Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

Stanley Jordan?at least J did`nt cover Stairway To Heaven instrumentally [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I like some of Jordan`s acoustic jazz stuff(his version of Coltrane`s Impressions is great)he is a great guitar player,that tapping technique he got from Allan Holdsworth,not Eddie Van Halen who usually gets credited for it.

Javro

Jaspar – listen to some Jordan stuff – treasures or flying home if you can find it. you’ll see what I mean.

salami – that version of stairway rocks! And let’s not forget some of our man’s choice covers…. Leavin’ on a jet plane…

I love every track J has ever done, so please do not mis-undertand me, all’s I am saying is that there is a lot of d’s, em’s, g’s and c’s going on (admittedly, he uses a capo a lot). Even listening to someone like Evan Dando – what the fuck is the chord progression in something like Rudderless?
    J is still without a doubt my God (alongside Paolo di Canio), but best guitarist ever? See what he would make of that. He still (from what I’ve read) considers himself a drummer first and foremost anyways.

bean
    Participant

i dont know about the greatest, and j just has such a great feel, but theres a guy named jeff healy whos really mainstream- he did the soundtrack for patrick swayzes movie roadhouse- but he can pretty much murder a guitar

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Bean,

Your right Jeff Healey is pretty main stream, but he does play a wicked guitar, he’s originally from Canada and is blind…if we’re talking about the same guy. Not my kinda sounds obviously but hey pretty talented guy.

Allison

SG
    Participant

Jeff Healey also murdered Neil Young`s Harvest [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] on a Neil tribute a few years ago.
    He`s a good guitar player I agree,He also has a large collection of 78`s from the 1920`s and 30`s.He used to do a radio show and play them,it was really cool,I learned alot from it.It was early jazz from 1917-1942.

Robert
    Participant

Some of Ben Harpers early live stuff, from the period around Welcome To The Cruel World and Will To Live, is pretty cool. Not impressed by the albums following though.

latino_keno
    Participant

j mascis
    billy corgan
    thurston and lee
    neil young
    jimi
    kevin shields
    rick mccollum
    van halen
    slash
    bob mould
    nick drake

SG
    Participant
    "latino_keno" wrote:
    rick mccollum

Yeah!from the Afghan Whigs,love his slide playing :D

tom
    Participant

When I first started taking guitar lessons about 10 years ago, I brought some Dino/J songs in to my guitar teacher. My guitar teachers favorite player was Randy Rhoads, and he was really more into your technical guitar players. My teacher could hear songs by your Malmsteens, Van Halens, Eric Johnsons, Rhoads, and Nuno bettencourts, and play them or tab it right away.
    When he would tab out my Dinosaur stuff for me, it would give him someproblems. He had trouble figuring out the song structure and where the song was going. It was never J’s playing that gave him any trouble. It was really the early stuff that would this was an issue with, as the Dinosaur jr and Fog albums have become a little more structured. Even though J’s playing has gotten better technically, the songs seem to be a little less unpredictable.

J is my favorite. Always is, always will be. He is so damn melodic.
    I do think Hendrix is the best though. The stuff he was doing in the 60’s had to seem out of this world at the time. Machine Gun is such a wickedly cool guitar song.
    An underrated guitar player that blows my mind is Jim Thomas of The Mermen. The surf genre has some great guitar plyers, but Jim Thomas is out of this world. He strings his guitar with bass strings and…I cant even adequetly describe how insanely good the guy is on guitar. He has to be heard.
    Mike Randle, who plays for Arthur Lee right now is great too.
    I really like John frusciantes playing a lot.
    Love the Built to Spill guitar sound as well, but I never really know who is playing what, and where the credit should go.
    Leslie West from Mountain was solid.

Tom

latino_keno
    Participant
    "SG" wrote:

Yeah!from the Afghan Whigs,love his slide playing :D

alot of the whigs later stuff is so good, with all the jazz and blues influences its hard to go wrong

stanner
    Participant
    "Tom" wrote:
    J is my favorite. Always is, always will be. He is so damn melodic.
    I do think Hendrix is the best though. The stuff he was doing in the 60’s had to seem out of this world at the time. Machine Gun is such a wickedly cool guitar song.
    An underrated guitar player that blows my mind is Jim Thomas of The Mermen. The surf genre has some great guitar plyers, but Jim Thomas is out of this world. He strings his guitar with bass strings and…I cant even adequetly describe how insanely good the guy is on guitar. He has to be heard.
    Tom

WOW! never thought i would see <MERMEN> mentioned here :mrgreen:
    I roadied that band for 5 years-loaded in and loaded out setup and broke down more than a hundred shows or so…my back hurts w/ all them big ass cabinets…
    anyway JimThomas is thee modern day electric/electronic guitarrorist…
    i know his setup inside and out and its a nitemare of convoluted ins/outs and splitters…i love it all.
    anyway nice to see JIMI, Jim and J all in the same sentence; its a real tossup for gorgeous over the top electric guitar playin…so glad to see <MERMEN> mentioned…
    keep rockin
    stan
    8)

tom
    Participant

Stanner,
    I always thought it was a little strange that my three favorite guitar (J, Jimi, And Jim) players all have a name that begins with the letter J. John Frusciante is my number 4, so I must have some strange obsession with the letter J.
    Good te see another Mermen fan on the boards.
    Take care,
    Tom

p.s.
    Frank Zappa and Michael Hedges are two more incredible guitar player.

SG
    Participant

I should add John Fahey to my list.Man,what an incredible guitarist.He died a few years ago.He was able to mix blues and bluegrass and folk and throw some jazz and classical in there.Check out mid `60s albums like Days Have Gone By and The Yellow Princess(you can get all of The Yellow Princess on the Best Of Vanguard Years collection with a few tracks from another album)

crazycloud
    Participant

yeah J has always been one of my favorites but I think you would have to group the greatest into the styles they play….
    like Django wouldnt be comparable to Jimi Hendrix
    two completely different styles but my favorites would be
    J Mascis
    Django Reinhardt
    J. Garcia
    Dave Murray from Iron Maiden
    David Gilmore
    Greg Ginn
    Kerry King
    Josh Homme
    Kim Thayll
    jon spencer

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.