Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Introducing new people to Dinosaur Jr

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

expect nothing
    Participant

Hiya i’m making a mix for my boyfriend, and i was wanting suggestions for good songs to include as an opening to the wonderful world that is Dinosaur Jr :)

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey expect nothing, very good plan to try and show some nice people how great Dinosaur Jr were, and to hopefully convert them :aliensmile:

I once made a Dino mix to give it to a friend, and it worked quite good, but of course it’s very much a matter of taste, too…

I tried to pick those Dinosaur Jr songs which fall immediately into the ears. I love songs like ‘Water’ very much, but they grow the more you listen to them and are therefore not that good for a conversion… (or just take ‘Ear Bleeding Country’, instead :P)

This was my Dino Mix:

2. Repulsion
    3. In a Jar
    4. Show me the way
    5. FreakScene
    6. Let it Ride
    7. How’d you pin that one on me
    8. Thumb
    9. Out there
    10. Drawerings
    11. Feel the pain
    12. Get out of this
    13. Over your shoulder
    14. I don’t think
    15. Nothin’s going on
    16. Loaded

expect nothing
    Participant

thanks very much – ive gave him all the albums and some shows and J acoustic stuff and he seems impressed , but thought a mix would give a good variety without all the albums at once to ease him in :)

Aatos
    Participant

You can’t be sure if he really is impressed of the music, he might just like you so much that he says he like the music… :wink:

simmons
    Participant

most people need time to let the music soak in their minds. and whatever songs you give him, "taste is like ass " so don’t be desperate in your effort.

expect nothing
    Participant
    "Aatos" wrote:
    You can’t be sure if he really is impressed of the music, he might just like you so much that he says he like the music… :wink:

hmmmm … not sure baout that we’ve been going out for 3 years .. and he introduced me to Nirvana – which is how i got into dinosaur jr – it just took him a bit longer to appreciate the dinosaur jr music :)

Aatos
    Participant

aah, Ok!

jcows
    Participant

tell him about the fact that Kurt asked J to play drums for Nirvana. Introductions to new bands are tricky, I’m glad to see that you’re researching first. associations to other things one finds favorable is a great way to introduce them to new things you hope they will find favorable. psychobabble. good luck! also, give him a username and password to freakscene.net! let him see how cool and supportive all the fans are. and that we r WORLDWIDE! -jimi

p.s. i’ve gotten friends in to bands by going for road trips, turning the player all the way up, and screeming my head off along with the disc. that seems to work most of the time. they r forced to listen and at least enjoy your enjoyment that way. : )

expect nothing
    Participant

thanks everyone :D – he’s registered at freesofree.net (johno) but i dont think he is here. :)

AGAP
    Participant

I think he’s here now 8) Congrats on the conversion :!:

Had an unsuccessful disappointing conversion attempt last evening :| I played Free So Free, the guy said it sounded like Soul Asylum… :shock: :slap: :shock: :roll: :!:

expect nothing
    Participant

:shock: terrriiible – this conversion was easy really :) , he has a good taste in music and respects genuine talent :)

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Valentine Frankenstein" wrote:
    Had an unsuccessful disappointing conversion attempt last evening :| I played Free So Free, the guy said it sounded like Soul Asylum… :shock: :slap: :shock: :roll: :!:

SOUL ASYLUM??? :oops: :evil:

…..I guess you left in a state of shock after that…. :mrgreen:

(or did a second conversion attempt with Sugar’s Beaster :twisted: :!: )

monkeysnail
    Participant

"bobbin" does seem to have a soul asylum feel to it, not that thats a bad thing.

AGAP
    Participant
    "monkeysnail" wrote:
    "bobbin" does seem to have a soul asylum feel to it, not that thats a bad thing.

I don’t think so :wink:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.