Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Long Distance Drunk
    Participant

One of my friends in college counted GWAR as his favorite band. Anything to bum out the Dave Matthews/Phish/Dead/Buffet set that ruled the school. With songs like Baby D*ck F*ck, how can you really go wrong?

FogLight
    Participant

Anybody out there like Gwar ? I didn’t own any Gwar albums until I bought one last night, but I’d heard so much about how outrageous their show was, I thought I’d go check it out. It was actually less offensive and more funny than I expected. I laughed my ass off. Their monster costumes were very well done and probably expensive. The theater had 19 rows of seats (I counted) and they wrapped the first 14 rows with plastic to protect them from the fake blood unleashed by Gwar. The lead singer guy was hilarious and spoke in this monster voice the whole time. For example after the first song the crowd was like "yeah Gwar!" and he said "Shut up! Gwar does not need your approval! If we want your approval we will beat it out of you!" In between songs they would do these little skits and famous people like Mike Tyson or Osama Bin Laden would come out on stage and they would always end up being chopped to pieces with axes and swords. It was probably similar to what Alice Cooper used to do. During the carnage, fake blood would fly out about a dozen rows into the crowd. The climax of the show was when a 15-foot tall dinosaur came out and ate the pope and then fought with Gwar. I don’t know how many people were in the dinosaur outfit, but it was pretty amazing. The crowd was pretty diverse, of course there were some tattooed metal heads, some younger kids, and then some older guys who looked like they didn’t get out too much. Afterwards I saw some people who had been down in front and they were soaked in the fake blood. All in all, it was a unique experience to say the least. A combination of horror, comedy, and a rock concert.

malcom
    Participant

To reveal a little secret, GWAR is a joke band. The group was origionally concieved by a group of college students as a sort of speed metal Spinal Tap. (Un?)fortuanately, the speed metal community fell for it hook line and sinker, saying that GWAR was the most extreme band ever.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.