Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anthony
    Participant

we caught this show @ the Black Cat in DC (Friday the 13th).

These guys were travelling in style… a big tour bus. (think it was evans tho).

J was seen coming out of the bus with Bob, then took him for a little stroll on the block.

He played the blue strat and really went off on a couple tunes.
    At the end of the gig he broke a string on it and switched to a yellow/whitish telecaster or strat (some fender).

CV rocked hard, I was kinda pissed @ evan so we left before his set.
    evan comes out in the crowd during CV right in front of me jumping up and down like a maniac. wasnt cool at all.

CV played probably every tune off Easy Listening, closing with TV Eye and a super hard core Modified Frankenstein.

If you get a chance see these guys play live, go for it… Fuck evan, dont go to that gig.

AGAP
    Participant

Thanks for the review, hope to have the chance to check out CV soon!

Gotta love J bringing Bob along for the tour :aliensmile:

expect nothing
    Participant

awwww … "J was seen coming out of the bus with Bob, then took him for a little stroll on the block."
    Great little review sounds like CV and J are giving it everything *biiig smile*

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey anthony, thanks a lot for the review, great to hear you enjoyed the show, even with some Evan action right in front of you …Evan Dando jumping around during the CV show :shock: :lol: :aliensmile:

… definitely cool to know that Bob made the trip with J 8)

squeapler
    Participant

Belated Hi to Anthony! :D Danny and I saw you in the downstairs bar before the show and I was about to say hi when John Petkovic from CV came down and made a beeline for us – looked for you after we finished conversing with John but didn’t see ya, then didn’t run into ya again for the rest of the night.

I had some guy push right in front of me during CV as well, he seemed kinda drunk. I just shoved him aside :wink: Good thing Evan didn’t get in front of me or I woulda done the same to him, probably not recognizing him with the facial hair. Nothing comes between me and my CV :twisted:

Lessee, what more can I say about the show…Flying Cloud already crossposted the link to my post-show review in the CV forum so I’ll just add a few things. First of all J’s solos rocked. I’m glad he doesn’t try to note-for-note the album solos, I like to hear something a little different at the shows. And, I wouldn’t expect a master like him to do note-for-note anyway. Secondly the layout of the Black Cat stage pushed J more to the front than the last time I saw him. That was cool! Third, I was told that the kinda tinny-sounding flowered guitar is actually J’s own – I wasn’t sure about this on an earlier thread. It does sound a little cheesy, although J makes it sound pretty good. If someone not of J’s calibre was playing it, though, it would prolly sound awful. Finally, I don’t think I saw J and Mark switch off on drums this gig – at the Cleveland Grog Shop show a couple months ago, J played drums on one or two songs while Mark played guitar, but this time J just played guitar all the way through.

Regarding Dando, like I already said somewhere else I enjoyed hearing Juliana Hatfield + George Berz more than I liked hearing Evan – I guess Evan and Juliana together are cool but he seemed a little lightweight compared to everyone else. George once again impressed the hell outta me with his drumming. He is just superb. I wished him and J would do a little jam but unfortunately, no.

All in all a great night, hope the rest of the shows are going as well as this one seemed to for J and the CV boys :P

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey squeapler, thanks a lot for the details of the Cobra Verde show with J! :mrgreen:
    Would be so great if they came over to Europe … I wouldn’t miss them :)

AGAP
    Participant

Heres another pretty pleasing review of the Philly shows, guy loved Cobra Verde & shares his not so flattering opinion of Evan Dando :shock:

Tons of other great shows reviewed in the arrticle, Mike Watt & The Secondman, Supersuckers, Cramps, Rocket From The Crypt, Lou Reed, Syl Sylvain, X….

Geoff Ginsberg/i94bar.com :aliensmile:

Cobra Verde played at the Khyber and I was really looking forward to seeing them. I’d heard great things about their new record, had met the bass player (Ed) when I was in Cleveland for the Powertrane gig (he works at the Beachland), and J. Mascis was guesting on guitar. Having said that, I was totally unprepared for it. They were completely awesome. The material (really catchy and blazing rock at the same time) was superb and they kicked it out on stage. I was REALLY blown away. I was unfamiliar with the songs (other than the Undertones’ "Teenage Kicks" and "TV Eye"), but by the time the songs ended they were indelibly imprinted in my psyche. This is genuine, bona fide unhyphenated rock. I picked up the CD ("Easy Listening" on Muscletone Records) on the way out and have been listening to it just about every day since. This is the album of the year so far. Get it now, thank me later. It’s a masterstroke. :mrgreen:

Cobra Verde was making a quick return to town, this time opening up for J. Mascis’ buddy Evan Dando. I could go off about how much I loathe Dando, about how he ruined it when he sang with Mike Watt, Ron Asheton, and Mascis, about what a pathetic junkie is, about how totally pretentious he is, but I won’t.

Cobra Verde: Coming to a discount store near you.

We did elect to go over and check out Cobra Verde even though they’d be doing a short set. Well, there was less people in this 1200 capacity room (the Troc) for Dando and Cobra than there had been in the 150 capacity Khyber for just Cobra. This pleased me. It was good to see Dando fall on his face figuratively instead of literally for a change. Cobra kicked ass and by this time I knew all the songs. They threatened to play a song by arguably one of the worst bands this city ever produced, The Dead Milkmen, but did the Undertones cover. "Ooops, we forgot the Dead Milkmen song." Thank doG. As I said earlier – album of the year.

rambleon
    Participant

oh boy ! evan’s not a very popular guy around here ! :shock:

Quote:
    I could go off about how much I loathe Dando, about how he ruined it when he sang with Mike Watt, Ron Asheton, and Mascis, about what a pathetic junkie is, about how totally pretentious he is, but I won’t
    Quote:
    evan comes out in the crowd during CV right in front of me jumping up and down like a maniac. wasnt cool at all.
    Quote:
    Fuck evan, dont go to that gig.

AGAP
    Participant

I think a lot of people here love Evan Dandos music, myself included, lots have enjoyed his recent shows as well.

It seems the guy above from Real O Mind records is having a hard time getting by the junkie period of ED’s life, which is a shame, he didn’t even mention the new music. A couple people here have experienced some annoying/confrontational behavior from ED at recent shows & are understandably pissed.

Geoff Ginsberg certainly loved the new Cobra Verde though, calling it the record of the year :shock:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.