Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    empire3

Only interesting really for a few, But kind of a sad day… I worked there for 3 years, about 15 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

essgee09
    Participant

They came here in the late `90s.I assume this means all other than the UK stores will be shut?Record stores have been disappearing over the last few years around here and everywhere else.I agree it`s sad,though the owner of the independent store I go to says they had their best year in 2012 in nearly 30 years of business

empire3

‘Here’ is the USA ? as they also have stores in Asia & Canada.
    I don’t think Canada or Asia will be effected by this, although I could be wrong as I think they are both different companies (although it gets really confusing unknotting that one) A bit like Universal Music and film being different companies but using the same image and branding.

My guess Is 30-50 stores will stay, as will all the online sites, A consortium or entrepreneur(Branson etc) will buy them and change the business model.
    Plus the US stores may stay around for a bit, like Tower Records ?

I could honestly write a paper on this…….
    But It pretty much sums everything up on that BBC report(It’s well written, spot on the money about everything)

And the indies like you say will love it(and good for them)! Just sad for the people who will lose their jobs because a group of industry dinosaurs got left behind……

The thing that pisses me off is a company like Deloitte will keep dragging there heels (Paid & working for the banks and creditors) over offers as they get paid the longer they have control…..At one point a company I worked for was paying them £38,000 an hour to “sell/save” the business. But the banks and creditors have no idea what to do so they lose that money the longer it takes and I guess they see 1p in £1 is better than nothing and pumping in more money won’t help.

Fucking hate Deloittes (rant over:)I will stop or this just becomes really boring and I go blitz attack one of their offices…….

edit*** Someone just sent me this, Not sure it’s 100% right about ownership!?
    But it’s interesting if your into this kind of thing….

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/15/hmv-administration-universal-million-bill

essgee09
    Participant

I`m in Canada.I just heard that canadian stores will stay open.They`re a different entity they say.I don`t go there often but it`s good news since there`s not many music stores left

Mattman
    Participant

We had a local place that was open for, well… ever, go under a few years ago. It was my go-to spot when I was in high-school / college in the 90’s. Sad to see it go, but even I only buy Dinosaur Jr CDs as physical discs, anymore, and only because I have them all going back to “Dinosaur” (original release). Everything else goes straight into Google Play, these days.

Oddly enough, I ended up working down the hall from the guy who used to manage said store, in my grown-up office job, a few years ago. Really cool guy. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.