Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Funny excerpt from 1994 J interview, by Kim Deal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

squeapler
    Participant

I was paging through an old issue of Raygun magazine from October 1994 and found a cool article where Kim Deal from the Breeders interviews J. J talks about Lollapalooza, his visit to Alaska, and it also contains this funny part where Kim and J talk about how interviewers try to deal with J:

Kim Deal: (talking about J’s interview experiences in Germany)
    So supposedly some guy sat down with you and because you’re difficult to interview, right, he came in and said, "I hear you are very difficult. I brought a pen and some crayons and a paper. I want you to draw a picture for me." And supposedly you just got up and took off.

J: No. He said, "I hear you are boring and difficult?" (Laughs)

That totally cracked me up! I can just picture what the expression on J’s face must have been when the guy whipped out his paper and crayons. :roll: :P :D

Pelt Sematary
    Participant

Hey! I actually remember that thing – I mean, I’ve seen the original German mag. I think I have a copy of that article somewhere…but where? I am pretty sure J drew a circle, but I also think there was some sort of assignment given, like "Try to pinpoint your life/philosophy" or something… And I also remember that J was asked about religion, whether he believed in god or the likes, and he said something along the lines of "I think there’s something…that keeps everyone going…the most important thing is that nobody dies!"
    D’oh -a lot of "I think" and "something" here, right?
    To "compensate" for that, here’s a little quote (also drawn from memory but this time the Kurzzeitgedächtnis) from another interview from a German mag sometime around the release of "More Light":
    "I still think about suicide a lot. But I’m sure it’d solve none of my problems".
    Now, what problems does ‘the man’ have… :shock:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

funny find, squeapler, thanks for sharing :lol: :!: 8)

should also be interesting to read the interviews you’re describing, Pelt Sematary, haven’t seen them anywhere before :shock:

squeapler
    Participant

yeah I’d like to see those German interviews too. Kim and J go on at some length in the Raygun article about how blunt/rude the German interviewers come off. Don’t mean to slight any German fans that might be reading but I have to say, I was in an MBA program with people from like 120 countries and the German and Russian folks were always the most forward. so when J says they say stuff like, "I don’t understand this record at all!" it just sounds typical.

It sounds like J and Kim Deal were pretty buddy-buddy in this interview – she talks about introducing him to her parents, him knowing Kelley and so on. does anyone know if J and Kim are still friendly? i’m just curious.

p.s. forgot to add, Pelt how is that Giant Sand? one of my friends has gotten really into Howe Gelb and I’ve yet to hear any…as for what problems J has, I dunno…gall bladders…house fires…usual annoyances of our lives I guess :?

rambleon
    Participant

suicide ???? :shock: :shock: :o :o … that’s not good … i thought all his meditation would have made him a lot happier ???

i’d like to see/read some of those german articles as well … but would it be too much trouble to translate ?

Calimero jr.
    Participant

I’m pretty sure there’s a version of "Do you love me now" with J doing the back vocals…just can’t find it anymore….

SG
    Participant

The version of Do You Love Me Now with J and the Breeders is on the Divine Hammer cd single 8)

expect nothing
    Participant

i’ve got it on soulseek if your intrested
    My name is cow girl and its in the breeders folder, i havent got much shared at the minute im having a clean up so it will be easy to find :mrgreen:

expect nothing
    Participant

If you do want anything from me (theres not much at the minute but i usually have quite a lot of albums on there + a brand new faster internet connection) – select add user from the toolbar along the top, this appears after you click anywhere inside the userlist box – if you enter my user name cow girl i will appear in you userlist – then browse my files and its in the music folder in the breeders :) …. hopfully i havent confused you to the point of never using soulseek again – its a really good program, im sure someone else will manage to explain it better than me though. Theres also a dinosaur jr room on there which Flying Cloud set up called Dinosaur Jr 101 :D

Calimero jr.
    Participant

Is soulseek any good ? I must say I’ve been quite disappointed by Kazaa….too slow and it just seems that I can’t never find any music I’m looking for… :cry:

AGAP
    Participant

Soulseek is great, find tons of great music! Here’s a link to a thread about our Soulseek group…

Soulseek :aliensmile:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey Calimero jr., soulseek rocks 8)
    I like it much more than any other file sharing platform since Audiogalaxy. And downloading full albums is even easier than on AG.

it’s surely worth a try :)

if you join there, you can enter the chatrooms called Dinosaur Jr 101 or Freakscene Junkies — but be careful: there is another chatroom called FreakScene Junkies (with a big S) this one has been captured by mean folks, I wouldn’t recommend to join it :(

If you’ve got questions, you can ask the people in the chatrooms, or post in the Soulseek topic :idea:

expect nothing
    Participant

soulseeks greaat – its got loads of great music, and the chat room thing is really good and you can download folders which is great for getting an album, instead of searching for every track :) like FC said be careful which group you join if you join any though i’d reccomend dinosaur jr 101

Calimero jr.
    Participant

Thanks for your replies, I’ll give it a try !! :)

washer
    Participant

do you love me now jr is also avaliable on what i consider the definitive breeders fan site http://www.noaloha.com which has mp3’s of most all of the breeders singles, eps, and demo’s from pod..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.