Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic I just bought…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
  • Author

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

To get back to the topic again:

I just bought….

The White Stripes – White blood cells
    Brother (guitar) and sister (drums) make minimalist rock&roll with some great pop songs inbetween, excellent stuff!!!! (sometimes it even sounds a little like Jon Spencer!)

American Analog Set – Know by heart
    Nice album, somehow reminds me of Yo la Tengo and the Feelies (there is even an instrumental that sounds a lot like Neu! or Kraftwerk with guitars), in a couple of weeks time they ar playing in Amsterdam, I will be there!

Ryan Adams – Gold
    One of the biggest talents around at the moment, his last album ‘Hearbreaker’ was quite sad, this one is more optimistic, while Neil Young just managed 1 or 2 decent songs on each of his latest cd’s, Ryan Adams manages to have 20 great songs on this one! He will be in Amsterdam (and touring Europe) as well in October, and I will be there as well!

maxini
    Participant

diskaholics anonymous trio – a live recording of thurston moore, jim o’rourke and the swedish tenor sax player mats gustafsson’s performance at the Kulturbro jazz festival in Ystad, Sweden last fall. Wicked.

Buzzcocks – singles going steady. Maximum ass hits, nuff said.

humble joe
    Participant

Hey folks,
    Yesterday I got:

Green Mind (what do you think?)
    Arthur- The Kinks
    Transformer- Lou Reed
    The Specials- The Specials

Good to be back!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I was out looking for the new Modest Mouse that Spaceboy/Freak talked about awhile back, supposed to be out Sept 25…no sign of it yet. But did pick up a single by Modest Mouse…764-hero…very cool. Couple mixes of the song, I prefer the original, the dj mix is sorta ok but the scientific mix [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

I know I should stop the trivia thing so I`ll give the answer;a guy in 764 Hero also plays in Red Stars Theory with the drummer from Modest Mouse,and used to play in Lync;who else was in Lync?Sam from Love As Laughter.
    I`m looking out for that new Modest Mouse ep,if I see it I`ll mention it here,I have`nt seen it yet either.

SG
    Participant

Some good stuff there;I`ve been looking for that White Stripes album;it`s not around here yet.American Analog Set are good,Ryan Adams I`ll have to check out someday,I heard one song from him before on a Bloodshot comp.
    I still have`nt bought Lou Reed`s Transformer yet;Nige-if you have`nt checked out the Velvet Underground yet,do so;the first album with Nico is a good place to start.

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

well heads…went looking for the new Mascis album today…unsuccessful but made some other great finds
    1)Dino Jr.-I Don’t Think So-incredible! 10 minute So What Else Is New and 8 and half minute Sludgefeast…I’m blown away…something about J’s live stuff, it just rocks…if you can find it, grab it
    2)Ciccone Youth-The Whitey Album-Sonic rocks,can’t wait to listen to it…excellent writing by none only then the Wattster himself as well as a great pic of J wearing rainbow tobagan inside the cover…both made contributions to the album…line by Kim Gordon-"so…you wanta fuck me?"…man I love how raw they are, that primal nature they bring out…
    3)Yo La Tengo- Electr-O-Pura- recently gotten into them on advice from the boards…really like it…reminds me of My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver…all excellent but don’t seem to have the heavy, speedmetal-like solos that I love so much in J…
    4) Son Volt- have heard many pros and cons for Son Volt so I can’t wait to hear it and decide…

<FONT>[ October 02, 2001 01:41 PM: 1 kurticus7 ]</font>

SG
    Participant

What Son Volt album is it?they`re all cool but Trace is the best;Farrar is a brilliant songwriter,anyone who likes Neil Young would dig them and their twangy sound;if you do like them check out Richard Buckner.
    Yo La Tengo are great,Electroapura was the first album I bought by them,Tom Courtney,Straight Down To The Bitter End,Pablo And Andrea-wicked tunes,and Blue Line Swinger is mind blowing(love the bop ba da`s at the end!)
    The Whitey Album has some good stuff but it`s not consistent but check out the song that Kim calls J(J plays a cool solo over an old 80`s pop song that I don`t remember who it is)their cover of Into The Groove is awesome,love how Thurston sings it and how they sample Madonna.

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

son volt-trace…the song is Addicted To Love but I can’t remember who sings it-that J solo rocks

SG
    Participant

No,I mean that song called two chicks listening to Neu.
    Addicted To Love was done by Robert Palmer originally.

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

yeah yeah…i know which solo your talking about but I have no idea what song that is…anyone else with the Whitey Album know?
    your right…this son volt is the shiznit!

<FONT>[ October 02, 2001 03:23 PM: 1 kurticus7 ]</font>

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Today I bought:

Dino Jr. – Ear Splittin Country
    Garbage – Beautiful Garbage
    Oysterhead – The Grand Pecking Order
    Bush – Speed Kills [Promo]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

hey is the new J tight or what? can’t find it here yet [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]
    love the sig…dated and everything [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

oh yeah…I almost forgot…mad props to salamiguy for starting truly one of the longest lasting/ most replied to threads here…

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Yeah, it’s tight alright.

Perhaps one of the admins should lock this thread and start a part two… it’s getting a bit "long in the teeth" as MAtt would say…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.