Home Forums General Discussions Site Suggestions + Comments J Mascis Guest DJ @ Punk Rock Aerobics Book Release

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

AGAP
    Participant

Just a heads up to J fans in the Boston Area,
    J will be appearing as a guest DJ @ the book
    release party for Maura Jasper & Hilken Mancinis
    Punk Rock Aerobics. You can check out J, buy the
    book & then let us know J’s DJ mix :wink:

So, head to Zuzu’s 472 Mass Ave, Central Square,
    Cambridge-> Feb 7th @ 10pm 8)

Also appearing as guest DJ’s, Mary Timony & Clint
    Conley of Mission of Burma

Here’s the homepage for Punk Rock Aerobics.com

Some great pics there, even some of J…:aliensmile:

Thanks to SG & Rambleon for the info 8)

out there
    Participant

I’ve moved to Boston 1 month ago (from Brazil) and I’ll already be able to meet my biggest idol! That is absolutely fantastic, I’ve been waiting for that for so long, and hey, it’s already tomorrow!

I’ll definitelly be there. 8)

rambleon
    Participant

yeah !!! you’ll have to tell us all about it :aliensmile: :aliensmile:

AGAP
    Participant

Lucky So & So, if I had won the 32 million canadian lottery yesterday I would have met you there… :wink: :aliensmile:

Have a great time 8)

rambleon
    Participant

hey bela … how’d it go ? :D

well, you moved to the right place as far as meeting j is concerned b/c he’s often in the boston area (+ nyc too) … just wish he had visited a lot more when i lived there :roll: :D

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey bela or anyone who was there, would be great to hear some impressions …and what else you brought with you from there :?: :!: :D

great for a J fan to live around the Boston area, many shows were going on there during the last years :) and welcome on the site, bela :)đŸ™‚

rambleon
    Participant

pra book party update :mrgreen: :

Home > A&E > Celebrity news

NAMES
    Aerobics gets punked; Brudnoy gets a beret; Bon Jovi gets Belichick
    By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan, 2/9/2004

NEVER MIND THE BUTTOCKS Beer swilling is not what you expect at a book signing, but then "Punk Rock Aerobics" is a different sort of book. Described by authors Maura Jasper and Hilken Mancini as "the love child of Richard Simmons and Richard Hell," "Punk Rock Aerobics" is a workout regime for folks who prefer X-Ray Spex to Spandex. (Exercises include a leg lifter called "the fire hydrant" and the self-explanatory "face down butt lift.") At a raucous book party Saturday night at ZuZu!, singer Mary Timony, guitarist J. Mascis, and Mission of Burma bassist Clint Conley did the celebrity DJ thing, spinning their favorite 7-inches while scenesters Jasper and Mancini mingled with, among others, Chris Brokaw of Consonant, Upper Crusty Dave Fredette, Tara McManus of Mr. Airplane Man, Heavy Stud’s Melissa Gibbs, the Gentlemen’s Ed Valauskas, and former Bosstone Nate Alpert. Mascis, the former Dinosaur Jr. frontman, took his DJ duties seriously, even wearing an Adidas warm-up jacket a la the late Jam Master Jay. "I thought it was a nice touch," he said, pulling a Public Image Ltd. single from its sleeve. Asked if he actually does aerobics, Mascis just smiled. "Nah, I do yoga." Conley, who is pictured in the book doing a move called "the biceptual," doesn’t have much time to work out these days. In May, Mission of Burma will release its first new record in more than 20 years. "Most people have the good sense not to act out their midlife crisis in public," he said. We wanted someone to demonstrate a "puss-up," but everyone was too busy practicing the pint lifter.

from here :arrow: http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2004/02/09/aerobics_gets_punked_brudnoy_gets_a_beret_bon_jovi_gets_belichick/

rambleon
    Participant

still would like to know what tunes were played :roll: :aliensmile:

out there
    Participant

Unfortunately, I’ll have to go back to Brazil in a couple of days, which means I’ll miss the show of my life (J Mascis, Sonic Youth and Sebadoh), in Northampton, Massachusetts.

I hope to be back (for good!) as soon as possible. Anyway, meeting one of my biggest idols was certainly an amazing experience.

Yes, I look dumb in those pictures. Of course I look dumb – not only because I was talking while the pictures were taken, but also because I was standing right beside this genius which has made many moments of my life much more understandable and less painful. 8) I was FREAKING OUT!

[img]http://spa.fotologs.net/users/b/e/l/a/bela/my_photos/2004/02/14/1076736074.jpg[/img]

[img]http://spa.fotologs.net/users/b/e/l/a/bela/my_photos/2004/02/15/1076826275.jpg[/img]

Cloud9
    Participant

2 Bad U miss that great show :(
    Good luck with everything

Thanks 4 tha great pics :aliensmile:

rambleon
    Participant

wish i could see those pix too … unfortunately my phone line is down + has been since thursday, so until BT pulls their finger out :shock: + fixes it, i have to use the computers @ the library which i guess aren’t that great … :roll: bummer !!!!!

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey bela, thanks a lot for sharing these nice pics with us!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    you know, there’s always free space in our album for them. feel free to upload them there! :D:D:D
    I’m hoping all the best for your US plans, sorry to hear though, you’ll miss the show on 04/30!

now we’re curious here: how was it??? which kind of records J played? was there aerobics done too or just talking about the book? all facts are highly appreciated!!!

(by the way, the pics didn’t load automatically for me, I had to reload the page a few times. but it’s worth trying. thanks again for sharing, bela! )

rambleon
    Participant

bummer :| … my phone line’s back now + unfortunately i still can’t see those pix … :( … i’ll keep trying though …

Cloud9
    Participant

These r the 2 Nice Pics Of Bela
    Hope this works better :)

[img]http://img16.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Spaceboy/b2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img16.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Spaceboy/b1.jpg[/img]

rambleon
    Participant

yep … that did the trick … thanks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: … bela, you don’t look scary at all … j’s looking a little iffy in the 1st one though … :o

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.