Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Dinosaur/J News & Discussions › J Mascis/Dinosaur Freakscene Festival
- This topic has 81 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 18 years, 7 months ago by Rich.
August 14, 2004 at 10:48 am #47236
would anyone be intrested in attending a Freakscene fest, say if we threw one in NYC. It may be like a 2 day 3 day thing topsAugust 14, 2004 at 11:48 am #104412
Great idea Rich, I have thought about that before. When I lived in NYC we had every year in Central Park a Mississippi fest, for those born and raised in the delta. You would need to be the coordinator. The biggest issue for most would, I suspect, be a place to stay. Some of us have friends that we could stay with. Some freak sceners live close by. I would love to have the chance to come back to NYC again for a few days and bring my oldest daughter, she would just freak out!!!!! With something like this, you need to plan in advance, say a few months or .You can’t just do it next month unless you wanted to be more of a local event which would be cool also. Winter is right around the corner.August 14, 2004 at 12:34 pm #104413
yeah i think spring time or maybe next summer, I’m gonna need help coordinating, so i need some freaks close by to help out, I know theres got to be some freaks that live in the city or with some connections in the city. We all need to pull together.
and of course i need some people to express some intrest in going
maybe if we can get J to do a special fan’s only show and photo op
who knows right now the the skys the limit
ill contact jeremiah and see how he feels about it,
Boston maybe another city of intrest for thisAugust 15, 2004 at 10:02 am #104414
…would be a reason for me to combine plans and to finally visit my sister in NYAugust 15, 2004 at 11:18 am #104415
okay i was just thinking, a good place to start this would be at a small venue like Maxwell’s in hoboken, its 5 minutes from NYC, and could sell out fast. We could get some freakscene member bands to play, or a Dino cover band to play if we cant get J to play for us.August 15, 2004 at 3:09 pm #104416
that sounds like a great idea … keep us posted :aliensmile:August 15, 2004 at 4:58 pm #104417
Great idea RichAugust 15, 2004 at 7:49 pm #104418
if anyone has any exp in stuff like this or any ideas email me at [email protected]August 16, 2004 at 11:37 am #104419
1. Maxwell’s would be good or North Six in Brooklyn.
2. I am sure J would be down if it was that much notice, like next Spring
3. My band would be down to play, and we could just do covers if thats what people wanted.August 17, 2004 at 2:29 pm #104420
please email me more info, we might be able to do something great. email
bart dahl (me) [email protected] and brian schwartz: [email protected],
we manage J and would be the best contacts to get this kind of ball rolling.
thanks for the continued support.
anyone got anymore thoughts/ideas before I email him
please respond asapAugust 17, 2004 at 2:40 pm #104421
maybe lard zep could play one night of the festival ? :aliensmile: … so one night of cover bands – like lard zep + ammaring nyc’s band playing dino covers … + the next night j + the fog … maybe w/the wounded knees opening up – or how about sea of cortez ? … if j doesn’t want to play music, he could always dj + play his fave punk 7"s …August 17, 2004 at 2:45 pm #104422
or how about another deep wound reunion ?August 17, 2004 at 2:57 pm #104423
ok … my husband is throwing out some suggestions …
1. j acoustic (or electric) set w/a 1/2 hour forum or so for a question + answer session afterwards which could be recorded + put up on this website or freesofree.net
2. rent out a hall/club + have everyone meet up + bring their j pics + rare stuff (like a record fair type thing) + maybe also have a dj playing j – related tunes … even like MBV + GBV etc … or maybe even have j himself dj-ing
3. unrelated idea … my husband thinks there should be somewhere on one of his websites – either this one or jmascis.com where freakscenesters (jheads – whatever) could email in their questions + j could answer his fave one of the monthAugust 17, 2004 at 3:01 pm #104424
also, it would be a lot better if you could do this sort of thing next summer b/c it would give us time to save up for the plane tix ! :aliensmile:August 17, 2004 at 4:18 pm #104425
I had emailed J’s management seeing if they could get him to open for the Pixies in NYC because it was with Mission of Burma and they are all MA bands, and Maybe have a Dino reunion in support of the rereleases but I am not sure if J would want to do it and I don’t know if the other guys are going to profit from the re releases so they may not want to. But I think anything is possible and they have been together more lately. It seems to me like J is more focused on Louisa and Amma and playing with other people and stuff to broaden himself which I think is great but if there was a little more publicity like the pixies show it would really help boost his marketability. I know so many people that don’t even know there was a second Fog album. It seems as though the following gets less and less when it could be growing or at least rejuvinated. Anyway, For this other show we are working on I am sure Evan Dando or the Lemonheads might be down to open. And Juliana hatfield, and Sea of Cortez or Mike Watt’s projects. Or if not a reunion how about Sebadoh who I heard might get a drummer and fully reunite and J and the Fog, not just accoustic stuff like North Hampton and bring the old fans back together and quash the old separation. We should really see if we can orchestrate an awesome bill. Maybe even try the impossible and get Kevin Shields to play or Ride who cancelled their opening for a Dino show years ago, I have heard they have played accoustic together. It would be a shoegazer revival. Just dreaming.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)