Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Dinosaur/J News & Discussions › If you can’t stand silly questions – skip this one…
- This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 22 years, 8 months ago by OriginalPosterLost.
August 22, 2000 at 11:27 pm #42825
Somebody on Scour SX turned me onto freakscene.net – and what a totally cool discovery it indeed is.
Now I’ve been a huge D. Jr fan longer than I’d care to admit – but I’ve got one nagging question: How do you pronounce J.’s last name???
Is it mass-kiss? maybe mass-eez, or like mash-iz (as in Machismo? Ha-ha)
Confused in Milwaukee
"A faith like a guillotine, as heavy, as light." — F.K.August 24, 2000 at 12:53 am #52438
Hey, where did that "faith like guillotine" quote come from? In Nashville in 1987, a band called "Faith Like Guillotine" opened for Dino at the Exit/In. I still have the promo poster on my wall from that show, but never knew the source of that band’s name
"Mascis," by the way, is shortened from the Sicilian interpretation "Massacista," which, in turn, derives more fully from the Latin "Imamassacista." Check the Unabridged Oxford for correct U.S. pronunciation.
August 25, 2000 at 1:17 am #52439
All right JC, that quote, which is sometimes translated as:A belief is like a guillotine, just as heavy, just as light. was ripped from the pages of <u>The Basic Kafka</u> — I highly recommend picking up a copy of it @ Yr. next visit to the old used book store (or alternatively shoplift one the next time Yr. @ Barnes&Noble).
Thanks for your answer. Having been stationed in Naples for a couple of years, I faintly remember that, in italian, a ‘c’ before an ‘i’ makes the ‘ch’ sound. And the farther south you go in Italy, the ‘ch’ sound becomes more like the ‘sh’ sound (not entirely dissimilar to our own south’s drawl). Blah, blah, blah, anyway…
So it’s pronounced Mashiz?
"A faith like a guillotine, as heavy, as light." — F.K.September 12, 2000 at 2:07 am #52440
For the definitive answer… turn to the man himself. After the first song of his concert in London (http://nme.com/webcasts”>http://nme.com/webcasts), he talks about his new album coming out – "J Mascis and the Fog", and he pronounces his last name as "Mass-kiss".
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and
been widely regarded as a bad move."
– Douglas AdamsSeptember 19, 2000 at 11:28 pm #52441
Thanks Jasper man! I will have to check it out.
"A faith like a guillotine, as heavy, as light." — F.K.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)