Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic I just bought…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

den buck-Varnaline are great,I have their"Sweet Life" album,They used to have another band going at the same time as Varnaline called Space Needle,which was main guy Anders Parker and drummer Jud,who used to play in a Dino Jr. type band called Scarce.
    Jud left Varnaline a few years ago so I think Space Needle is broken up.
    The new Mercury Rev album should be cool.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I finally got my Waistin disc in the mail….great to hear those tunes coming out of the stereo…really really loud!!! Well worth the wait [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also got the cutest little popeye porcelin figurines from france…picked em up off ebay. Ten of them, don’t know what I’ll do with them but WOW they are pretty sweet.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]

Cloud9
    Participant

I Bought Some More Fine Tunes 2Day:

Gore Slut – Girl + Turtles

Great Album with A Tribute 2 J Mascis called "Freak" Great Track & A Great Album

& I Bought Some Sonic Youth Albums:
    * Goo
    * Dirty
    * Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Funnily enough I bought Sonic Youths Dirty today as well, as one of the records seems to have disappeared when I recently moved from Berlin to Hamburg. Got it now on CD of course, yet the irritating detail is, that the record that got lost was the one with the vinyl bonus track on it. Oh, just my luck. But Stalker was never one of my favourites. Guess we have to be grateful for small mercies.
    I also got my hands on the new Compilation from the Düsseldorfer Unique Club (you simply have to go there, if you are anywhere near) aptly titled New Testament of Funk 2001. Not quite as good as NTOF 2000 but coming close. Probably a grower. It´s mostly clubtunes with references to Mambo, Boogaloo, Soul, Funk, Bossa Nova, stuff like that, but always a bit tongue in cheek and still so groovy. Well, I don´t know most of the artists featured on there and since most of them are at least partly German, I wont bore you with the details. However, should you ever come across the New Testament Of Funk series I urge you to give it a listen. And you can virtually visit the club on http://www.unique-club.de.
    The third CD I bought was 3rd perspective from United Future Generation (from 96) a Japanese threesome, who mix Jazz, Filmmusic, Bossa Nova (again, I´m afraid), Space Age Bachelor Pad music with a modern beat. Dance away. I reckon 3rd Perspective is their best CD, so if that sounds good to you give it a listen. Really uplifting.
    So great to have time again to do a bit of recordshopping and surf the internet.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ August 18, 2001 05:25 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey Dimpf, welcome here in Hamburg [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]
    The weather is lousy most of the time [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img] but well, what can you do …

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Well, as long as you got sunshine in your heart, everything is just fine.
    A little philosophy here for all of you.
    Hope you appreciate it.
    gruss
    d

FlyingCloud
    Participant

well, I’m happy, don’t worry. [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Just came back from the music store and bought:
    The Hellacopters-Disapointment Blues
    thanks to Allison and Robert for suggesting this.
    Sounds great!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Salamiguy,

Hope you like it, I absoluely love it and Robert…I think he has 2 of them. They do that sonics Rendevous song pretty cool…Heaven.
    Not sold on the Motorhead cover but they do 45SD by Radio Birdman justice!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I just bought today:

Chitlin’ Fooks: great new project of Carol van Dijk (Bettie Serveert) and Pascal Deweze (from the Belgian band Metal Molly), great country songs in the best Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris tradition (they cover Parsons’ ‘Juanita’)
    Simian – Chemistry is what we are
    They are from England, they sound like the Beach Boys crashing into Pink Floyd, strange album, could be one of the albums of the year, could also be one of those "Was I drunk when I bought this one?"-albums, don’t know yet…….

SG
    Participant

den buck-I`ll have to check out Chitlin fooks,I heard about them on the Bettie Serveert web site,I love Carol`s voice,my mother likes Bettie Serveert too!
    Bettie Serveert is one of my fav bands,"Private Suit" from last year was one of my fav albums next to J`s More Light,Buckner`s The Hill,Sleater Kinney`s All hands On The Bad One,Yo La Tengo`s And Then Nothing…,and Rock A Teens `s Sweet Bird Of Youth;I know it`s late in the year to talk about last year but I thought I`d mention them.
    This Year so far it looks like Red House Painters`s Old Ramon,Lucinda Williams `s Essence,Low`s Things We Lost In The Fire seem to be leading on my list of best of 2001.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I saw Bettie Serveert at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, the end of last year, with Evan Dando (solo, and amazing as well) as supporting act (Carol and Peter joined Evan for a couple of songs). It was an amazing gig, I think I must have seen them about 15 times now, I liked the Private Suit album as well, though it didn’t make my top three of last year (number 1 was Ryan Adams with his ‘Heartbreaker’ album, J. was number 2, Yo La Tengo were third…). This year (up until now) Alejandro Escovedo’s ‘A man under the infuence’ is my number one, Steve Wynn is second with ‘Here come the miracles’, but I expect that everything will change with the new Mercury Rev album. Strangely, I don’t like the new Lucinda Williams album that much, probably been expecting too much of it… (although ‘Bus to Baton Rouge’ is one of the most beautiful songs of the year)

SG
    Participant

It`s strange how are tastes can be similar at times,different at other times.I don`t like the Alejandro Escovedo album,bought it in april,I like a few tunes but overall it does`nt do much for me.
    Too bad you don`t like the Lucinda album,it`s different then her other records,I think maybe someone gave her a Low album and decided to go for a slow and sad folk/country album.It problably turned off alot of fans that would rather her more upbeat tunes.
    Still never heard that Ryan Adams album,have to check it out,I heard that it`s really good.
    Have you ever listened to the Handsome Family,if not there`s 8 songs at epitonic.com in the folk/acoustic section.check out "So Much Wine","Arlene",and "Drunk By Noon" especially.They`re from Chicago,the guy who sings and plays guitar is from Texas originally though.Jeff Tweedy guested on one of their records.Jebus,if you too have`nt heard them yet,check out those mp3`s I mentioned,hope you checked out Buckner.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Strange indeed how tastes can be somehow similar and different at the same time. When I was hearing the new Lucinda Williams album I was thinking "Bonnie Raitt" and not "Low" (great album, "Things we lost in a fire", outstanding track "Dinosaur Act"….), but I’m taking the LW cd with me on my upcoming Switzerland-holiday, and I will give it a second chance….
    Currently listening to Townes van Zandt "Live at McCabe’s", recorded at a guitar-shop in LA in 1995, excellent gig, TVZ telling great stories, laughing, making a mess of the songs, but everyone’s enjoying themselves in a big way (and he sounds like he’s sober….)

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Two fine new albums:

A Camp

Nina Persson (Cardigans) teaming up with Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), a nice album, kind of "Sparklehorse light", two surprising covers: "Walking the Cow" (Daniel Johnston) and "Rock’n’Roll Ghost" (Paul Westerberg/ Replacements)

Neko Case – Canadian Amp

All kinds of covers here, from Neil Young ("Dreaming Man"), via Hank Williams ("Alone and Forsaken") to Sook Yin Lee ("Knock Loud", great song, does anyone know anything about Sook Yin Lee?). I think salamiguy might like this one….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.