Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic hub or router

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bob
    Participant

Hey, I need a hub or a router.

I have two IP addresses and I have two computer right now that want to be on the internet. I may want to but more on in the future.

I got the impression that since I have 2 IP addresses I can plug 2 computer into the hub and that would be fine but If I put a third in it wouldn’t have a connection.

Is this true or will it still work but split the signal.

Anthony
    Participant

a hub basically connects computers and they share the bandwidth of the hub. if your hub is 100 full duplex, then the ports would split that bandwidth amongst themselves.

a switch is like a hub, but each port has dedicated 100 full duplex.

a router is king in my book, acting like a hub and switch combined. also a router, you only need one IP address on the outside. you can have i think 255 devices on any router, and your isp will only see the IP of the router.

get a wireless router with 4 or 5 port switch… it’s ready to expand when you are. you can plug a switch or hub into one of the router ports, then another switch or hub linked to that one and so on…
    :D

Anthony
    Participant

but yeah, with a hub or switch each device needs an IP address to access the Inet.

bob
    Participant

yeah wireless would be the way to go. Since I have a three story condo but I’m too damn cheap. I’ll look around at prices though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.