Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tigergolf06
    Participant

I know that J uses a lot of minor chords in his songs, but are any in minor key?

I’ve read that the verses of Sameday are in minor key (with a major key chorus), but what others are there?

Just curious.

Thanks!

tigergolf06
    Participant

No one knows??

I thought J sung in minor key a lot of the time? Maybe I’m just being too inquisitive.

Matthoney
    Participant

Personally, I don’t think J’s music theory really goes that deep. In his songwriting, especially the early stuff, it really seems like he’s just playing what sounds good rather than anything from a technical standpoint. He’s a very erratic player.

I’m very similar (though obviously not as good), and despite playing for many years and having some degree of musical theory, I can’t really assess the key of songs or what have you. I don’t believe J does, either.

tigergolf06
    Participant
    "Matthoney" wrote:
    Personally, I don’t think J’s music theory really goes that deep. In his songwriting, especially the early stuff, it really seems like he’s just playing what sounds good rather than anything from a technical standpoint. He’s a very erratic player.

I’m very similar (though obviously not as good), and despite playing for many years and having some degree of musical theory, I can’t really assess the key of songs or what have you. I don’t believe J does, either.

I think you’re right ultimately..a lot of rock artists probably just go with what sounds good, not necessarily going for a specific key, structure, etc. But I see a lot of reviews of their albums saying that a particular song is minor key, major key, etc., and makes me wonder a) how they know that, and b) if J knew that?

Interesting..

tigergolf06
    Participant

That chart is phat! I thought the Sgt. Peppers era Beatles had more minor key. I can see how their earlier ("happier") stuff was more major key, though. Seems to make sense.

Where’d you get this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.