Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Is my trusty PC dying?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bucky Ramone
    Participant

When I start up my old Dell PC at home (5 years old, still running Windows 95) it starts doing things on it’s hard disk (the light is on continuously, and it sounds like it’s doing something on the disk) and the rest of the system is in a state of near-coma (average response time to a mouse-click is about 30 seconds to 1 minute :? :oops: ). There is about 40% free space on that HD, and whatever it is doing, it isn’t writing anything to that disk…. :roll:

Anybody any suggestions? :roll: :?

Robert
    Participant

What about:
    Norton DiskDoctor?
    Defragmenting the hard drive.
    Is it hooked up to this world wide web I’ve been hearing so much about? If so, have you used all the little programs like spy bot etc?

AGAP
    Participant

Hope you can revive it, another program to deal with spyware is adaware :aliensmile:

Good luck :!:

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Well, tomorrow one of the technical guys of our company is going to take a look, in the meantime it’s just functioning as a cd-player (the only thing it does normally :roll: :twisted: ), and I’m using my laptop as a way to keep in touch with the world….. :lol:

rambleon
    Participant

how did it go ?

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hopefully not the "click of death"?! (the clicking sounds, shortly before a hd is dying). hope you have a backup, just in case :?

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "rambleon" wrote:
    how did it go ?

Don’t know, it is now in the loving :?: :roll: care of our tried and trusted technical people :lol: (who probably think something like: "what kind of museum piece is this" and "Jesus, it’s harddisk is smaller than the average modern-day memory" :lol: :P )

"Flying Cloud" wrote:
    hope you have a backup, just in case

….if there is one thing I have learned in all those years in the computing business, that’s the importance of a good backup…. :lol: :wink:

rambleon
    Participant

i am now sending good thoughts to your computer :aliensmile: :aliensmile: … hope it all works out ok …

FlyingCloud
    Participant

…or maybe it’s just time for a new machine that stands the challenges of today? :wink: :idea: :D

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Flying Cloud" wrote:
    …or maybe it’s just time for a new machine that stands the challenges of today? :wink: :idea: :D

Well, I just started looking for a system that can stand the challenges of at least the next couple of years….the only problem is that the moment you buy a new state-of-the-art system it’s nearly obsolete :roll: :twisted: :wink:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

those systems with future qualities tend to cost a fortune :roll:

Robert
    Participant

How about building one yourself? Then you can choose the components you like + upgrade it when it’s needed.

rambleon
    Participant

sounds like you’ve been there, done that …

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    How about building one yourself?

dB and building a computer himself…. :lol: :roll: :P , don’t want to know how that would look (…and what it would [or more probably would not] do….. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

The most complicated thing den Buck has ever built in his life looked something like this:
    [img]http://www.bartsmit.com/assets/300×300/0114328.jpg[/img]

:twisted:

Robert
    Participant
    "Bucky Ramone" wrote:
    "Robert" wrote:
    How about building one yourself?

dB and building a computer himself…. :lol: :roll: :P , don’t want to know how that would look (…and what it would [or more probably would not] do….. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

The most complicated thing den Buck has ever built in his life looked something like this:
    [img]http://www.bartsmit.com/assets/300×300/0114328.jpg[/img]

:twisted:

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.