Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions I bet on sky what do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    empire3

I did write a complete review but then when I posted it the site ‘bonked’ me out so that’s gone….. Which is probably a good thing as nobody wants to read me banging on for 500 words…. But I do like reading what other people think 🙂

Obseqio
    Participant

I love it! I think it’s a bit more upbeat than Farm which I like. Easier for me to follow. “Don’t Pretend You Didn’t Know” sets a nice pace for the whole album. I think “Watch the Corners” is the best track on the album, so I’m glad they chose to go with it as their single. Album cruises well and then really picks up at “Pierce the Morning Sky”. I love the lyrics on “Pierce the Morning Sky” and love “Recognition” after that. I think all the songs are great those are just the standouts. Really want to hear those live. I think the guys put together a really nice album over all. They should be really proud of what they’ve done hear. Can’t wait to hear the other singles that are not on the album. Anyone have a link to buy “Black Betty”?

tonas

I listened to the album a few times at work today. This is the first Dinosaur album that is going to have to grow on me, which makes me sad. None of the songs really excite me, although I also think Watch the Corners is the best track. Maybe I’ll hear it differently ones the vinyl arrives. Fingers crossed.

tom
    Participant

I love the album. The only track I don’t like is I know it oh so we’ll. Don’t pretend, pierce the morning rain, and both of lous tracks are my favorites.

Matthoney
    Participant

I think it might be my favorite of the three reunion records. I think J approached this record in a very unique way compared to how he approached past records, especially Farm. Like, I love just about everything J has ever done, but his stuff on Farm felt like he was on autopilot. You can tell me put more thought into the songs on this. So that’s very refreshing, though it’s weird to not hear so much soloing and whatnot.

I’m sure it’ll go down as a least favorite or bottom end record for a lot of people, but I love it and respect it for what it is in the canon.

Matthoney
    Participant

Oh, and a lot of people have pointed out that “See it on Your Side” is practically a rewrite of Turnip Farm, but did anyone notice that “What Was That” uses practically the same riff as Set Us Free?

Obseqio
    Participant

Matthoney are we the same person? I feel the same way about Farm. I’m sure you love songs like “Get Ovet It” and “I Don’t Wanna Go There”, but a few others songs sound a like their on autopilot like you said. Still good though.

I did notice the rewrite of “Turnip Farm” and “Set Us Free”. “Don’t Pretend You Didn’t Know” reminds me of a Cure song called, “From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea” : )

I just like that this album is a lot more upbeat than Farm. Like I said before I can’t wait to get the other unreleased tracks, should be good!

empire3

I really think its a pop album 🙂 – but it’s good for it….. I’m a fan of epic solos (as are 99.7% of you) but we have 9 albums for that.
    I wonder what would have happened if this was released around the time of green mind. Anyway 9 out of 10 pterodactyls.

I said it before, but can’t help but think that Weezer cruise might have had a few tracks written on it .

Javro
    Javro

fully agree with Tonas, nothing really jumping out at me after several listens. Usually there are one or two songs I love immediately, and then two or three others that become favourites after more plays. Feels like this is a release to win new fans and appeal to a wider base than for long term enthusiasts. Still, can’t blame them for wanting success and I’m looking forward to hearing these new songs live. feels like they have a good marketing machine behind them on this release so with a combination of that and a social media tidal wave I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bit more commercial success from this.

Matthoney
    Participant

I disagree Javro. I think if anything, Farm appealed to a much wider group of nonlisteners, and I think it showed with how much press and praise it got. I think this record is much more about J just wanting to do a record he’s happy with. He even said he didn’t write these songs to be played live and to tour for, but rather just something for the studio to make a great record.

Javro
    Javro

interesting opinion Matt. as you mentioned above, See it on your side is practically a Turnip Farm remake, albeit a far more commercially acceptable one. I’m a little biased as Turnip Farm is one of my favourite Dino songs, but I far prefer the “original”. And saying that he didn’t write these songs to tour and play live isn’t the same as saying he didn’t write them to appeal to a wider base. It’s possible to write a great record that sells well. Regardless, do you think he’d come out and say “I wanted to make a record that finally shifted units and led to a pay day” even if that were the case? Everything about this release feels different, the bundles, the buzz and the tracks themselves. Not necessarily worse, just different.

Javro
    Javro

also, there are several moments on this record that really remind me of snippets from J’s Gas, Food and Lodging soundtrack, which for me is a good thing.

tonas

Thats funny everyone likes it a ton, but me. I really dug Farm, while I Don’t Wanna Go There may seem autopiloted, songs like Plans, and Ocean in the Way are epic to me. This album does feel different, I’m on the same page as Javro. It must be our latitudes.

tom
    Participant

I did hear set us free, turnip farm, and gas food lodging too.

To think these guys are almost 50 putting out an album this solid amazes me. I think the songs will be even better live. Stick a toe in would awesome if it were a bit heavier. I think they will do that live. Rock it out a bit. More dynamic. I do think j will stretch the solos out a bit as well which will only make the songs even better

Hybridge
    Participant

Empire2, I’d like to read your thoughts on I Bet on Sky; retype if you have a chance/inclination.

I’d say give it a few more listens (maybe with headphones), Javro and Tonas.

I’m around the 38th parallel and I felt a little sad when I first listened to song clips of the album on amazon but the full songs (even just mp3s played over laptop speakers) are sounding great to me. I love Farm and Beyond, and this album, while not as immediately shattering/shredding as some earlier albums, has a real lot going on. It’s subtle, interesting. I agree with Tom; these songs will sound even better/heavier live.

The bass on Stick a Toe In It knocks me out. Lou’s playing in general on this album sounds really great, as does Murph’s drumming. The lyrics are entirely too much.
    There’s less guitar than I’d expect/desire; what’s there is pretty killer. Not much wah until six songs in and then maximal wah on I Know It Oh So Well–yay.

Don’t Pretend You Didn’t Know is luscious, beautifully recorded. The vocals/harmonies on this album are kind of amazing. The keyboards and Mellotron are ultra pretty, sweet, psychedelic, weirdly emotional.

Speaking of Recognition, I thought it sounded like a Foreigner tune at first but then the song shifts to greatness midway through; London Calling, Rhiannon come to mind a bit; driving, melting goodness.

See It On Your Side is huge and rules.

I, too, bet on sky. Five stars, and a couple of moons 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.