Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Robert
    Participant

Really love this song, how it starts right into an explosion of guitars!
    Does anyone know if he really started the song like this, or cut away a part of the song, to have it start into a solo?
    OK, I know that was a shit for brain sentence, sorry ’bout that, hope y’all still understand my question.

simmons
    Participant

hi robert..

that exploding guitar solo is played over the same chord progression as on the chorus.. so it’s really just the chorus with a solo on top, sliding into the verse..

Robert
    Participant

Fair enough, BUT, -does the song really start like that, or did he listen to the song after it was recorded and thought "would be kinda cool if I cut away the start of the song and just let it start there." :?: :D

simmons
    Participant

if you take away the solo, you hear that the song actually doesn’t start that abrupt. so I think he found out after having recorded the song, that it would be cool to start with a solo already on the first bar. hope i explain what i want to say well enough.. If you take the acoustic version from "i’m doing fine", you could play the WAS -solo at the same time the chord starts.. don’t know if I answered your question… :D

Robert
    Participant

jupp you did, and I agree. so I like your answer :)

penis tree
    Participant

Without A Sound is easily the weakest Dino album, but I do like that song.

FlyingCloud
    Participant

IMHO Without A Sound is not "easily the weakest" Dino album. if you listen thoroughly to it, each song is strong, with their own qualities.
    it’s only maybe a more restrained album than the others, and it might need some time to have its qualities discovered. I think lots of folks didn’t give the album the time it needs :? :?:
    also it has been said, J wrote all songs in the same key because he couldn’t sing that well at that time due to pneumonia.

but there are great songs on it like Grab It (yeah :) ) I Don’t Think So, Even You, Over your Shoulder & especially Get Out Of This :!:

…so: no, I don’t think this album is weak :) I recommend to listen to it again :):):)

penis tree
    Participant
    "Flying Cloud" wrote:
    Blah blah blah.

Hey, don’t tell me my opinion is wrong. ‘Tis impossible.

I listened to that album every day during the summer of 2002, and I have come to the conclusion that itis the weakest Dinosaur Jr. album.

Fin.

Cloud9
    Participant

[size size=24px]Seemed Like The Thing 2 Do
    Mind Glow
    Over Yr Shoulder
    Get Out Of This
    I Don’t Think So
    [/size]

SG
    Participant

I agree with PT on Without A Sound,it is the weakest.Maybe J should`ve waited a bit longer after Where You Been to do a follow up,plus J was ill around the time of WAS,and John Agnello`s producing was so so;he also did Buffalo Tom`s Sleepy Eyed which had a similar problem(he did do a good job on St Johnny`s Speed Is Dreaming so I`m not dissing Agnello totally :wink: ) sure WAS has some great tunes but there`s a couple of songs that are`nt that good.The production seems to be the issue with me.
    I think you have to be critical sometimes even with yr favorite bands.As much as I like Eleventh Dream Day I think their first ep is rather weak.I still gave WAS 3 and a half stars on RYM so it`s not that weak.

jasper
    Participant

Without A Sound is an excellent album. J’s lyrics for this album are far better than any other lyrics he’s ever written — with the possible exception of Where You Been. That, combined with some addictive melodies and restrained, effective guitar work, puts it ahead of most of the other Dinosaur Jr. albums. In my opinion.

"Figures:
    I don’t get to meet you.
    I know,
    whatever,
    it’s still the same."

(As for the production, I don’t hear anything wrong with it. The album was produced, incidentally, by J himself. John Agnello engineered and mixed the album, like he did for Where You Been.)

FlyingCloud
    Participant
    "penis tree" wrote:
    "Flying Cloud" wrote:
    blah blah blah

ROTFL [img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/roflmao.gif[/img]

… and, I said IMHO, monsieur.

but your comments on WAS had the effect that I listened to this fine album again, and again I have to say it’s fine :)

simmons
    Participant

the production of WYB and WAS is the most radiofriendly of J’s albums. And of course take a run at the sun and etc. my question is why did Hand it over go back to a more lowfi production… did J think it would sell better or did he not think about that at all?from the interviews I’ve heard, J sounds a bit dissappointed or unhappy about the poor sales of Hand it over.

Personally I think it would be very interesting if Hand it Over was produced the same way as WYB and WAS. It would probably sell more if the production didn’t sound low fi. it’s kind of strange that it was recorded at J’s home, I would rather think it would be more logic to follow the same steps as WYB and WAS, cause they sold good. Instead Hand it Over was produced at J’s home, probably making it a much cheaper production, but also a less listener/salesfriendly album.

when the tunes are so good as J’s, I think it’s mainly the production that keeps him from selling million records.

I assume it’s not J’s goal to sell millions of records, but when a artist is dissappointed with the recordsales, It’s not right just to blame it on lack of promotion.

Robert
    Participant

You don’t like the production on Hand It Over? I really love the sound and feel of that album!
    As for J selling more albums, I think it’s more a question of promotion, luck among other things, not so much the production. I mean, Slanted And Enchanted shifted quite a few copies.

simmons
    Participant

i love the album, no doubt. I like the rawness. it sounds more organic and real. but I feel more people would be into it , if the production was more like WYB and WAS. or some exspensive producing like Radiohead.

what irritates me sometimes when I listen to Hand it Over, and More Light aswell, are those s-sounds on the vocals.. tsss- sounds ..- sharp s-sounds.
    Aren’t J using any pop-filter when recording his vocals?
    it’s frustrating listening to it when you first have discovered it. A band of dinosaur’s caliber should manage to avoid that more.
    most bands improve their production as time developes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.