said, "Eddie Vedder just WISHES he could write lyrics like Scott [or whatever the guy’s name is]". Keep in mind that this was in Vedder’s home town. For the rest of the week, that was the radio station’s favorite sound clip.
    6- I don’t think the current pop formula is "Pearl Jam-esque"; I would say it’s more Korn-esque or Stone Temple Pilots-esque. Either way, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and crap is still crap.
    7- I wouldn’t say non-dino fans hate MM; I’ve met several people who like MM but don’t listen to dino.

<blockquote><font>quote

Quote:
    Why can`t we call these terms rock music and leave it like that.

agreed. I basically refer to stuff as rock, country, jazz, techno, or classical. Occasionally I’ll run into something that is kinda in between; ya know, not wholly any of those…and that means it’s time for me to step in & describe what it sounds like. You know, using more than one word.

xo
    Rosa

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Turnipefarmer,

I 2nd what Spaceboy said, get all 3. I love their music, have most of their stuff as well…if you liked edit the sad parts no doubt you would love the rest [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

you can check out some info and mp3’s of live stuff here…
    http://www.knerd.com/~bwillen/ModestMouse.HTM

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Another Girl Another Planet ]</p>

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Turnipfarmer,

I like them so much I hit the post button twice [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Allison…needs caffeine [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Another Girl Another Planet ]</p>

Mattman
    Participant

I 3rd that emotion! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

All three are great, but if you only end up getting one, ‘Building Nothing Out of Something’ is probably the best to start with, as it gives the best cross section of their material. However, saying that, ‘The Fruit That Ate Itself’ is probably my favorite out of the three. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Wow Rosa, random interjections indeed! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gotta love that quote from Scott, what a dork! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Have any of you seen the new Creed video? I saw part of it one a commercial for their new album. They’re waiste-deep in water, in a flooded city, except for the lead singer, who’s in a boat. It’s supposed to be all dramatic, but it comes off as the biggest cheese-ball, trite, garbage… It’s quite hillarious. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Salami-

As per the Isaac Brock date rape issue, I believe it was dropped because of lack of sufficient evidence although I also beleive Mr. Brock settled a civil suit with the plantiff. Details were unreleased.

turnipfarmer
    Participant

thanks for info & link, folks!
    appreciate it! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.