Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Lung Collapse is possible.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #47280
    Avatar
    Annastefka
    Participant

    Next thing you know, I will be warning my children to NEVER go to a J Mascis show EVER……………..

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … c_lungs_dc

    God, help us all…………………

    #104787
    Avatar
    AGAP
    Participant

    :shock: :!:

    #104788
    Avatar
    SG
    Participant

    "My lungs were collapsing but I still smiled…"-Seam

    #104789
    Avatar
    Carl.
    Participant
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    I will be warning my children to NEVER go to a J Mascis show EVER……………..

    bite your tongue!!! Such words should never be uddered… :o

    #104790
    Avatar
    Annastefka
    Participant
    Quote:
    bite your tongue!!! Such words should never be uddered… :o

    Your right, perhaps I’ll just stick to never ride a motorcycle.

    If my lungs haven’t collapsed by now then perhaps I passed on the strong lung gene.

    #104791
    Avatar
    Mattman
    Participant

    From my own pseudo-scientific reasoning, this would seem to be mostly related to loud bass sounds (in fact, it mentions this in the article). Given that the guitar is a mid to high range instrument, I think we’re safe with J (well our lungs any). :shock:

    I’m more surprised that no one has posted the lyrics for ‘The Lung’ yet. :P

    #104792
    Avatar
    Robert
    Participant
    "Mattman" wrote:
    I’m more surprised that no one has posted the lyrics for ‘The Lung’ yet. :P

    yeah, lol. and bringing up the old "breathes vs breeds" discussion.

    #104793
    Avatar
    SG
    Participant
    "Mattman" wrote:
    From my own pseudo-scientific reasoning, this would seem to be mostly related to loud bass sounds

    Beware of Watt! :shock: :wink:

    #104794
    Avatar
    FlyingCloud
    Participant

    there must be a lot of people on this site with experiences with exposure to extremely loud concert volumes :P :aliensmile:
    …I was wondering, if anyone here on the boards knows anyone who has been harmed healthwise through this… maybe concerning the hearing… :?: :? :?:

    #104795
    Avatar
    Robert
    Participant

    Wasn’t it George that talked about the importance of earplugs somewhere? And telling about these great custom made earplugs he used.

    #104796
    Avatar
    simmons
    Participant

    I’d like to have someone measure the DB level on J and the fog shows, cause it might just be a myth that J still is relatively loud compared to other bands. He might have been very loud in his dinosaur days,but is he still much louder than everyone else?

    what are you opinions on that?
    judging from concerts I’ve attended there have been many shows louder than J.

    it’d be cool to have an scientific answer on that.

    Quote:
    It’s probably a good idea, according to Noppen, to stand back from the speakers at concerts and clubs and to ease up on that car-stereo bass. It might also save your hearing, he added.

    there was a norwegian girl in her twenties, who tried to sue a concert arranger after her eardrum exploded. She stood near the speaker during the whole show without earplugs . so strange a bell didn’t ring that said "this is too loud, I should probably move some centimeters away from the speaker…"but no, she waited untill yellow liqur ejaculated from her ear!

    #104797
    Avatar
    Annastefka
    Participant
    "simmons" wrote:
    cause it might just be a myth that J still is relatively loud compared to other bands. He might have been very loud in his dinosaur days,but is he still much louder than everyone else?

    I agree, the last show I caught (40 Watt) was not loud to the point of damage, the 40 Watt show two years ago was louder. I am happy with the new level, it is still loud but……………………I am getting older and I think with that comes wisdom ( I hope ). It is also true when you think guitar, you feel that force in your third eye chakra and of course in your ears, head etc……………. The bass is much lower in your navel chakra and below, so I see how the bottom of the lung could feel that pressure. I was driving my car and parked at a stop light several days ago and a fellow pulled up beside me who had his bass on so loud that not only was his car humming and shaking but the cell phone between my legs started to vibrate so much I though it was ringing. I have to say I hate that, I feel so violated when forced to listen to others music that loud when stranded at a traffic light.

    #104798
    Avatar
    rambleon
    Participant
    Quote:
    there was a norwegian girl in her twenties, who tried to sue a concert arranger after her eardrum exploded. She stood near the speaker during the whole show without earplugs . so strange a bell didn’t ring that said "this is too loud, I should probably move some centimeters away from the speaker…"but no, she waited untill yellow liqur ejaculated from her ear!

    :shock: :shock: :shock:

    i don’t have any spectacularly hardcore stories like that, but my hearing is definitely going and has been at least since i was 17 :o :( … i know this b/c i had to have some sort of medical before i went to university + i didn’t do too well on the hearing test :shock: :shock: … these days i always wear earplugs when i’m at a show :idea: :aliensmile: , but at the time i knew a lot of musician types + i’d hang out w/them when they were practicing + i never wore ear plugs … i guess i regret that momentary lapse in reason now … :|

    #104799
    Avatar
    rambleon
    Participant

    oh yeah + i forgot to say that i’m sure a lot of people from my generation (+ below) are going to become deaf a lot earlier than in the past b/c of walkmans + discmans + ipods etc … it’s a worry :o

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.