Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Hollaballabooza 04 Cancelled

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant
    "rambleon" wrote:
    who’s hillary duff ?

Annoying teen pop star who`s selling her "stuff" at Zeller`s :roll:

Annastefka
    Participant

I was going to buy tickets, but hadn’t yet. You know, one thing Perry might have neglected to think about is, alot of us "Lollapalooza kids" have grown up to become "Lollapalooza adults"

Thats right. ELJ. The biggest problem I think.

Hey my quote box didn’t work because I am in hurry. I have to be downtown in one minute, I’ll be late but thats normal.

yeah, i would have gone to that same show as jaron, i actually was going to be out of town that day, so i wasn’t going to go.

i would rather see (say) three to four of those bands play full set seperately at clubs that are 15 minutes from home rather than play an hour to 3 hours away in dreaded maryland. i’m not about to go both days, and i really would not like to take a day off to sit in the sun for 8 hours. i’d love to see pj and modest mouse, but mozer does nothing for me, and i’ve seen bss flaming lips and sonic youth in the last year (although i’d go again). le tigre and the walkmen tour here fairly often, too.

in summation, the people that like those bands, hate those kind of venues.

hey jaron, where are you going to see mm/bss?

tom
    Participant

Everyone is bringing up some great points about the show getting cancelled.

I prefer the smaller venues myself, and find it frustrating buying tickets to large venues. The ticket brokers grab up all the good seats to the large venues. I’ll spend the money if I can get a good seat at a large venue, but theres no way I’m gonna drop money to watch a show on the tv screen.

As far as the pop concerts selling tickets, I think it has more to do with parents taking their 3rd grader to a Hilary Duff/Brittney Spears gig then anything else. I teach, and the little kids are into the pop stuff, but the jr high/high school students seem to be more into classic rock then anything else. Rap is also extremely popular with the 15-19 crowd in the metro Detroit area.

I’ve also noticed that in the last four or five years, the shows in Detroit aren’t like they used to be. I would always see Dinosaur Jr /J in Michigan(where I live), Ohio, and Chicago when he/they would tour. The Detroit crowd used to blow away the other crowds as far as making noise/getting into the show. Detroit isn’t like that anymore. Detroit shows used to rock, and now they are actually kind of embarrassing. Has anyone else seen this trend in the area they live?
    (Cleveland on the other hand, seems to have gotten alot better to see a show in the last few years)

Tom

AGAP
    Participant

Big YES to the do not like the outdoor venue/8hrs in the sun deal :!: Like KoCF I’d love to see some of those bands for a full set in a club, have driven hundreds of miles to see the Flaming Lips a couple times, didn’t even consider checking lollapalooza…even with that great line up :|

Gotta wonder how some of the smaller summer festivals are doing, vans warped touris still out there :? Strange they’d cancel a sold out show, maybe it is the age thing, maybe they need to do club tours versus huge festivals…

Robert
    Participant

I’d actually think that the Warped tour is one of the festivals that’ll pull through, with artists like NOFX, New Found Glory, Bad Religion etc. I think those names might sell more tickets to teenagers vs Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse etc.

rambleon
    Participant
    Quote:
    I’ve also noticed that in the last four or five years, the shows in Detroit aren’t like they used to be. I would always see Dinosaur Jr /J in Michigan(where I live), Ohio, and Chicago when he/they would tour. The Detroit crowd used to blow away the other crowds as far as making noise/getting into the show. Detroit isn’t like that anymore. Detroit shows used to rock, and now they are actually kind of embarrassing. Has anyone else seen this trend in the area they live?
    (Cleveland on the other hand, seems to have gotten alot better to see a show in the last few years)

detroit no longer the rock city ? … hmmm, are the crowds younger + clueless … or maybe older + more mellow ? … that’s a weird thing to happen … the only US show i’ve seen in years was the melvins at the black cat in dc last summer … that was a pretty mellow show, but i figured that was b/c the crowd was pretty sparse that night … :o

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant
    "king of carrot flowers" wrote:
    hey jaron, where are you going to see mm/bss?

Virginia Beach, they’re playing a small ampitheatre (no, really, it’s a small ampitheatre and total GA) show there 8/19 for $20. Also, the next day Sonic Youth/Wolf Eyes is playing The Norva for $25. And since Virginia Beach is about an hour closer to me then Baltimore, it’s all good since those are the three acts (Modest Mouse, BSS, Sonic Youth) I wanted to see most and it’d work out to the same price as a Lolla ticket.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant
    "LittleTroubleGirl" wrote:
    What???????? I wanted to buy a two day pass for Randall Island–and that was SOLD OUT!!! This is NOT POSSIBLE!!! What the HELL is going on??? :( :? :oops: :evil:

Randall’s Island was the only show on the tour that was selling well. It was also the only show on the tour with the Pixies. Draw your own conclusions.

hmmm…sonic youth on a friday

SG
    Participant

There`s a garage band fest…

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=218752″>http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=218752

A beach party with monsters and aliens :mrgreen: :aliensmile:

AGAP
    Participant

That sounds pretty pleasing :!:

hmmm, I have the month of August off… :aliensmile:

malcom
    Participant
    Quote:
    Has anyone else seen this trend in the area they live?

Actually St. Louis is slowly getting a better music scene and a reputation as a cool place to play. Because most shows go to Chicago (including Lollapalloza), we get excited when people come down and play for us.

I’m still bothered by this cancellation, and suspect something else going on. The real problem is Perry Farrell, who probably pissed off the bands in some manner. Otherwise he’s guilty of putting inside bands in outside venues. Fans of this sort of stuff (well, me anyway) consider a presale buying tickets a week before you go.

tom
    Participant

Rambleon,

Detroit hasn’t lived up to the Rock City label lately. The Stooges reunion show was like the good old days though. I was completely blown away by the turnout and enthusiasm of the fans at that show.

Take care,
    Tom

rambleon
    Participant

cool, i’m glad to hear the stooges inspired people … maybe it was an older crowd ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.