Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Just discovered Bill Hicks the other day.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

I’m not sure how I missed him but I think it had something to do with having no TV in my house.
    When I’m at work and I want to listen to some Mckenna lectures on youtube, I would often find a Bill Hicks comedy video in the right hand docket. So the other day, I finally thought, I’m going to listen to this guy…well it turns out that he does a few sketches based on some of Terence Mckenna’s work….which is really very funny. I watched several of his videos and I was laughing to the point of tears. I decided that I wanted to find out more about this guy and I looked up his info on Wiki..I was thinking he radiated Gemini but it turns out he’s a Sagittarius. When I heard the piece about playing music from your heart…I thought, OMG, that’s exactly how I feel…I was thinking, YES,YES,YES…the whole time.

Because J Mascis is a Sag, I often talk about them here, as well as the water signs to include Lou…but in my real life, I have the same amount of fun “playing” with the sun signs in my own neighborhood. One of my Sag girlfriends came to me a few weeks ago, before the first of the year and said to me “I want to be more TENDER”….and it was a funny sounding word, a word I rarely used. So we thought about it a bunch. It’s true, tender is not a word I think of when I think of her. She is starting to feel that there is some friction in her family life due to her lack of tenderness. Tender means to be soft and yielding, delicate and sensitive to others emotions. Water signs are tender,…but fire is not tender, fire is a lesson in survival..fire is the parent who, when the time is right, throws the kid in the water and says “swim”. Anyway, I’ll save the rest of my astrological dialog for my journal but…the fact is, I love my Sag friends because they are not tender. I love my tender friends and they are the ones to call when you need to process your emotions but your fire sign friend is like “don’t call me with your bullshit just fucking change what needs to be changed and get on with it”. It’s like, “yeah, you’re right, thanks a lot” Anyway…..Bill Hicks is a classic example of WHY we love our Sag friends, and the video linked below is not TENDER…”PLAY FROM YOUR FUCKING HEART”…screamed at the top of his lungs…….followed by ” I am available for children’s parties” (LMAO)

Yup, Bill Hicks, this about sums up my feelings when it comes to music……wish I had discovered you earlier!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkA6zugNMQ

I know this is probably old stuff for most of y’all here but it was new to me….I decided to edit and include the piece based on Mckenna’s “stoned ape” theory of how we developed language (which is sound, translated into meaning) and ingesting psilocybin was very likely the springboard for our evolution. 🙂 Not too far fetched of a theory when the evidence that psilocybin and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol played a huge part in the development of our computer technology (and a whole lot more) is irrefutable (imho).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeT3g7udho

Annastefka
    Participant

F…this was supposed to be in Open Topic…I get really confused around here sometimes…Can someone nice move this to the correct area…I could probably figure out how to do it with the edit but that would take time and brain usage that I can’t render today. Sorry and Thanks. 😛

essgee09
    Participant

It`s geminitis.I get confused too.When I saw this thread I thought you were talking about this guy

Annastefka
    Participant

Hey SG, WTF…was that? Wow, I had a pot cookie about an hour before I sat and watched this and I was so confused…is this band for real…or a joke? The audience is laughing…I was so confused!

Juan Carlos came in the room after I had just finished listening to some Bill Hicks and I was still laughing out loud…and he said…”What’s so funny?” and I told him, I just discovered Bill Hicks…and he was like….”That Bluegrass guy?”…no dear, that’s Bill Monroe. He might be thought of as a little bit of a ‘hick but no, I’m talking about a comedian. He had a little bout of Gemini-tis as well.
    On that note…Bill Monroe rocks…I’m not embarrassed to say, I loves me some good bluegrass music. When I was in elementary school, some of our teachers had a bluegrass band together and that was the first music I saw performed live, other than the church choir. It was always in the school cafeteria that had a little stage up front. I think, I must have been so happy to be out of the confines of the classroom and for that reason bluegrass music got stuck up my ass as something enjoyable. This is Bill, and his friends, playing from their hearts….I feel it!

essgee09
    Participant

Dan Hicks is serious I guess.He came out of the Frisco bay area psych rock scene of the `60s but ended up doing this kind of stuff.

I like bluegrass too.You know our Mattman on this site met Bill Monroe.Matt`s dad is a bluegrass musician so that`s why.I bought Norman Blake,Stanley Bros and Johnson Mountain Boys records recently.I think I need more of this stuff.
    Here`s a bluegrass band I love.The Crooked Jades from Frisco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHlGlFPlAVI

Hybridge
    Participant

Interesting Crooked Jades clip; they get some nice press here. Erik Pearson plays with them, though I didn’t see him in the video–Erik also played sax, etc. in an early lineup of Daevid Allen’s University of Errors in the late ’90s and still plays in Mushroom.

The Crooked Jades are good, very much about the songs. I like the older shredders—Doc Watson, Bill Monroe, the Stanley Brothers, and the next generation–Tony Rice, The Seldom Scene, David Grisman, Peter Rowan–I don’t follow much new old time music.

If you like bluegrass, you’ll like The Seldom Scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9vhhGyRyo

And since Bill Hicks mentioned evolution, entheogens, and space, here’s Erik Pearson and Mushroom with Eddie Gale:

Annastefka
    Participant

Thanks guys, that was nice to hear some different music. Bluegrass really works best live doesn’t it? It’s all about the “speedy strings”……….enjoyed the the Mushroom with Eddie Gale also…of course, wished it had been miked better….nice groove music and the Seldom Scene…great bluegrass “Rider”. When I met my husband he was a huge Dead fan (and represented what’s his name, OMG…Jerry Garcia with his art, seriously, I couldn’t remember for a few seconds..my brain is starting to short circuit)
    I wasn’t into the Grateful Dead at all…and he couldn’t stand Dinosaur Jr, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, etc. He would tell me that my choice of music showed that I wasn’t happy or comfortable in my own being. He said I listened to really sad, dark, uncomfortable music because that must be how I feel on the inside. All I needed to do was spend some time with him and he would set my soul off in the right direction (LOL). It was a funny beginning. He took me to my first Dead show…and I had the best time…he ordered extra tickets and let me…pick and choose from those standing around outside the venue…who I wanted to “make a miracle with”. Quickly, I saw his huge, warm, generous loving Leo heart and the rest is history…awwww.

I have had only one Sagittarius boyfriend and I was in my last year of highschool. He went to the local Christian school and he was VERY religious….but that didn’t stop him from being a rascal in all sorts of ways..Bill Hicks…”goat boy” comes to mind. That said…I have an old book that makes fun of sun signs and gives them “ideal” jobs that are funny. The Sag’s are always something “fast and full of fire and with a little God thrown in”….He was a race car driver and his name was “Lane” which is a cosmic giggle in itself……I found out many years later that he was racing cars during the week and was a preacher on the weekends…a race car driving preaching Sagittarius would have been a perfect addition to the astrological “joke book” but it turns out it was TRUE.

I posted this on my FB this weekend and I have to share it here. This was too funny. Bill Hicks mentions in interviews that his parents thought he would grow up to be a preacher…and he said…he would have liked to do that but he knew his ideas about God were a little left of center…in this clip…I was blown away, I’m always trying to find examples to use, to describe the essence of certain Sun signs and this AGAIN is classic Sagittarius….I know, J Mascis has said that “being a priest” was a thought he once had..I think it’s sort of in a joking way, I’m not sure, but here it is….Sagittarius Perfectus.…A little bit of hard truth, a little bit of laugher…and then shooting and aiming his arrow straight for the heart of God…A “heroic dose” followed by a “God lift me up out of this illusion” Yup..been there, done that…AMEN! Enjoy…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFJd94XRck

essgee09
    Participant

Thanks for the vids Hybridge.I have one Seldom Scene album and I probably should get more.I like the older bluegrass too but the first 4 Crooked Jades albums are especially good and deserve more attention.They`re just epic! Just really well done.
    Eddie Gale is cool.He played on Cecil Taylor`s Unit Structures!

Hybridge
    Participant

I’ll check out the Crooked Jades again, thanks essgee. Eddie Gale also played with Sun Ra and Coltrane. Pat Thomas, Erik Pearson et al are lucky to’ve played and made an album with him, he’s pretty great.

tom
    Participant

Bill Hicks is awesome. My favorite comedian of all time.

Annastefka
    Participant

Totally went through the whole Bill Hicks collection over the past few weeks. His voice is needed now more than ever. When the “punch line” of your joke is “God is love and love is all there is, and if love is all there is there can be no opposite.” …”Cool Dad”! “I think that would be such a neat “trip” in a way, with your parents. That’s a perfect joke….Bill Hicks take on the “Family Trip”…I was laughing too hard!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjQ51dnLtg

ChrisPBacon2
    Participant

I first heard Bill Hicks on Tool’s album, the last song Third Eye. I researched his stuff and he just tells it like it is get over it or under it. but one way you’ll get through it. Him and George Carlin are my fav.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.