Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room Jazzmaster Replacement Bridges

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hi all, does any1 know what type of bridge J puts into his Jazzmasters? I know he doesn’t use the ones they come with as he’s been quite vocal in saying how much he doesn’t like them. Any info would b appreciated.

Cheers.

d*

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Loook i remember reading something about using a strat bridge. Read this article(http://www.expectdelay.com/mbv/articles/interview7.html) cause he talks about how he always changes his bridges.
    P.s: dont quote me on the strat bridge replacement.

swervegarden jr
    Participant

old post… most likely a mustang bridge, as a strat bridge would require hole drilling in the body

Randy Jane
    Participant

yeah, it’s the Mustang bridge. That’s a common mod. It’s funny how you take parts from a guitar that no one really liked (as much as Jag’s or Jazzy’s) and make your Jag’s/Jazzy’s better. I love my Mustang though. Although, a Lake Placid Blue Jazzy with matching headstock and a tortoise pickguard would be a dream.

RJ

tonas

Its not a mustang bridge, J uses the tune o matic bridges that come on SG’s and Les Pauls

simmons
    Participant

I have two jazzmasters and have problems with string buzzing.I have no buzzstop device. Is the buzzing the reason why J has the brigdes switched?

simmons
    Participant

I was told to better use 0.11 or thicker strings on the jazzmaster. I have no string slipping with 0.11.
    I had a new japanese Jaguar where the strings slipped too much, using 010.
    I used a file to cut deeper tracks for the strings on the brigde and it helped them sit still. Added some vazeline to avoid friction.. helped a bit.

lofi73
    Participant

I have two Jazzmasters w/ Mustang bridges and 0.10´s….Works fine.Bending and buzzing is no problem :)

black tiger
    Participant

Jazzmasters and Jags were designed in an era when 13s were considered light strings. If you stick to 11s or 12s, and your guitar is set up properly, buzz and slippage shouldn’t really be a problem.

NeonBoulevard
    Participant

it sounds interesting!
    i own two jazz’s and a jag and their bridge are really buzzy… does anybody how the switch to a gibson tuneomatic work??? should i need to make any mods or it would be a "plug-and-play" stuff?
    many thanks mates!

Randy Jane
    Participant

coming from a guy who only still wants a Jazzy/Jag, I believe I have read that it is plug and play. You could always got to http://www.Warmoth.com or http://www.Stewmac.com I’m sure they have the dimensions of the bridges if you wish to compare.

Yeah, I forgot about the Tune o’matics, yeah……ok.
    lol
    My Mustang has a….well, a mustang bridge and I use 12’s on it….I love ’em. No one else does, they all say its too hard to play, but…playing my 13’s on my D-28 and then going to the Mustang playing on its 12’s……its like playing ropes then going to an Ibanez Jem.

R.J.

lofi73
    Participant
    "NeonBoulevard " wrote:
    it sounds interesting!
    i own two jazz’s and a jag and their bridge are really buzzy… does anybody how the switch to a gibson tuneomatic work??? should i need to make any mods or it would be a "plug-and-play" stuff?
    many thanks mates!

I´m no expert on this,but the "Standard" T.o.m.-bridge should fit but might cause problems with neck radius.The other T.o.m.-bridges requires some drilling.If the Mustang-bridge is set up in a fixed position it should be as good as a T.o.m.

Randy Jane
    Participant

I have always liked the Mustang barrell saddles over the T.O.M. triangles. Kurt used the t.o.m. on his Jaguar. He had one or two more Jags too, but I dont know anything about those. I think he had a red one and a dark blue one perhaps. I don’t think he played it/them much, they were right handed….but I know the sunburst Jag had a tom on it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.