Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Lemonheads competition, free download

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #51061
    Avatar
    Yeah Right
    Participant

    Just found the website for the new Lemonheads album http://www.varshons.com and thought I ‘d share. They’ve got a competition on there (which closes tommorow) where you share your fantasy Lemonheads cover playlist for the chance to win a limited edition 7" ( More info here.)

    The website also has a bunch of banners and wallpapers and offers a free track to download in return for signing up to the mailing list

    No J Mascis guest solos on this one as far as I know :'(

    #135417
    Avatar
    girl
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    No J Mascis guest solos on this one as far as I know :'(

    Oh my, you have to go back to…what?…2006? for that.

    I’m excited! They won’t be too too far away from me on July 1st! *packs special Evan Dando kidnapping supplies*

    #135418
    Avatar
    Yeah Right
    Participant
    "girl" wrote:
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    No J Mascis guest solos on this one as far as I know :'(

    Oh my, you have to go back to…what?…2006? for that.

    I’m excited! They won’t be too too far away from me on July 1st! *packs special Evan Dando kidnapping supplies*

    It’s a long ways…

    I almost had hom a couple of years ago. Had to settle for a photo. Apparently he lives nearby though.

    Two tracks from the new record on their myspace

    Also an article with a sneak preview of an album track here.

    #135419
    Avatar
    girl
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    It’s a long ways…

    Oh right. There is that small thing called the ocean that is kind of in the way. Unless you are half motorboat I guess you’ll have to sit out on this one.

    Quote:
    I almost had him a couple of years ago. Had to settle for a photo. Apparently he lives nearby though.

    Was it a photo taken through your top secret Evan Dando brand stalking camera lens or was it a proper one where you pose with him and he has no idea that you have a chloroform soaked rag in your back pocket? :mrgreen:

    Don’t mind me. Years of plotting international kidnappings has taken its toll on me.

    Oh and thanks for the links. :D I can’t wait to hear the new album in its entirety.

    #135420
    Avatar
    essgee09
    Participant

    I`ve only had two Lemonheads albums in my life.it`s A Shame About Ray which is excellent and Come On Feel on tape which I hardly ever played.

    #135421
    Avatar
    girl
    Participant

    Come On Feel is one of my favorite albums. But that may be because at the time it meant so much to me on a sentimental level…

    Anyways, I wish this new album could’ve been original tunes but settling for new versions of cover songs isn’t half bad. :D

    #135422
    Avatar
    Yeah Right
    Participant
    "girl" wrote:
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    It’s a long ways…

    Oh right. There is that small thing called the ocean that is kind of in the way. Unless you are half motorboat I guess you’ll have to sit out on this one.

    Unfortunately :roll: . I can’t complain though. Got to see him/them a couple of times in a really small venue in Newcastle.

    "girl" wrote:
    Was it a photo taken through your top secret Evan Dando brand stalking camera lens or was it a proper one where you pose with him and he has no idea that you have a chloroform soaked rag in your back pocket? :mrgreen:

    Haha definately the latter, didn’t get to chat to him though.

    "girl" wrote:
    Oh and thanks for the links. :D I can’t wait to hear the new album in its entirety.

    No problem, there are a lot more at http://www.evandando.co.uk including this interview from April about Varshons and the future of The Lemonheads name.

    "essgee09" wrote:
    I`ve only had two Lemonheads albums in my life.it`s A Shame About Ray which is excellent and Come On Feel on tape which I hardly ever played.

    How do you feel about Come On Feel? I Love both of those albums. The first time I heard Come On Feel I bought it from the market and spent the day on a friends roof listening to it on repeat. Good times :) Have you heard Lovey? I have it on cassette, it’s about my favourite Lemonheads record but I think it’s out of print. It’s sort of at a point where he was torn between The Replacements and ‘sunshine pop’.

    So did anybody enter the competition?

    #135423
    Avatar
    girl
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    Unfortunately :roll: . I can’t complain though. Got to see him/them a couple of times in a really small venue in Newcastle.

    Evan Dando and Geordies as far as the eye can see. :D That must’ve been fun. Small venue shows are always magical. I live in Vermont so pretty much any show here consists of no more then 3 people. Because that is what our population is. :mrgreen:

    Great interview by the way. A children’s book to teach them their ABC’s following along the same lines as G is for groupies. :lol: Oh, Evan Dando, what will you come up with next? Will you come out with a line of women’s active wear? Rick James Style trainers perhaps? Li’l Seed sweats for the kiddies?

    It did make me sad to hear he thinks that their is only one more album in the Lemonheads future. But I do understand the point he made about going out on his own and not hiding behind the name.
    I keep forgetting it’s not the 90’s anymore…

    #135424
    Avatar
    essgee09
    Participant

    I never listened to Come On Feel enough to get an opinion on.I should go back to it and get their other albums too.Have`nt heard Lovey.There`s so many bands I listen to it`s hard to get around to everything.The Boston stuff from the early `90s era was a great interest to me.Dino of course,Buffalo Tom,Blake Babies/Juliana Hatfield,Throwing Muses,Pixies…

    #135425
    Avatar
    girl
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    There`s so many bands I listen to it`s hard to get around to everything…

    You have given oodles of great recommendations throughout the years so I guess you can be forgiven. :-* But you should atleast check out the album The Lemonheads. If only for a chance to hear a certain special someone contribute lead guitar. :wink:

    #135426
    Avatar
    essgee09
    Participant
    "girl" wrote:
    "essgee09" wrote:
    There`s so many bands I listen to it`s hard to get around to everything…

    You have given oodles of great recommendations throughout the years so I guess you can be forgiven. :-* But you should atleast check out the album The Lemonheads. If only for a chance to hear a certain special someone contribute lead guitar. :wink:

    I should`ve followed up on The Lemonheads a long time ago.My collection is a mess of things.Inconsistentcy is a trait of being a gemini :mrgreen:

    #135427
    Avatar
    Yeah Right
    Participant

    Apologies in advance for this novel of a post

    "girl" wrote:
    Evan Dando and Geordies as far as the eye can see. :D That must’ve been fun. Small venue shows are always magical. I live in Vermont so pretty much any show here consists of no more then 3 people. Because that is what our population is. :mrgreen:

    It’s crazy, I hadn’t realised how many local Lemonheads fans there were! The site I mentioned earlier, Evandando.co.uk? filled with ’em! I mostly have to travel for gigs so really lucky to have experienced that.

    "girl" wrote:
    Great interview by the way. A children’s book to teach them their ABC’s following along the same lines as G is for groupies. :lol: Oh, Evan Dando, what will you come up with next? Will you come out with a line of women’s active wear? Rick James Style trainers perhaps? Li’l Seed sweats for the kiddies?

    Have you heard the track he did with Juliana for the ‘School Rocks’ record?

    "girl" wrote:
    It did make me sad to hear he thinks that their is only one more album in the Lemonheads future. But I do understand the point he made about going out on his own and not hiding behind the name.
    I keep forgetting it’s not the 90’s anymore…

    From what he said in the interview, I don’t think the music would change drastically. He seems to enjoy letting out his inner Mascis these days, I’m sure it will continue

    "essgee09" wrote:
    I never listened to Come On Feel enough to get an opinion on.I should go back to it and get their other albums too.Have`nt heard Lovey.There`s so many bands I listen to it`s hard to get around to everything.The Boston stuff from the early `90s era was a great interest to me.Dino of course,Buffalo Tom,Blake Babies/Juliana Hatfield,Throwing Muses,Pixies…

    I’d definitely say it’s worth it, that you’d get a lot out of it. Then again I am total Dandophile. I know what you mean though, I got all of Juliana Hatfield’s records and some rare stuff too, but I’m yet to get through it all. I also have a track called Rain which claims to be by the Blake Babies but it’s not Juliana singing. Love the tune though.

    I tried to find someplace streaming a track from Lovey. All I could find were a couple of live renditions of Ride With Me and Stove

    #135428
    Avatar
    essgee09
    Participant

    I wish these bands would release a box set of their albums plus rarities(at a budget price of course).I was going thru the Unrest catalog the other day,just the early `90s stuff!They recorded a bunch in the `80s too.When you go thru ep`s,compilation tracks,etc. plus lp`s there`s alot of material of these groups.
    Beat Happening,The Wipers,and Galaxie 500 have released some great box sets,we could use more of them.

    #135429
    Avatar
    Yeah Right
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    I wish these bands would release a box set of their albums plus rarities(at a budget price of course).I was going thru the Unrest catalog the other day,just the early `90s stuff!They recorded a bunch in the `80s too.When you go thru ep`s,compilation tracks,etc. plus lp`s there`s alot of material of these groups.

    I agree. Especially with the budget prices bit i.e "The Complete Belly: £4.50".

    On the other hand, I do relish the hours I spend scouring record shops for that white German 7" of The Wagon…

    #135430
    Avatar
    essgee09
    Participant

    I did`nt know there was a complete Belly collection!I`ve talked to Tanya on her web site before.She`s pretty sweet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.