Home Forums General Discussions Introductions How ya doin’

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Array
    Participant

Hi, new here. Got into Dinosaur around Bug time while I was at school. Worked my way backwards to You’re Living All Over Me and forward through Green Mind. Saw them live at Reading (1991?) and Rollercoaster Tour around the same time. Followed everything until mysteriously losing track of them around Hand It Over. Then saw them live again 2005 in London and rediscovered it all over again. Having a good time going back through all the ltd editon 10" singles, promos, live sessions etc all over again.

Hi!

essgee09
    Participant

Welcome :D

Bug is my favorite.What other bands do you like?

Array
    Participant

similar stuff..

MBV
    Sonic Youth
    Spacemen 3
    Swervedriver

could be a long list as I like loads from Dub through to some Kate Bush and loads of guitar noise stuff.

essgee09
    Participant

I like those 4 too and Kate Bush! :) Do you like Bardo Pond?

Array
    Participant

Not familiar with Bardo Pond. I did used to have a Bevis Frond album on the b-side of the tape of Bug that I kept in the car. Their name rhymes. Does that count?

Going to look up Bardo Pond.

essgee09
    Participant

Bardo Pond are a modern psychedelic rock band.Think if you could put Black Sabbath and Sonic Youth together and you sorta got their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HY1ywAZ_wE 4HY1ywAZ_wE

Array
    Participant

Listening to them (edits of songs though) on myspace. Sounds great.

other old favourites..

Breeders
    Polvo
    Set Fire To Flames
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Mercury Rev
    Swirlies (some)
    Velvet Underground
    Tall FIrs
    Captain Beefheart
    No-Neck Blues Band
    Arthur Russell

essgee09
    Participant
    "Array" wrote:
    Listening to them (edits of songs though) on myspace. Sounds great.

other old favourites..

Breeders
    Polvo
    Set Fire To Flames
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Mercury Rev
    Swirlies (some)
    Velvet Underground
    Tall FIrs
    Captain Beefheart
    No-Neck Blues Band
    Arthur Russell

Good list.Polvo were a bit underated,Today`s Active Lifestyles was a great record eh?Godspeed are cool.Merc Rev`s Yerself Is Steam is a fave of mine.Swirlies were great(Blonder Tongue Audio Baton!).The VU cool too.Beefheart yeah!I dig the Breeders too.

Array
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    Good list.Polvo were a bit underated,Today`s Active Lifestyles was a great record eh?Godspeed are cool.Merc Rev`s Yerself Is Steam is a fave of mine.Swirlies were great(Blonder Tongue Audio Baton!).The VU cool too.Beefheart yeah!I dig the Breeders too.

Polvo were very underated yes. they did another album later on that wasn’t so good though. Todays Active Lifestlys and Corcrane Secret were both good though. I thought I read about them reforming recently?

Swirlies similar. Started great. First album / EP with Tall ships and Blondertongue were good, then they got a bit tamer and lost it a bit.

Yerself Is Steam is definatley the Mercury Rev Album.

Early Flaming Lips did some amazing stuff too. Especially out-takes, b-sides and radio sessions etc.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Array" wrote:
    Polvo were very underated yes. they did another album later on that wasn’t so good though. Todays Active Lifestlys and Corcrane Secret were both good though. I thought I read about them reforming recently?

Swirlies similar. Started great. First album / EP with Tall ships and Blondertongue were good, then they got a bit tamer and lost it a bit.

Yerself Is Steam is definatley the Mercury Rev Album.

Early Flaming Lips did some amazing stuff too. Especially out-takes, b-sides and radio sessions etc.

Polvo did reunite recently I believe.Cor Crane Secret was a little diffuse compared to Today`s Active.The Celebrate The New Dark Age ep was another fine effort.
    The Swirlies` Glittering Salons album was good.I lost track of them there.Do you like the Drop Nineteens and Lenola?The Drop 19`s were from Boston too so a Swirlies comparison was obvious.Lenola were from New Jersey,they took on a more Flaming Lips sound later on but the early records The Swirlies and MBV were more their thing.
    I have`nt exlpored much early Flaming Lips.

Array
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    Polvo did reunite recently I believe.Cor Crane Secret was a little diffuse compared to Today`s Active.The Celebrate The New Dark Age ep was another fine effort.
    The Swirlies` Glittering Salons album was good.I lost track of them there.Do you like the Drop Nineteens and Lenola?The Drop 19`s were from Boston too so a Swirlies comparison was obvious.Lenola were from New Jersey,they took on a more Flaming Lips sound later on but the early records The Swirlies and MBV were more their thing.
    I have`nt exlpored much early Flaming Lips.

I remember buying Polvo’s "Exploded Drawing" album and being very unimpressed. maybe I should dig it out though and give it another chance.

Drop Nineteens I remember and used to like some of but haven’t heard for years. There was a summer when Winona was on MTV all the time. A bit like the summer where MTV seemed to play Smashing Pumkins every other video. Another band I still like a lot up to a certain point. Liked a couple of tracks after Siamese Dream but not a lot. Gish and Siamese dream were, and still are amazing though. Not a fan of Billy Corgan as a person though.

I’ll look up some Lenola and give them a listen.

essgee09
    Participant

Lenola filmed one video and youtube has it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey_tJ1kn25E ey_tJ1kn25E

The first Lenola album called The Last Ten Feet Of The Suicidal Mile is a good record.Might be hard to find these days.
    i never got into the Pumpkins because of Corgan.His voice for one and his personality too.Maybe I should get over it.
    Polvo got weirder on later records which is`nt always a good thing
    Winona is the best Drop 19`s song.Delaware is a good album.Their cover of Madonna`s Angel is awesome

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.