Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Martyrdom in Music?

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by SG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Do you all feel there’s a certain martyrdom to music? I remember a TV special a few months back on VH1 something about the

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

OK… no poll appeared and it cut off 90% of my speech…

Jeremiah, smack me if I ever try posting a poll again. It is beyond my capabilities.

The above was SUPPOSED to be a poll about martyrdom in music. To keep it much briefer then I had put it, is their a martyrdom in music where artists gain popularity (perhaps unfairly) through their premature death? As examples, I said I did not believe Nirvana or Hendrix would be as popular had it not been for their deaths, in fact, I felt much less.

Javro

I thought that Nirvana were at the peak of their popularity before Cobain’s death.

How many post-humous releases did Nirvana have?

Didn’t really like them, but I would have thought that his death had very little to do with their success/popularity.

Maybe Biggy/Tupac profited a little more.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Agree with Javro, Nirvana were hugely popular before the death of Kurt.

I don’t really like the martyr in music idea…I understand its out there but prefer my heroes alive and well. Agree some mentioned got more popular after their deaths but so many others…Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers and Dolls…Malcom Owen/Ruts…Ian Curtis/Joy Division…were wickedly popular before their untimely and very sad deaths. Hopefully people just get into the music because of how very cool it is not the died for rock and roll crap.

Salamiguy hope that J quote is an old one, More Light definitely feels like its coming from a more positive mental state [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

I agree Nirvana was very popular before Cobain’s death, but I feel one reason we remember them so fondly is we never got to see them become unpopular. If Nirvana was around today, I think they’d be as much out of the limelight as many other early alt groups: STP, Pumpkins, PJ… still viable and making music, but not setting the world on fire as they once were. That’s what I was talking about.

AGAP, I like my heros alive as well, and that’s why this issue had been bugging me and I was seeing if anyone else agreed.

SG
    Participant

I like my heroes alive too.
    Allison-that J quote is old,it was in a cd guide book I was looking at in a book store.More Light is positive I agree,so I think J is a little more optimistic than years ago.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey elj,

I see your point but disagree with the idea of remembering them so fondly because we never saw them become unpopular. Not the case in my situation…I don’t give a crap whats popular, love them no matter where they were on the charts….or would have been.

The whole martyr thing really gets under my skin, the died for rock and roll crap is just that crap. Lots of the ones mentioned above died secondary to addictions…slo mo suicide…not romantic and cool but horrifyingly sad. So thats my spin on it. So it seems we agree for a change elj…to a degree…. [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Another Girl Another Planet:
    <STRONG>So it seems we agree for a change elj…to a degree…. [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Allison, wait till football season starts up… I’m sure we’ll have PLENTY to disagree about! [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Javro:
    <STRONG>
    Maybe Biggy/Tupac profited a little more.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

now you know good and damn well Tupac is not dead [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

I agree with Javro;Nirvana was very popular before Kurt`s death.Nirvana`s popularity did`nt die quickly after his death,people still talk about them today,so Jaron is partly right.
    Hendrix,Joplin,and Morrison deaths have made them more popluar than in their lifetime.Look at Nick Drake;hardly anyone knew his music during his lifetime,he`s become more well known over the years.

I heard J say a quote once-"I contemplate suicide at least once a day,at least my album sales would go up."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.