Home › Forums › Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists › Guitar Room › How to Make a Dinosaur Jr Sound
- This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 20 years, 5 months ago by JP.
October 7, 2002 at 7:43 pm #43385
Hey. I’m a guitar player and I was looking for some suggestions on how to get a setup to sound like J’s. I know you probably need a Jazzmaster but hey, tell me what you use and I’ll try it out.
1) think of "they always come". what’s a good way to get that kind of raw, distorted overdrive sound?
2) how about the chorus of bug where there’s a clangy slightly overdriven sound. any suggestions on getting that sound?
3) how about J’s acoustic?
I don’t care if you know J’s setup or if you have a homemade way to craft the J sound. I look forward to hearing from everybody!October 7, 2002 at 8:17 pm #56087
2) "think of the chorus of bug" < what was i thinking? chorus of budge was what i meant.October 9, 2002 at 8:33 pm #56088
Instant Dinosaur Jr or J Mascis in a box
Don’t know a whole lot about this, but it certainly sounded cool <img>
<small>[ 10-09-2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Valentine Frankenstein ]</small>October 10, 2002 at 8:37 pm #56089
thanks alot valentine frankenstein! i’ll have to find one of those somewhereDecember 31, 2002 at 6:35 am #56090
Hey Alex! Here’s my setup when I’m playin with Cliff Barnes (http://www.cliff-barnes.cjb.net)
Fender Bassman (75W) 4×10 amp from late 70’s + Fender Bassman 100 4×12 cabinet on the other side of the stage —->Univox Pro Verb spring reverb—->Schecter strat w/lots of stickers (mostly cats, frogs, cows + stars)
> Cry Baby wah—>Big Muff (green one)—->Boss Equalizer—>Ibanez Phaser Tone II
>Ibanez Flanger FL-301
I tend to use the amp’s volume maxed so that’s mainly my distortion. Bassman distorts quite nicely. The EQ is for extra volume&distortion. Big Muff I use for solos mainly. Ibanez Flanger is mostly for getting rid of the audience since it can produce unholy noises. Sometimes I use cheap-ass DOD Juice Box for a milder distortion. If you got anything to ask, just mail me!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)