Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions J in another upcoming Alison Anders film…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Well it looks like J is going to be in another Alison Anders film titled Things Behind The Sun :
    Here are a couple emails I got from <A>Mike Bruggink</A> (who was working as an intern)

The movie is going to be titled Things Behind the Sun. It will be premiering at the next Sundance Film Festival. It stars Eric Stoltz, Rosanna Arquette, Kim Dickens, Don Cheadle, Gabriel Mann, Patsy Kensit, and
    has cameos with J. Mascis in almost all the live band scenes, also a lot of the crew is in one scene or another. It was filmed entirely on the space coast.

I recently got to hang out with J.Mascis on the set of Allison Anders’ upcoming film. It was filled in my town of Cocoa Beach, Fl and is based on Anders’ childhood experiences here. For example, we filmed in
    the exact location where she was raped by her friend and his brother when she was very young. It is sure to be a great film, I know because I was an intern. It was the 1st movie I had ever worked on and I started
    out being an extra and I talked my way into being part of the crew. I had no idea that the long haired, quiet drummer was the guy from Dinosaur Jr. All the crew was buzzin about how J Mascis was so "Zen-ed out" and people were trippin on that. He has quite a few scenes in the movie. At one point he picked up the guitar and started to rip. The other guys in the band were sweating bullets under the hot lights, but I never saw J even break a sweat. We filmed at a bar on the beach and then it was my duty to take the band to the set of the next location, so we all piled into Allison’s SUV and since we had a half hour to kill I showed these guys around, took them to the pier, then J wanted to see Ron Jon’s. I forget the names of the other guys, but I’m pretty sure all their names started with a J. There was John who was he bassist, J. Mascis the drummer, and I think another guy named Jay was the guitarist, but these guys were from Cali.
    Anyway these guys were way cool and that’s the reason I joined the mailing list. I had always been a fan of Dinosaur Jr. and it was cool to get the opportunity to hang with J and the others. Hope you enjoyed the story.

Best,

<A>Mike Bruggink</A>

Thanks for sharing those with us Mike!
    For those of you that don’t know,
    J has worked with Alison Anders on a number of films [Gas Food Lodging, Grace Of My Heart & Sugar Town] as well as contributing songs and producing some of the soundtracks.

<A>Jeremiah</A>

FreakScene

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Shade
    Participant

Well. That’s so great that J did a cameo in another one of her films. I am actually working on a screenplay which I wrote in a cameo especially for J. Maybe someday if I get the ball rolling and actually make the movie, then J will agree to make an appearance! How fun. Does he have an agent or someone who represents him for these sorts of projects? It’s a theoretical question at this point but something good to know. [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Shade
    Participant

i forgot to mention in my above reply, that my username "shade" was the name of the lead character in Allison Ander’s film "Gas Food Lodging." That’s why I used it as my username. I’m not sure if anyone caught that. [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shade:
    <STRONG>i forgot to mention in my above reply, that my username "shade" was the name of the lead character in Allison Ander’s film "Gas Food Lodging." That’s why I used it as my username. I’m not sure if anyone caught that. [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] I really liked that movie cos it has this early-90’s touch to it and it reminded me of that precious era of my childhood [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

THINGS BEHIND THE SUN TO SHOW ON SHOWTIME
    AUGUST 18

[img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.