Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic I just bought…

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    SG
    Participant

It`s morning here so I read your post wrong,I read things wrong here occassionally,hope you like what I suggested when you get a chance.
    Gonna look for that new Mercury Rev soon.

SG
    Participant

I just bought Silkworm-Firewater,I mentioned it yesterday in the cd wishlist thread,glad to finally get it.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Back from Amsterdam for the weekend…
    A very nice album I’ve bought there:

AM/FM – Mutilate us
    It was playing when I entered the record store, and I bought it immediately, sounds a little like Guided by Voices meets Pavement, great songs (and a very nice cover of ‘Disney Girls’ from the Beach Boys!)

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

most recent purchases have been…Earthspan by the Incredible String Band – it is simply wonderful.

and Rush by Rush – vocal acrobatics a go go…Led Zeppelin wannabe’s – still rockin’ though.

got another Incredible String band Album entitled – Liquid Acrobat as Regards the Air – this now where near as consistent and a bit Irish Jiggy for my tastes.

also of note is the Ray Barbee Mini LP – Triumphant Procession – which is great if you like Sea and the Cake stuff without Sam Prekop’s (Robert Smithesque) vocals – on Galaxia rekkids…who also gave us the incredible Papa M sings Mini lp too…

see ya!

SG
    Participant

The Incredeble String Band was cool,I have one of their albums.
    I`m canadian so I know Rush,Zeppelinish yep,I guy who I bought some jazz records from was heavily into rush,I think he has everything,the only album I had was Caress Of Steel.
    Sam Prekop was in Shrimpboat,I have`nt heard that band,Chicago in the 80`s was cool-Big Black,Naked Raygun,11th Dream Day,etc.

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

I didn’t know Prekop was elsewhere..b4 Sea and Cake…I’ll try and check out…I have one 11th dream day LP that i don’t really like…though Doug McCombs is the man…Tortoise-stylee!!!!

SG
    Participant

Hey Adam
    What 11th Dream Day album is it?I know alot of people don`t like them,but I do,some of their more recent stuff is different then earlier stuff.

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

I think it must be their first album…it’s self titled…the last track "cascade" is good..

see ya

gotta go sink some ales..

adam

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Just bought the new eels album ‘Souljacker’, much darker and more rock than his last one. John Parish (of PJ Harvey and Sparklehorse fame) is doing a lot (playing/writing/producing) on this one, and you can hear it!

Fun to see my old heroes Rush mentioned here, loved them when I was a lot younger.

Some musical trivia: Pavement once mentioned Geddy Lee in one of their songs:

what about the voice of geddy lee
    how did it get so high?
    i wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
    (i know him and he does!)

Simple question: name the song!

maxini
    Participant

Oh, a trivia question, I like it [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

That’d be Stereo off of Brighten the corners.

So, what’s my prize? [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Weird that I should get this one today but VG just bought me Pushing Scandinavian Rock To The Man! [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] Just gave it to me about half hour ago, tons of cool songs…Hellacopters Misanthropic High, Turbonegro doing Suffragette City , Flaming Sideburns…Crashing Down and more than a few other cool bands!!!

Odd though [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison
    ps Hellacopters do a version of I Got A Right on this as well…pretty cool but I have an Iggy cd single where he does 5 versions of that song..hard to beat that [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxini:
    <STRONG>
    That’d be Stereo off of Brighten the corners.

So, what’s my prize? [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s the right answer! I forgot to mention in my original post that Geddy Lee is the bass-player/singer of Rush.
    How about a complete translation of a very long Belgian interview with J. and Mike Watt as a prize? [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

maxini
    Participant

Well den buck, I was more thinking in terms of a brand new car or something, but I guess that translation will have to do [img]images/smiles/converted/redface.gif[/img] (j/k, I’ll not hold you to that translation thing)

And Allison, that Hellacopter business is indeed getting odd [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] Speaking of odd, are you seriously referring to Turbonegro as a cool band? [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] I always thought of their music as sorta a bad joke, not to mention the name of the band [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] , the song titles and lyrics [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] Haven’t checked them out in years though, so I guess they could have, well, matured on all sorts of levels, though I kinda find that hard to believe unless they changed all band members. [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] Hmm, just sayin that I doubt that I’ll buy myself a Turbonegro tshirt just yet [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Maxini,

Only have heard the one song by Turbonegro and that was a cover of Bowie so my opinion is just of that version of Suffragette City…which sounded pretty cool to me. Not sure about the rest of what they do, don’t know anything more about them.

The cover of that Pushing Scandinavian thing is a bit much for me [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] so flipped it inside out.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

definitely odd that Hellacopters deal [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

Allison, -Voodo Guy for president! Pushing Scandinavian Rock To The Man is great [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] Now you just have to make a subtle hint that there’s a vol. 2, so you have something more to look forward to [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

Maxini, if the only Turbonegro(Turboneger) album you’ve heard is Ass Cobra -I understand your scepticism. Apocalypse Dudes is by far their best album, I can almost say for sure it’ll be worth you skr.150.

As for pave trivia;
    I got a lot of things to do
    A lot of places to go
    I’ve got a lot of good things coming my way
    And I’m afraid to say that you’re not one of them.
    The song and album is of course?

<FONT>[ September 23, 2001 08:56 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by Robert ]</font>

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.