Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kbrechin
    Participant

Im starting to think that J is maybe my favourite lyricist of all time! Im not usually fussed bout lyrics to songs, but his seem to intrique me endlessly.

Does anyone know specificly what "In A Jar" and "Freakscene" are about.

Plus Id probably still be considered a "novice" Dino fan, as it’s only been the last 3 years that I’ve started buying the albums etc.

I get the feeling that "Where You Been" is a break-up album as so many of the songs seem to be referencing a passed relationship i.e Out There, What Else Is New, Get Me! Could anyone please shed some light on this to be correct?

empire3
    "kbrechin" wrote:
    I get the feeling that "Where You Been" is a break-up album as so many of the songs seem to be referencing a passed relationship i.e Out There, What Else Is New, Get Me! Could anyone please shed some light on this to be correct?

To be honest god knows what J is banging on about most of the time, But Where you been(esp’ out there) is heavily influenced by his dad passing away. I’ve said it before(as many have to) The production is awesome on this album but very dark & moody, The album always conjures up the image of thuderstorms to me – not sure why….It is my favourite album of ALL time.

King Tubby
    Participant

I’m pretty sure J’s dad passed while he was writing the Without A Sound album, and that "Over Your Shoulder" is about him.

kbrechin
    Participant

Yeah I heard that it was Without A Sound was made just after his father’s passing

Matthoney
    Participant

J’s a strange songwriter….J himself has said that he usually writes about made up people and relationships. Lou said J writes "perfect stories" once before. I think he usually just writes stuff that sounds good together. Though some of his songs obviously have a lot of emotion behind them (Not the Same is a good example).

alosaur
    Participant

J’s dad passed away probably after the making of Where you Been but before WOS. He released singles with stickers of his dad that later got compiled into the out there Japanese collection of singles and b sides for Where You Been.

empire3
    "alosaur" wrote:
    J’s dad passed away probably after the making of Where you Been but before WOS. He released singles with stickers of his dad that later got compiled into the out there Japanese collection of singles and b sides for Where You Been.

You learn something new everyday! :D
    Yea, I’ve postulated all this time…… I just assumed because the ‘Out there’ CD single had a picture of J’s dad on the front and stickers of him plus It sounds to me like a song about someone passing away!
    (Strange, But I find myself wondering if the picture of his dad was not on the front would I have thought the song was about death ????- This puts a new spin on the album!)

mind_glow
    Participant

On the back of the Out There single it says "thats my dad on the cover everybody’s gonna miss him"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.