Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Head Count – Who's going to the 30th Anniversary Show?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Obseqio
    Participant

Hey all! It’s been dead around here. The 30th anniversary show wasn’t even discussed here. So, who going and what dates. I’ll be there opening night and that’s it. They just added another show though. I’m sure it’ll sell out. I hope we’ll be talking about an RSD release about this time next week!

axisboldaslove
    axisboldaslove
    Participant

I’m sorry to say I won’t be going- too far away and a busy time of year for us (and in the used bookstore business a busy time of year is nothing to complain about!) but I’m guessing there will be a good sold-out turn out.

Obseqio, you mentioned “It’s been dead around here”. I’m still fairly new here and when I first showed up I thought this place would be very busy. We are, after all, talking about THE AMAZING Dinosaur Jr! Sometimes I feel like I’m in on the worlds greatest secret. There are few bands who have shaped my listening world as much as this band and for me this goes way back to 1963 when I acquired my first LP, Beach Boy’s, “Shut Down Volume 2”. After that it was hearing “Like a Rolling Stone” when it first came out and then in 1967 when I found $5 on some railroad tracks and took that bill to a record store and bought “Are You Experienced” and “Fresh Cream”. And of course other great finds since then but Dino/J- wow!! SO happy to be a fan!

Have a great time at the 30th and I’ll look forward to yours and hopefully some others reviews!

Obseqio
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Axis, sorry you can’t make it!

Yeah, every piece of news on Dino used to be mentioned and discussed here up to about 4 months ago. It just seems like it’s slowed down a lot, because no one mentioned even this news as soon as it came out. Maybe when the next album comes out we’ll see more movement around here. I’ll definitely submit my review of the show though!

I’m glad to hear of your experience of life changing music. When we were growing up it seemed to happen a lot more than it does now, but thankfully it still happens. Dino is my no. 1 though. I’m glad they’re still doing it! How many bands can say that?

axisboldaslove
    axisboldaslove
    Participant

“Next album”! That’s music to my ears and the first I’ve heard of an upcoming Dino release. Always excited to hear that kind of news!

It’s very hard for me to say this or that band is my #1 favorite but if I had to pick one, Dinosaur Jr would certainly be a very strong choice (right up there with Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young , The Replacements and a few others at the top of my list). The breadth of Dino’s work is amazing and the strength of there playing to this day is fantastic. I have nerve damage in my hearing so I actually may never get the chance to see them live but I have all the records but one (simple because I haven’t found the first one in it’s original state at a price I’m willing to pay- but I know I’ll do it one of these days) and often catch videos on line and immensely enjoy watching the guys play. And the Bug live DVD gets a lot of play around here!

Looking forward to your reunion show review, Obseqio!

BikePHL
    Participant

I have 2 tickets to the December 5th show and am looking for trade them for tickets to December 6th. Anyone interested?

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

[quote quote=231625]Hey all! It’s been dead around here. The 30th anniversary show wasn’t even discussed here.

[/quote]

Seriously and a lot of that is on me. It seems like most everyone has shifted to Facebook / Twitter and such these days. I have to admit I get so busy feeding those monsters I sometimes forget to come back to the home base. Trying to find a happy medium on sharing stuff across the board without going totally over board. Always open to suggestions!

I will not be able to make any of the shows either. Hope some of you lucky enough to be there will be sharing your experiences!

According to Murph new album is being recorded and hopefully out July(ish)…….!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by jeremiahjeremiah.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by jeremiahjeremiah.
    maf303
    Participant

I’m going to the show tonight Dec 4th. Can’t wait. Was at the YLAOM 25th which was so sick especially with all the special guests like Kurt Vile Kim Gordon, Johnny Marr and Frank Black. I’m hoping this exceeds that one. Also looking for a tribute to Scott Weiland R.I.P. Tonight. Anyone who went last night have a set list and know what time they officially went on? Thanks. P

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster
    Obseqio
    Participant

Alright ladies and gents, I’m just waking up from making the trip from Baltimore and back. So the show was awesome as can be expected. I got there at 6:15 and I was the first in line. I met the owner of the Whale guitar and her friend at the front door. It’s on display until tonight on stage. Doors were opened to the bar downstairs at 7:00 and doors opened to the venue at 8:00. Dinosaur went on at 9:00. The props on stage were pretty cool, they dug up the hitch hiker and friend from the 1993 tour. There’s a guy inflatable Monster Boy (w/ peace sign) in the back, the kick drum has ‘Arties’ face on it and There is an animation of the Dinosaur Album Cover in the background and there are a few different sequences. The Butterfly flys in and out, and a rain, snow and sunshine sequence.

They went right into the album in the original sequence. It was really good. I knew it would quite have the feel of the other two albums because it is so different, but I must say I finally, finally got to hear The Leper live and it was sick. Before starting Pointless J says, “Here is one of our weirder songs…” which again is something I anticipated, but they pulled it off and it sounded really good. I was standing right in front of J and he was so on point with the guitar sounds for each part I just really have to give it to him. They all sounded fantastic!

So around 9:45 they finished the set and went off stage. Around 10:20 they came on and started with Feel the Pain. It took a while to start because Lou was having technical difficulties with his bass, they got started and halfway through the song his bass goes out and the song just crashes. In come the techs and fix it to bring out the first guest Steve Gunn to play Yeah We Know. Steve Gunn played with Kurt Vile and the Violators. They played Budge with no guest and then this pretty cool looking skinny chick comes out to sing Get Me. I didn’t get her name. Could it have been Tiffany Anders???? Two more songs and next guest is Kurt Vile to play Crumble, yes fantastic!Two more songs and the finale was none other than Kim Gordon to sing Don’t . I saw her do it three years ago and it was just as awesome the second time, she brought down the house. They played a final song for an encore, but I don’t know what it is. Either a cover or material for a the next album. Kurt vile came out again and the road manager played a second drum kit in the back. The song was cool mellow and sololicious. That concluded the set. Also worthy of mention is that J Mascis’ kid Rory was in the background the whole time with these big ear phone sound protection device, very cute.

Here’s that second set list
    Feel Pain
    We Know Steve Gunn
    Budge
    Get Me Guest unknown????
    Corners
    Pieces
    Crumble Kurt Vile
    Choppin
    Freak
    Don’t Kim Gordon

Encore, song unknown Kurt Vile voice/guitar and Road Manager second drums

axisboldaslove
    axisboldaslove
    Participant

Great review, Obseqio! Lots of excellent detail. It really sounds like you had a great time and it sounds like it was an amazing show! Thanks so much for posting it!

axisboldaslove
    axisboldaslove
    Participant

Great photos, Jeremiah! Thanks for posting them! I hope they come out with a DVD!

maf303
    Participant

Thank you Obsequio and Jeremiah. Sounds like another great show. The IG clips surfacing are good too.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

Thanks for the excellent review @Obseqio ! I am SO jealous 🙂 That may have been Eleanor Friedberger you saw there on “Get Me”

Hope some vids show up soon!

Why don't you like me? #dinosaurjr @kimletgordon #dont #becauseyousteponmytoes #jmascis #rodarte

A video posted by Jay Fitzgerald (@milkyspeedvagen) on

Javro
    Javro

Thanks for the review Obseqio. The next best thing to being there. I’m on 6 months gardening leave at the moment, was so tempted to fly over for last week. Family weren’t too keen on it though…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.