Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions J’s son named after Rory Gallagher?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wakeupnow
    Participant

I believe J’s son is named Rory- pretty sure I read that in an interview somewhere, and the name is listed on the list of names on the “thanks” for the new album… I don’t mean to get PERSONAL, but the question came up because my father is a massive Rory Gallagher fan… J Mascis used to have a Rory Gallagher Fender Strat, he used to play it with “Mountain Man” at the end of every show, until it and his guitars/gear were stolen in August of 2006 in NYC. So he knows who Rory Gallagher is. Does anyone know if he named his son after the legendary Irish blues guitarist? Would be pretty cool if he did! (again, sorry for getting into private matter, I respect their privacy…)

Obseqio
    Participant

I don”t know, but I’ve been under that impression. Is there a Rory in the Stooges or The Wipers? I hope it wasn’t after Mike Meyers Rory.

wakeupnow
    Participant

I don’t know whether there is a Rory in the Stooges or The Wipers, I’d have to check. I actually just did a tribute to Rory Gallagher on my radio show at Umass Amherst, and wished I could have gotten a brief interview with J about any Rory influence (if there is one). BTW– I plan on doing a J Mascis/Dinosaur Jr tribute in the future. I’ll be sure to share that info with ya’ll when the time comes!

tom
    Participant

I’m pretty sure j is a big rory Gallagher fan. I remember him playing the intro to cradle rock at an Ann Arbor show between songs

essgee09
    Participant

I remember him saying that`s he`s “into blues based guitarists if they`re hot” in an interview

wakeupnow
    Participant

That’s awesome! I recently interviewed Rory’s brother/manager for my radio show. I mentioned the Rory connection (the Rory strat)- he said he’d “check Dinosaur Jr out”. He also loved the name Dinosaur Jr.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.