Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions How DOES J play Sludgefeast like that?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    watch4
    Participant

Hey there everyone! I don’t post very often but you can rest assured that I am a huuuuuuuuge Dinosaur Jr. fan. I was just wondering if any of the guitarists had any idea as to how J plays Sludgefeast the way he does it live? I know the tabs to the song and can play it pretty straightforward (not so much the solos though) but I’m mainly curious about how he plays the super fast strumming part near the beginning of the song. I can strum at this speed, it’s difficult but I can do it, however when J plays it live he is literally strumming the entire guitar and does so very aggressively! It looks freakin’ awesome and I’m wondering if anyone knows how this can be pulled off…when I strum single notes at higher speeds I have to glue my hand to the guitar and focus my finger movements very precisely so that I’m only hitting that string and not others. Hah if I try to play that part the way J plays it, it sounds like crap because I’m hitting a bunch of open strings.

Obseqio
    Participant

I may appear that he is strumming open strings, but I’m pretty sure he’s just playing one. No one could hit all open strings like that and make it sound that good. J does have the Big Muff on for this one, so you will need one of those to get the sound close to what he’s playing. Do you have one?

watch4
    Participant

Oh I know he is not strumming the open strings, that’s what is so cool about it. He’s strumming extremely quickly over the entire guitar when really only one string is being played, I don’t understand how one does that. Is he somehow muting every other string but the one he’s playing? And yes I have a Big Muff but it’s from like….2009 or something. It sounds good but we all know the vintage Muffs sound better.

opiv
    Participant

Its not as hard as you may be thinking.

Take your middle finger and place it on the first note, I think its an a flat on the b string, right? Anways put your 2 finger there and over the rest of the strings take your one finger and place it over them. Dont press down, just hold it over the strings to keep them from vibrating. When you strum all the strings on the b string will vibrate and will be the only one you hear

empire3

Off Topic slighty……… I’m a “ok” guitar player but for some reason I struggle with Dinosaur jr………Out There, I can just never get right…..!! I’m ok on things like goin home, But maybe I just need more practice! Or one of those pedals
    (blame the tools ?? 🙂

Obseqio
    Participant

I hear you Empire2, I haven’t quite sat down to figure out “Out There”. It amazes me that J can play all that and sing at the same time. Just keep working on it. J is not the easiest guitarist to imitate. I guess thats part of what makes him so good.

Obseqio
    Participant

Here’s some help for “Out There” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6R8sLCUxbc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.