Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Lester Young

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    essgee09
    Participant

Yesterday was 50 years since the death of the jazz saxophonist Lester Young.Pres as he was called(the president of the tenor sax)had his own way of talking(like saying cool before the rock and rollers did)and his mellow sax style influenced many.He dated Billie Holiday for a time and they almost married,it`s a shame they did`nt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf2aWOu2BhE

Robert
    Participant

I read an autobiography about Billie Holiday some years ago, a truly depressing story !
    If I had an old victrola I would play the shit out of Lester Young !

essgee09
    Participant

He did more than 78`s.My favorite album is With Oscar Peterson from 1952.

Robert
    Participant

Ah, reason to rummage through the used record stores :)
    I’ve allready got Hermans Hermits, Rolling Stones let it bleed on the list so this’ll make for a nice hunting tomorrow.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    Ah, reason to rummage through the used record stores :)
    I’ve allready got Hermans Hermits, Rolling Stones let it bleed on the list so this’ll make for a nice hunting tomorrow.

Sounds good :) I should mention that the Lester Young album I mentioned is also called The President Plays.Exile On Main Street by the Stones is another one of their best you might want to check into.

Robert
    Participant

Not to mention out of our heads, as it has the best stones song I’ve ever heard, play with fire.

essgee09
    Participant

Play With Fire is cool indeed.I have the Singles Collection on tape.4 tapes of their 1963-71 singles plus their b sides.I should`ve bought the vinyl!

Robert
    Participant

Again, yes :D
    Do you have an operating turntable now, I seem to remember that we discussed vinyl some years ago and your turntable was out of order or something to that extent.

If I find any used stones lp’s tomorrow they will actually be the first stones in my collection.
    Come to think of it, that’s kinda strange, having never owned a single recording by them.
    Isn’t it ?

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    Again, yes :D
    Do you have an operating turntable now, I seem to remember that we discussed vinyl some years ago and your turntable was out of order or something to that extent.

If I find any used stones lp’s tomorrow they will actually be the first stones in my collection.
    Come to think of it, that’s kinda strange, having never owned a single recording by them.
    Isn’t it ?

I got a new turntable a few years ago.My old one lasted a long time.From 1989 to 2004 or so.I never changed the needle!It was sensitive to dust while the new one is sensitive to scratches.
    Vinyl is hard to find around here.I found a store last summer that had some though!I did`nt get a chance to go back.They did`nt have alot but still a few hundred was cool to look thru.
    I used to hate the Stones when I was a kid.I don`t know why.When i was about 16 I got into them.I have a vinyl copy of Through The Past Darkly(their 1966-69 singles) but the first side is trashed with paint.Ruby Tuesday kept skipping on ‘lose your mind’ the other night :lol: side 2 is in better shape.

Robert
    Participant

:shock: I usually changte the needle every other year or so. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone using the same needle for so long. It had to be nuclear powered !

Robert
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    I used to hate the Stones when I was a kid.I don`t know why.When i was about 16 I got into them.I have a vinyl copy of Through The Past Darkly(their 1966-69 singles) but the first side is trashed with paint.Ruby Tuesday kept skipping on ‘lose you mind’ the other night :lol: side 2 is in better shape.

I used to hate them as well, and just as you I have no idea why. Maybe it was just a childish feeling that it was the stones vs the beatles, and I really loved the beatles from I was about 5 or 6.
    Ruby tuesday is a great song as well, I’ll have to search for that one as well tomorrow.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    😯 I usually changte the needle every other year or so. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone using the same needle for so long. It had to be nuclear powered !

Yeah it was crazy.Not sure what the needle was made of.My new one seems to be holding up ok.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    "essgee09" wrote:
    I used to hate the Stones when I was a kid.I don`t know why.When i was about 16 I got into them.I have a vinyl copy of Through The Past Darkly(their 1966-69 singles) but the first side is trashed with paint.Ruby Tuesday kept skipping on ‘lose you mind’ the other night :lol: side 2 is in better shape.

I used to hate them as well, and just as you I have no idea why. Maybe it was just a childish feeling that it was the stones vs the beatles, and I really loved the beatles from I was about 5 or 6.
    Ruby tuesday is a great song as well, I’ll have to search for that one as well tomorrow.

I did`nt get into the Beatles til I was 14 really.

Robert
    Participant

According to my parents I knew evey song on revolver by heart when I was 5. By that I mean that I used to sing what I thought was the lyrics, but granted that I didn’t speak a word english I’m not sure it would pass as knowing every song by heart really. The same goes for born to run by springsteen.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    According to my parents I knew evey song on revolver by heart when I was 5. By that I mean that I used to sing what I thought was the lyrics, but granted that I didn’t speak a word english I’m not sure it would pass as knowing every song by heart really. The same goes for born to run by springsteen.

When I was 5 I was into Donna Summer,Village People,and the Bee Gees :) I never even heard of Springsteen til Born In The USA came out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.