Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Jim Roth on Several Shades of Why

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JPDman
    Participant

I just bought the new album today and when i was looking inside the casing for the CD, I noticed that in the ‘Thanks to’ section, Jim Roth, one of the guitarists in Built to Spill was mentioned. I was wondering if anyone had any idea about why he is mentioned or what how he contributed to the album.

tom
    Participant

Dino and Built to Spill have played several dates together. Jim builds effect pedals. Maybe Jim built one for J….just a guess.

JPDman
    Participant

Guess that makes sense

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

This interview in Premier Guitar confirms it 🙂 – http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Apr/J_Mascis_Unplugged_and_Unfazed_But_Not_Unfuzzed.aspx

“Songs like “Where Are You,” “Can I,” and “What Happened” feature distorted guitar parts. Were they recorded with acoustic or electric guitars?

It’s acoustic through a fuzz pedal.

All of it?

Yeah.

And which fuzz pedal did you use for those parts?

I think a lot of those parts were recorded when I was using a fuzz that Jim Roth, the guitarist in Built to Spill, made. I think it’s a copy of a Tone Bender, although I don’t know which one, MKI or MKII.”

JPDman
    Participant

Thanks jeremiah.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.