Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic I Just Bought 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

I posted this yesterday before the aliens stole our posts to take back to Planet X.
    Bought The Cramps-Bad Music For Bad People yesterday,cool compilation of singles.I hardly ever see any Cramps albums around here so it was good to see.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

New sounds of the west volume 3

A nice compilation of ‘Americana’ on the ‘Loose’ label, with a lot of unreleased, exclusive tracks, track-listing:

1. Grandaddy – Best Of All Possible Worlds
    2. Wiskey Biscuit – Jaybird
    3. Evan Dando – Won’t You Sometimes Think Of Me
    4. Mark Eitzel – Seeing Eye Dog
    5. Goldrush – Best Intentions
    6. Knife In The Water – Bayonet
    7. Bright Eyes – A Perfect Sonnet
    8. Sparklehorse – Galveston
    9. The Handsome Family – Banks Of The Ohio
    10. NoahJohn – First Communion
    11. Beachwood Sparks – When I Stop Dreaming
    12. The Shallows – Keeping Tallahassee Green
    13. Vera Cruise – Wasted Sounds
    14. M.Ward – Beautiful Car
    15. Hayden – Steps Into Miles
    16. Giant Sand – Shiver (remix)
    17. Radar Brothers – Rock Of The Lake
    18. Adam Snyder – Actress In An Airport
    20. Cowboy Junkies – Misguided Angel (live)

SG
    Participant

YLT`s And Then Nothing… is a great album,slow mostly,but that`s the kind of stuff that seems to be coming out these days,most of my fav albums from this year are mostly slow stuff-Red House Painters,Low,Sparklehorse,Hope Sandoval,etc.
    Cherry Chapstick reminds me of Sonic Youth,that`s problably who they were thinking of,there`s no bass in that song,Georgia plays guitar on it,James plays drums.

SG
    Participant

Hey den buck
    Is Sparklehorse`s Galveston the Glen Campbell tune?

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

<blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Salamiguy:
    <strong>Hey den buck
    Is Sparklehorse`s Galveston the Glen Campbell tune?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, it is, although it’s written by Jimmy Webb.

Grandaddy is doing a Kris Kristofferson song and Evan Dando is singing a Hank Williams song (accompanied by a didgeridoo!!!)

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

<blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Salamiguy:
    <strong>Cherry Chapstick reminds me of Sonic Youth,that`s problably who they were thinking of,there`s no bass in that song,Georgia plays guitar on it,James plays drums.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that’s the one song on the album i don’t like. in fact, one of the few in their whole catalog i don’t like. to me, it just sounds like they are trying to sound like they used to, back in the president/new wave hot dogs days. usually when i listen to it, by the time i get annoyed and want to skip the track, the song is over. didn’t know about the georgia/james switch there…that’s cool.

Halfman
    Participant

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

good, now that is out of the way (figure I would help provide token annoyance since the plantar’s wart union is behind the picket line)

I bought the Strokes "Is This it". My curiosity got the better of me and am glad for it.

Sugar "File Under: Easy Listening" and The Posies "Frosting on the Beater" were found in the used bin at my best possible local record shop. Am very satsified with them both. No need to get too flowery, since other threads accomplish that just fine. First experience with Sugar at length and ditto for the Posies.

Some mailguy (illogical santa) brought me a couple of discs, think they are called "Where You Been" (welcome back dear) and "More Light" (another mouth to feed). Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

supersuckers-la mand cornuda
    yo la tengo-and then nothing turned itself inside out
    pink floyd-works

yo la tengo-electr-o-pura-my roommate keeps asking who this is whenever it’s on…so now he has a copy [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

turnipfarmer
    Participant

Modest Mouse – The Lonesome Crowded West
    Modest Mouse – The Moon & Antarctica
    The Cure – Cut here MCD
    Melrose Place Soundtrack (DinoJr’s "Blah" on it)
    Element Of Crime – Romantik
    Cowboy Junkies – Open
    Slowdive – Blue Day

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Seems we have another Modest Mouse fan here… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Lonesome Crowded West is one of my fav’s by them, tons of cool songs, Truckers Atlas is amazing. There are some playlists of MM songs in the my mix forum, you would probably enjoy those.

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Another Girl Another Planet ]</p>

turnipfarmer
    Participant

hey Allison,

you’re right. with buying those two records MM have easily made it into the top 5 of my current favourite bands. "Lonesome Crowded West" is such a great album, loads of cool songs. my fav song is "3rd Planet", changing regularly though. many thanks to all those who have recommended MM! downloaded all the concerts from the Crystal Night server, can’t stop listening to. dig the track lists in the mix forum as well…

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ammaringnyc
    Participant

new Soundtrack of our lives LP
    Jim O’Rourke
    Eels Souljacker rocks like a monkey

discuss…..

AGAP
    Participant

Definitely a small world, just listened to some soundtrack of our lives thru audio galaxy, planning on picking it up in the new year, definitely a cool thing. Also heard the new Nick Royale (Hellacopters guy) single…very cool songs…Burt Ward Law & Not Right…WOW WOW WOW. Doubt I can find that single though, limited edition and all:sad:

Still waiting to receive Sparklehorse Distorted Ghost ep…said I would receive it by Dec 15…not [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Jim O`Rourke is way cool,I have 2 Gastr Del Sol albums,deffinitely dig his music.Soundtrack Of Our Lives I`ve been checking out at AG too,good band.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Just bought:

v/a – Acuarela Songs

It’s on the Spanish label Acuarela Records, it’s a double cd and it features – mostly- previously unreleased and exclusive tracks by the following artists:

Mark Eitzel, Nacho Vegas, Tara Jane O´Neil, Viva las Vegas, Paula Frazer, Aroah, Greg Weeks, Paloma, Dakota Suite, TW Walsh, Sarah White, Howe Gelb, Matt Ward, Amor Belhom Duo, Sodastream, Early Day Miners, The Mountain Goats, The Clientele, For Stars, Emak Bakia, Diana Darby, Doug Hoekstra, Knife in the Water, Magic 12, Norfolk & Western, The Court and Spark, Tracker, Vera Clouzot, Virgil Shaw, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Mojave 3 and Empty House Cooperative.

All the songs somehow include a reference to an ‘acuarela’ (‘aquarelle’ / ‘watercolor’), some great stuff on it!!

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: den buck ]</p>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.