Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic German band’s that are ok

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Thought Police
    Participant

Dear Mr. Irish Whip !

I agree with your statement "Anyway, I’m glad we don’t all like the same bands, what a boring world this would be!"

The lyrics of Rammstein just seem to be a little, mmhh, what is the rigt word ? "Dumb" probably [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img].
    Even if they have some riffs that really rock, there are bands like Ministry who have done that long before. To me it seems like Rammstein just took the guitars of Ministry and combined them with some kind of Laibach-Lyrics.
    Doesn’t anybody think that the lyrics are a little to 1939like for a German Band ?
    They do have a lot of fire on-stage, though.

Enjoy listening,

Stefan

Javro
    Javro

why are you all ignoring david hasselhoff and die fantastischen vier???

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

Salami fella – i know 18th dye…I have one 7" that’s kinda okay…they did that "tribute to a Bus" LP that Albini recorded that was actually pretty good…can’t really think what they sound like now…a bit like Sloy – were they German too (another Albini recorded band).

Incidently mr. salami are you my anonymous eggwater.net contributor?

if so come clean!!!

later

eggwater out

SG
    Participant

It seems that when I talk about an obscure indie band I can depend on Eggwater and den buck to know what I`m talking about.
    18th Dye got signed to Matador with Yo La Tengo`s help,they loved them.Tribute To A Bus is my fav album by them,Done is pretty good as well,there`s also a compilation of demos and b sides that I don`t know the name of,don`t have that.they also did one ep called Crayon.
    dimpfelmoser said awhile ago that she interviewed them,I thought that was cool.There is a song on Tribute To A Bus called D,since dimp used to sign off her posts as D I wonder if it`s a reference to her.

Eggwater-no I did`nt contribute to your site,will check it out later though.
    everyone here should check out Adam`s site if you have`nt yet,very cool.

irishwhip
    Participant

Hey Stefan Thought Police,

I guess I just don’t take them too seriously and I don’t think they do it theirselves. Links 2 3 4? That can’t be taken seriously. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

BTW: Die Fantastischen 4 sind auch ok!!

Pim

<FONT>[ September 26, 2001 02:20 PM: 1 Irish Whip ]</font>

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

just call me obscure indie fanatic…

hey! salami…I thought it might’ve been you ‘cos the person signed themselves as S.M. – me thought ‘salami-man’ – I’m actually hoping it might be Steven Malkamus – now that’d be quite the koolest.

later

Adam

PS. I’ve exhausted my knowledge of German bands…call me if there’s an in depth conversation about Kraftwerk.

out…..

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Sloy were French (anyone out there that wants to start a ‘French band that etc…’ [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img] )
    One great album ‘Plug’, produced by Steve Albini! It was their debut, their later stuff isn’t that good….

maxini
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eggwater:
    <STRONG>also whoever said Bob Hund (I thought Lund) was Swedish…cheers..i thought they were German…though I ain’t that great at foreign languages (except french)…. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey, look out for a band called Bergman Rock, which in fact will be the same band as Bob Hund but with english lyrics. An album is to be expected. Should be pretty cool. Cheers.

SG
    Participant

Did anyone hear about that a guy from Atari Teenage Riot died?
    Eggwater-maybe it was Malkmus,way cool if it was.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

From the Digital Harcore site (the recordlabel of Atari Teenage Riot):

LATEST NEWS – SEPTEMBER 2001

Carl Crack of Atari Teenage Riot Dies

It was with great distress that we heard about the death of Carl Crack. Carl had been a member of Atari Teenage Riot since its inception and contributed as MC and frontperson with a style uniquely appropriate to the band.

Robert
    Participant

Can’t excactly say I was shocked to hear that Carl Crack died, guess his life style came with a General Surgeons warning. Sad though, both to those close to him and all the people who enjoyed the music he was creating as a member of ATR. Found this as NME:
    ATARI TEENAGE RIOT FOUNDER DIES.
    ATARI TEENAGE RIOT founder member CARL CRACK has died.

He was found in his Berlin apartment on September 6.

Little is known about the exact details of his death, but it is believed there was a huge deterioration in his health tied to years of over abuse of alcohol and pills.

Crack, who had just turned 30 in May, had a history of mental illness. The band had taken a one year break to allow him time to seek psychiatric help. It is understood he and ATR mainman Alec Empire hadn’t spoken in a year, but had been emailing each other recently.

Robert
    Participant

From the ATR website:
    LATEST NEWS – SEPTEMBER 2001

Carl Crack of Atari Teenage Riot Dies

It was with great distress that we heard about the death of Carl Crack. Carl had been a member of Atari Teenage Riot since its inception and contributed as MC and frontperson with a style uniquely appropriate to the band.

It is generally known that Carl had received treatment for psychiatric problems in the past but friends had not reported anything recently that would give rise to particular concern.

ATR were taking a year out after exhaustively promoting their last release and Carl had been working on solo material to follow up his Black Ark release as well as performing with a variety of other artists.

Carl died on September 6th but the public announcement was delayed while his family were informed. He was 30 years old.

Alec Empire said;

„I played in a band with Carl for ten years. We’ve been through a lot together in all those times. He was my friend. We didn’t have much contact with each other since the last bout of heavy touring with ATR ended in March 2000. There was too much between all the members of the band and we all needed space to recover. Carl and I decided to write each other because it was nearly impossible to talk.

He wrote to me that things were going better for him, he was playing music in different projects. And that he wanted to start a long-term therapy. He had suffered since a teenager from psychotic attacks, which I watched getting worse each year. I hoped that he would be able to work things out. His letters sounded positive and optimistic. His sudden death has hit me very hard and it is not easy for me to find the right words.

A lot of little events and situations keep coming into my mind. When I think of Carl I don’t think only of the great stage presence and charisma he had, especially on the tours for our album, "The Future Of War", I also remember him dancing to soul music at parties, laughing and singing Curtis Mayfield songs. He brought a tension into the band that is very rare and special these days. I am very proud of him, and of what he has achieved as an artist. People like us can’t even imagine how hard it must have been for him to deal with those attacks, to record and perform, and on top of that to take care of his personal life and relationships.

He was not only a vocalist with a very unique style, he also recorded one of the deepest instrumental albums I know: "The Black Ark E.P." It was his decision. I just wish we had talked in person one more time, even though we
    cleared things in the letters. I will miss him. Carl, we’ll never forget you.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.