Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups J in Lisbon, Portugal 11/29

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

empty canvas
    Participant

I was happy that the audience was so good, people were singing along to a lot of songs, and clapping and cheering and I think j’s "little smiles" were because of that, hehe. I didn’t expect that because I really don’t know other fans here and had to go alone… but I still had a really good time and got into the front row :D
    The music on before the show was very well chosen, mad season :) .. J was almost 40 min late (the show was supposed to start at 9:30 and it started at 10 something), then the curtains opened and there was the man playing Someone Said. Sadly I can’t tell all the songs he played because I don’t own all dinosaur jr albums, but he played these (not on this order), plus 5 or so… and 2 encores 8)
    Someone said
    Repulsion
    Freakscene
    The wagon
    Ammaring
    Freedom
    If that’s how it’s gotta be
    Everybody lets me down
    What else is new
    Alone
    The wagon
    Sameday
    Wastin
    Free so free
    Forget the swan

The last song he played sounded like a cowboy song, about riding a horse, can anyone tell me the name? :roll:
    The freakscene solo was soooooooooooo goood.. and others too, of course :lol:

Did anyone else attended this show by any chance? Or the Oporto show yesterday? I’d like to hear some other opinions.
    rita

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Sounds like a GREAT show :) and like you had a great time :), Thanks for the review!

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey empty canvas, thanks a lot for the review :D
    It’s fantastic to see that J has a lot of fans in so many different countries :mrgreen: :o 8)
    It would be interesting to know more about the cowboy song you mention. I don’t know which one it could have been…

AGAP
    Participant

Thanks for the review, sounds like it was a great show!!! Not sure about that cowboy song either, J recently did a song on the peel show called I just want to go home…at least I think that was the name, wonder if thats the song you heard. Not sure if thats a cover or a new song by J.

Allison 8)

ps welcome to the site :mrgreen:

SG
    Participant

Thanks for the review and setlist :D
    I think the cowboy song might be Every Mother`s Son,a Lynryd Skynrd song J usually plays

Bukowski
    Participant

Hey Rita,

Eu estive no concerto em Lisboa, e também fui sozinho apesar de ter convite duplo. Mas morar na Figueira da Foz não ajuda muito. De qualquer maneira formas dos 350 kms mais bem gastos da minha vida, como já calculava. Se quiseres diz coisas para o meu email: [email protected]
    empty canvas,

empty canvas
    Participant

thanks everyone :)
    J played the "cowboy song" (I called that cause it was pure country song) on the 2nd encore, I noticed that no one sang along but I didn’t know it would be rare or something!
    I wish I could give the complete setlist, but I’m 1/4 ignorant on dinosaur jr songs :oops: but I’m sure that the next time I got to his show I’ll know all the songs :mrgreen:

a-ha, another portuguese folk here! it’s cool. you can check your e-mail box ;)

rambleon
    Participant

hey allison … the 1st song j played on the peel session was a cover of "i feel like going home" by charlie rich … when j played some records on london’s xfm "hijack" show a few years ago, he played that record.

j said he really liked charlie rich and when he was in dinosaur jr they were on the same label … some guy who worked for their label was going to arrange it so they could meet up with him (d jr and c rich), but he died before that could happen … that’s just a bit of possibly useless trivia for you :wink:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey rambleon, thanks for clearing that up :)
    I was wondering, too.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I feel like going home – Charlie Rich

….those lyrics don’t mention a horse though…..

Here is a song about riding a horse! :wink: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

looking at these lyrics, It was definitely the Charlie Rich song at the latest John Peel show . thanks dB :)
    Bon Jovi :?: :lol: :twisted:
    I wonder if the Charlie Rich song was the one, empty canvas describes…

rambleon
    Participant

you’re right … no horse in that song, but definitely v.v.countrified (not really a word, but it seems to fit) … the horse-song mystery continues … :)

AGAP
    Participant

I think it’s what Salami said, Every Mother’s Son cover by Lynard Skynard. Can’t believe I didn’t remember that :roll: listening to it a lot lately, it’s on a Philadelphia show bootleg as part of the encore 8)Lyrics

The Horror…a certain lame hair band mentioned twice today on FreakScene :shock: :twisted: :wink:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

that sounds plausible, indeed :)

(I promise to hold back further mentions of lame hair bands – if possible :wink: :evil: :aliensmile:)

rambleon
    Participant

i know it might sound crazy … but i’ve heard that song so many times and i never once thought of it as a cowboy/horse song … duh ! … well, i guess we cleared that one up once and for all … :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.